-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Poll thread nightmare
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poll thread nightmare  (Read 34282 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »

I like the polls, shouldn't Beach Boy fans enjoy comparing what they love about the band with other fans?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

I rather like the idea of having a section for polls.  3D
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

Polls should be in another section.  and reality shows shoul d all be on one channel on TV.    Lump the crap together, that's what I say
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »

Let's have a poll on that... but where to put it ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

In Polland.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

I started the twofer polls so I guess I'm partially responsible. My own take is that stuff like this is ok but in moderation.  I left 4 or 5 days between each poll so as to not flood the board. The survivor ones are great and seem to have been really popular and stimulated good discussion. The problem is inevitably people that enjoy them simultaneously start new polls, or resurrect lots of old polls at the same time and before you know it you start p*ssing people off. I think self restraint is the key here.

But sure, if the consensus is to put them in their own board then so be it. Does seem a shame to me as the occasional poll would add variety to he main board.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:35:50 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »

Is it me or are there too many poll threads these days? My impression is that an increasing minority clicks on them and a small number of them participate. Could those topics be grouped in a different category? Am I asking too much. Do people care about this?

To be honest, I don't care.  The guy wants to post a bunch of polls, I don't like polls or participate, but it's his board as much as it is mine and yours.  It doesn't take any longer to skip over his poll than it does to skip over the other threads I don't care about. 

He's not being malicious or anything, he just likes polls and they're on topic.  I don't see a problem with it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »

But sure, if the consensus is to put them in their own board then so be it. Does seem a shame to me as the occasional poll would add variety to he main board.

Occasional is the key word here - currently we have something like 12 running.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »

We should have a poll asking how many people use "a lot" or "alot".

No need for a poll. 'Alot' is wrong. 'A lot' is right. It'd be like arguing over whether you say 'Iown acar' or 'I own a car' - there's no debate, one's wrong and one's right.

yes, of course, this is alot of the reason it's so difficult to evolve the English language: alot of the young punks on dope who cling to the old ways in the face of alot of insurmountable evidence alot of the world is swinging away from them towards the broad vistas of a alot of new experiences. Of course alot of you may try alot of arguments for alot of rights and alot of wrongs, but you'll simply be wasting alot of your time as alot of the new world is chacnging to alot of new uses for alot

Wow...
Maybe it's because it's the proper way. Disney Boy is 100% correct!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with Disney Boy and Eric in terms of the polls. I've always been a poll person, it's always greatly appealed to me.

Though at the same time I can see people not liking it as much. Once again it's subjective.

And this forum wouldn't be the same without the polls. It's one big thing I love about here!

well, of course. As I noted, alot of  the young punks think that way; you're just one in a crowd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the polls, always is such a short time when you're ten

There might be some older folks who like polls too  Shrug and then again not every young person likes them either, not everyone is gonna be in the same category.  for me it all depends on what it's about.
I'm a little late but yea I agree they should have their own separate place on the board since there's been so many of them.  it's a good idea  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:32:29 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »

Occasional is the key word here - currently we have something like 12 running.

There are 3 ongoing, and those are the Survivor ones.

The rest either died a quick death or ran it's course
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

In Polland.

Or...the North Poll.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:57 PM »

In Polland.

Or...the North Poll.

Or the South Poll.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 12:36:10 AM »

I like the polls, shouldn't Beach Boy fans enjoy comparing what they love about the band with other fans?
I feel like the polls are almost as much about comparing what people don't love about the band. 

Ultimately, I come to this board for the discussion...not to read lists of things people don't like.  I wish they were annexed to their own section of the board.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »

For those of us who monitor the board using an RSS reader, here's what the feed looks like nowadays...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »

You can't just put everything you personally aren't interested in (that's on topic) in another section of the forum... Or else we'd have already done that to AGD.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »

You can't just put everything you personally aren't interested in (that's on topic) in another section of the forum... Or else we'd have already done that to AGD.

Nahhh....   AGD would stay, you'd have to go

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »

We should have a poll asking how many people use "a lot" or "alot".

No need for a poll. 'Alot' is wrong. 'A lot' is right. It'd be like arguing over whether you say 'Iown acar' or 'I own a car' - there's no debate, one's wrong and one's right.

yes, of course, this is alot of the reason it's so difficult to evolve the English language: alot of the young punks on dope who cling to the old ways in the face of alot of insurmountable evidence alot of the world is swinging away from them towards the broad vistas of a alot of new experiences. Of course alot of you may try alot of arguments for alot of rights and alot of wrongs, but you'll simply be wasting alot of your time as alot of the new world is chacnging to alot of new uses for alot

Don't you mean "young dopes on punk"?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »

How many times is this issue going to be brought up before something is done?

I speak as someone who still doesn't understand a decent percent of the jargon and stories postulated here less than four years after getting into this band.

Between the meaningless counterfactuals, the redundant opinion threads, and the creepy miscreants whom pop in and out on occasion, there is no space for news nor discussion of the music itself. Which is a crying shame, considering that there's literally a decade's worth of info dealing with incredibly arcane and not-too-often-reported aspects of this band's history buried underneath layers upon layers of garbage. Oh yeah, and some of this info comes from those who have directly contributed to their history. A miserable balance of signal and noise; finding needles in haystacks. Of course, it would also be great if there were simply an option to 'hide' threads... like on other certain forums.

This forum is great, it's just very poorly structured. Unbelievably so. What's with this administration's fear of providing additional, indexed loci for repetitive bullshit? And I don't know any other forums where discussion for the very thing its made for is meant to be centralized within a set number of "generalized" topics which can run upwards to hundreds of pages (see: "Smile Sessions Box Set (2011)" and "Album, Book and Video Reviews And Discussions" boards).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:16:05 AM by appak » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 08:03:05 AM »

It takes a special kind of snobbery to say "Hey, all this info you're giving me?  Sort it how i want it in my mind; it's not worth my time as it is"

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:37 AM »

the creepy miscreants whom pop in and out on occasion
I keep coming back to this unfortunate phrase. If any MB doesn't suffer from creepy miscreants it's this one. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

It takes a special kind of snobbery to say "Hey, all this info you're giving me?  Sort it how i want it in my mind; it's not worth my time as it is"

Snobbery?  Or a sincere desire to improve the signal to noise ratio on this site?  What is the harm of putting the polls in their own section?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

I pretty much only use the "Show unread posts since last visit" button so putting them Survivors and the polls into their own section wouldn't affect me at all. In fact I would make it easier for me. Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 10:25:07 PM »

Snobbery?  Or a sincere desire to improve the signal to noise ratio on this site?  What is the harm of putting the polls in their own section?

What is the harm of leaving the polls in this section?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »

No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. Some say adamantly that the polls should go, some say they should stay. Some are indifferent. What doesn't change is people's stances. All these pages going back and forth debating about this issue seem MUCH more useless and irrelevant than any other thread. What's more conducive to "General On Topic Discussions": a poll thread about Beach Boys music, or a thread about how bothersome polls are? I vote to lock this thread. My 2 cents.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »

No one is going to change anyone's opinion here. Some say adamantly that the polls should go, some say they should stay. Some are indifferent. What doesn't change is people's stances. All these pages going back and forth debating about this issue seem MUCH more useless and irrelevant than any other thread. What's more conducive to "General On Topic Discussions": a poll thread about Beach Boys music, or a thread about how bothersome polls are? I vote to lock this thread. My 2 cents.

This.

Those who dislike Polls should just ignore them instead of bitching about them. Not everyone agrees with them, and they should just get over it.

I love Polls, as do you Eric and many others. And the Polls are just as much a part of the Smiley Smile Message Board as the Discussions. Take away either the Polls or the Discussion and this forum is doomed. Neither are replaceable, they're both irreplaceable.

If you don't like it, either ignore it or leave instead of making pointless whining threads like this, which BTW should be locked by now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: