gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:03:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions for Blondie Chaplin  (Read 6913 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am currently in contact with Blondie, as I had some questions for him (that I'll hopefully be publishing) about his time with The Flame(s) and the creation of their 1970 album 'The Flame' which is a masterpiece.

However, I thought it would be nice to open a thread for everybody to ask him some questions. The Flame, The Beach Boys, his solo career, whatever. He's pretty busy, so I don't know when these will be answered, but the point is that some of them will be answered.

So ask away, and I'll relay what I can to him!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:36:20 PM by Woodstock » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »

Why was he such a complete jack-off to the person that had a website (practically) dedicated to the Flames? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »

OK, here's a couple:

1. Do you have memories of singing "Carry Me Home" and working with Dennis (and Daryl Dragon) in the studio?
2. Who won the fist fight between you and Steve Love at Madison Square Garden, December, 1973?
3. How many tracks did you sing on Brian's new album?
4. Are you ever going to tour with The Stones again?
5. Tell him I enjoyed the hell out of his (Blondie's) rendition of Wild Honey on the MIC box (Jersey '72).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:08:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:05:01 PM »

Didn't you just play middle man with an author of some article who use to post here?

I seem to remember that being me.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

Oh, that was YOU???  Edit will be forthcoming....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »

I'd like to know if he's still friends with Ricky and if they've done anything ever since the BB's and Flames days
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:57:53 PM by Jarhead » Logged
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »

1) How did you meet David Johansen? Did you ever see the New York Dolls perform? What is the story behind the album "Here Comes The Night"?
2) Do you keep in contact with Ricky at all? The songs you wrote together for The Beach Boys were incredible, is there a chance you would write with him again?
3) are there any songs you wrote with Ricky/any of the BBs besides Carry Me Home, Hard Times and the studio version of We Got Love that remain unreleased?
4) Have you had the opportunity to listen to any of the material from the second Flame album since you recorded it? How would you compare it to the first Flame album that you recorded for Brother?

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:27:33 PM by superunison » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »

I met Blondie at a "Byrds Revisited" gig (with Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, Rick Roberts, and Skip Battyn) in Charleston, SC back in 1986.  They played "Sail On Sailor," but Blondie laughed at my request for "Funky Pretty!"  At that time Blondie said that he didn't even have a copy of his own records with The Flames and The Flame.  Has he been able to track down copies for his own collection (or does he even care)?

EDIT: Another one -- Is the Les Paul gold top he plays today the same one that he had back in his Beach Boys days?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:39:19 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »

How did Carl react to him leaving the band in 1973?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

I'd like to know if he's still friends with Ricky if they've done anything ever since the BB's and Flames days

IIRC Ricky played on Blondie's first soloalbum. And then there was a short Flame-reunion

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »

Did he disappear entirely from the Beach Boys circle after he left, or did he maintain contact with any of the group members?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »

Ask him "what if the Beach Boys never existed"  Roll Eyes

Seriously, ask what (if any) his plans are for 2014 in regards to possible further recording/touring with Brian (and Al & Dave).
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »

1.  Was it Al rather than Carl who brought you to the attention of the Beach Boys (a story I seem to remember hearing...)?
2.  Do you remember recording I've Got Love?
3.  How many of the other Beach Boys are on Hard Times, Leaving This Town, Hold On Dear Brother, Here She Comes?
4.  Were you really a bad influence on Keith Richards?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »

You guys should phrase your questions so they don't require "Yes" "No" type answers.

For example, rather than asking "Do you remember recording I've Got Love?"

you should instead ask

"What do you remember about recording I've Got Love?"
"What memories do you have of singing "Carry Me Home" and working with Dennis (and Daryl Dragon) in the studio?"

etc.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Dad.  It's not like we're asking Brian Wilson questions here!  Shocked

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »

Brian would still give a question a one-word answer no matter how it was phrased if he didn't like the interviewer.  LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »

Were you really a bad influence on Keith Richards?

Good 'un, Ed!   Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 03:08:43 PM »

Ask Blondie if Keith Richards was a bad influence on him? Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »

1) How did you meet David Johansen? Did you ever see the New York Dolls perform? What is the story behind the album "Here Comes The Night"?
2) Do you keep in contact with Ricky at all? The songs you wrote together for The Beach Boys were incredible, is there a chance you would write with him again?
3) are there any songs you wrote with Ricky/any of the BBs besides Carry Me Home, Hard Times and the studio version of We Got Love that remain unreleased?
4) Have you had the opportunity to listen to any of the material from the second Flame album since you recorded it? How would you compare it to the first Flame album that you recorded for Brother?

Thanks!!!
I second number 3.
Also, what are your memories and/or opinions of Jack Rieley?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:10 AM »

I really want to know what it was like working with the stones and why is it he didn't join them for the last couple of tours?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »

Tell about Brian's role on CATP & Holland - how much he was there, did he have any ideas or even opinions on Blondie's and Ricky's songs, were you even slightly genius-awestruck of him when you first met him, how do you he felt about you joining the group...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »

Is there any chance (please please please!) that the Flame's second album will ever see the light of day?  What is that album like?

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

Tell about Brian's role on CATP & Holland - how much he was there, did he have any ideas or even opinions on Blondie's and Ricky's songs, were you even slightly genius-awestruck of him when you first met him, how do you he felt about you joining the group...
I second that one too, that's a good one!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

Hey Woodstock, I think we got enough good questions here. Did you forward them to Blondie yet?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

Why hasn't Fragile Thread seen an official release?  Blondie's other two solo albums are fantastic – some of the most creative, contemporary Beach Boys' solo material – but this set in languishing. Would love to hear it sometime.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx