gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:45:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which version of Big Sur do you prefer?  (Read 15225 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:40 AM »

I also feel that the Holland version is the right one for that album. It fits nicely in the build-up through "Beaks" to "California". Its intimacy is better suited (pun unintentional)----much as I like it, the 4/4 version feels too much like a stand-alone track to be part of a suite. As for the harmonica, it makes me think more of a mellow Neil Young than Dylan.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 05:01:57 AM »

Holland version.  I find the lyrical/lead melody fit a bit awkward on the other.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:43 AM »

I feel the lyrics/melody fit the Landlocked version best - as it was the first version, the lyrics/melody were written for 4/4.  They don't fit as well IMO in the waltz.  And I've never liked the suite anyway - Beaks is awful - they would have been better off keeping Big Sur and California Saga separate.  They could follow each other of course.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:16 AM »

Holland version is the greatest, of course. There's a reason why they re-recorded it. Landlocked version is nice, but the Holland one is just awesome. So simple.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »

The Holland version is the one.  However, if you have not heard the 4/4, you owe it to yourself to find a copy.  Truly one that should have shown up on a twofer or box   (or has it?). 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

The Holland version is the one.  However, if you have not heard the 4/4, you owe it to yourself to find a copy.  Truly one that should have shown up on a twofer or box   (or has it?). 

No, it hasn't shown up anywhere, Don, as I alluded to earlier. Only on bootlegs, i.e. 'Landlocked'.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »

I like the 4/4 version better. I love the vocals at the beginning right before Mike begins his lead. Having said that, I like the Holland version as well. I just prefer the 4/4 version.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »

Big Sur is generally regarded as Mike's finest hour by BB fans...

Not this fan* - the decision to pare it back to campfire basics to fit with the rest of the "California Saga" suite was 100% correct. The so-called Landlocked version is way too lush.

[* - since you asked... "Let The Wind Blow"... "All I Wanna Do"... "Viggie" (the ocarina mix)... "Kiss Me, Baby"]

Where can one hear that mix of Viggie?

Concerning Big Sur, I like the "Landlocked" version best, it seems a lot more positive than the Holland version, in some ways. I also think the Holland version seems a little dark and weary...not a bad thing, just dont to enjoy it for this song.
I do like the harmonica on the Holland version, reminds me of PiaNo Man.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »

Maybe this song shoulda been up for a vote!  Just for fun.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »

Maybe this song shoulda been up for a vote!  Just for fun.

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Like a poll thread? What a lark!  Not completely sure though - perhaps it's worth a vote on whether we should have a poll? What do you think?  Is there a precedence?

“We live in divisive times.”
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »

Someone mentioned above the possibility of a Deluxe version of "Holland" that makes sense to me that would explain why both "Big Sur" and "We got Love" are missing from MIC and also the fact that they didn't reissue it a couple years ago when they reissued the remasters..this also makes me wonder if they are planning on releasing deluxe versions of "CATP", "Love You", and "15 BO's" since they, too, would have some unreleased tracks on them as well as demo...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

Holland version on Holland. The earlier version on Surf's Up.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

The unreleased version of Big Sur is the superior recording and has a real Beach Boys sound to it.   
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »

Someone mentioned above the possibility of a Deluxe version of "Holland" that makes sense to me that would explain why both "Big Sur" and "We got Love" are missing from MIC and also the fact that they didn't reissue it a couple years ago when they reissued the remasters..this also makes me wonder if they are planning on releasing deluxe versions of "CATP", "Love You", and "15 BO's" since they, too, would have some unreleased tracks on them as well as demo...
Wow, that's my wet dream. Is that only speculation, or is there some kind of rumour about it? They should add Carry Me Home and Hard Times too. Sorry if this is offtopic.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Like a poll thread? What a lark!  Not completely sure though - perhaps it's worth a vote on whether we should have a poll? What do you think?  Is there a precedence?

Wasn't there somebody who complained recently about too many poll threads? I think this deserves a poll thread.

And I agree with the guy who said "Carry Me Home" should be released. That's been on my want list for a couple of decades too.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »

Wow, that's my wet dream. Is that only speculation, or is there some kind of rumour about it? They should add Carry Me Home and Hard Times too. Sorry if this is offtopic.

This is just a rumor I started Wink

Pure speculation on my part. But it would seem to make some sort of sense that the band was "hoarding" Holland-era outtake tracks for some reason. I mean, what individual BB album (except perhaps Sunflower) could have a better chance at a Deluxe edition, complete with hoards of current-day hipster cred, other than Holland?

IMO, I think it's a no-brainer that it's a question of when, not if.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

27 votes so far:

Landlocked version - 14 votes - 51.85%
Holland version      - 13 votes - 48.15%

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:47 AM »

I have the landlocked lp vinyl but haven't listened to it for some time (cause its buried in my vinyl collection) but as I recall, the 4/4 version has some very sweet BB harmony parts.  I think I'll go home today, dig that out, and have my neighbor make a cd for me with his usb turntable. 
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

Used to dig the Landlocked version more, but I think that was partly due to it being unreleased. The Holland version suits the conversational tone of the lyrics much better.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »

I like the Landlocked version, but the backup vocals are too repetitive.  It's a nuance... they're beautful of course, but it's the same thing 50 times. 

So i'm going to have to go with the released version.  Plus, it's a Waltz.  How can you vote against a Waltz?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »

I like the Landlocked version, but the backup vocals are too repetitive.  It's a nuance... they're beautful of course, but it's the same thing 50 times. 

So i'm going to have to go with the released version.  Plus, it's a Waltz.  How can you vote against a Waltz?

Like this: I vote against the waltz! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »

Landlocked version.  The Holland version is too country for my taste.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »

I tried to make this a poll thread but it wouldn't let me.  Sad
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

It's OK, Metalflake's keeping track for us.  Smiley

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

Currently equal with 15 votes apiece.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx