gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:38:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are there people here who still believe the David Leaf version of the story?  (Read 26560 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »

Anyone think David would be happy about having his Smile London concert footage rejected by BriMel? Or that the reason was that Brian didn't smile enough and looked too much at the teleprompter, so BriMel had an entirely new concert shot, one in which David's close friend Brian was "urged" to smile more for the camera? Considering that David had no compunction about dissing Marilyn,  I would think the relationship may have been uneasy to begin with. Anyone Brian married who read David's book would wonder what he thought of her or said about her when she wasn't around.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »

Have you ever spoken with David about his book, and the reaction to it in the extended BB family ?  Or to members of that family mentioned in it ? I have, several times since 1978. I would respectfully venture that, in this arena of BB history if in no other, my knowledge exceeds yours.

Your basic premise is flawed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »

OMG, so you are one of those superfans that gained access to the inner sanctum of the band and cowrote one mediocre selling out of print book. If you are so privy, then spill, don't tease. I'm not sure what premise you are even referring to. Surely you know the reason Leaf is no longer in the BriMel circle, but all you do is criticize points mooted/guessed at by others. It seems to be a pattern in more than one topic.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »

And exactly how many books have you been commissioned to write, if we're going to get personal ? How many reissue liner notes has Capitol paid you to supply ? How many times have you been asked to help research box sets or a TV documentary ?

That little outburst aside, my point is simple: I've spoken to David about his book and his friendship with Brian. I've also spoken to some of the people mentioned in the book about its reception. I'm guessing you haven't so I pointed out as politely as I can (and that's pretty hard for me, as anyone here knows  Grin ) that in this area of BB/BW knowledge, my information trumps your speculation. You decided to turn it nasty. Again, as anyone here will tell you, that's not a wise move. Usually. These days, I'm Peaceful Perce, and accordingly, having had my say, I'll make no more reference to your flawed premise and the spurious reasoning built thereupon, at least in public. That's what PMs are for.  Smiley

... and breathe,  Grin

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

I still consider David a friend, even though we've not met since 2005.

I thought you sat near him at the TLOS premier (2007)?

Now I sound weird.

Reason I think I know this is because I remember a story you told of him giving you a knowing nod of approval at the opening numbers as they unraveled.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »

I still consider David a friend, even though we've not met since 2005.

I thought you sat near him at the TLOS premier (2007)?

Now I sound weird.

Reason I think I know this is because I remember a story you told of him giving you a knowing nod of approval at the opening numbers as they unraveled.

Good thing I have people here to remind me what I said seven years ago. You are entirely correct sir. I was sitting directly in front or the 'management' row, a fact which caused me no little anguish the following night.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

Maybe there needs to be an "Ask 20 Questions of AGD" board, where he can cryptically lead you to guess the answer to your questions such as,"Is it bigger than a breadbox, or smaller than a mouse? Animal, vegetable, or mineral?" Not meant as an insult, BTW.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »

Hey Kittycat, you're persistent. Just PM AGD. It's that simple. This is a public message board and some of this stuff shouldn't be aired out in a public forum. PM AGD - it's that simple. Then away go the endless guessing games on the board.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »

Somebody else asked first, so it's not just me. AGD is not the person to ask and I don't think anyone else would answer specifically, either. I guess silence is golden in BB insider world.  Sometimes silence can speak volumes,though, so it's guessable.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »

And exactly how many books have you been commissioned to write, if we're going to get personal ? How many reissue liner notes has Capitol paid you to supply ? How many times have you been asked to help research box sets or a TV documentary ?

That little outburst aside, my point is simple: I've spoken to David about his book and his friendship with Brian. I've also spoken to some of the people mentioned in the book about its reception. I'm guessing you haven't so I pointed out as politely as I can (and that's pretty hard for me, as anyone here knows  Grin ) that in this area of BB/BW knowledge, my information trumps your speculation. You decided to turn it nasty. Again, as anyone here will tell you, that's not a wise move. Usually. These days, I'm Peaceful Perce, and accordingly, having had my say, I'll make no more reference to your flawed premise and the spurious reasoning built thereupon, at least in public. That's what PMs are for.  Smiley

... and breathe,  Grin

AGD showing remarkable restraint and civility in the face of outright rudeness and aggression - kudos!  I appreciate how difficult that must be.  You the man!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx