gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:34:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Amusement Parks U.S.A - thumbs up or thumbs down?
Thumbs Up - 54 (66.7%)
Neutral Thumbs - 16 (19.8%)
Thumbs Down - 11 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amusement Parks U.S.A - thumbs up or thumbs down?  (Read 6779 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »

Though I rarely see it getting any praise around here, I've lately grown fond of 'Amusement Parks USA' for some reason. I can't stop listening to it. It's just so darn catchy and quirky in a typical Brian Wilson kind of way. Every time they sing the chorus ("let's take your car and mess around at the park all day!") you can hear the excitement and jubilation in their voices, even though they're basically singing about amusement parks and nothing more. That's great to me. What do you folks think?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:21:38 AM »

Three thumbs up !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »

Gave it a thumbs up. It's one of the BB's more underrated early songs!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »

A big thumbs up from me. A fun song and it brings back many happy memories riding those bumper cars at Jersey's Steel Pier, as they are no more.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »

Love "Amusement Parks U.S.A.". It's hard to play it just once, you have to repeat it a couple of times. While it's the kind of song Brian could probably write in a couple of minutes in those days, there's so much going on. So intense!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »

Thumbs Up! Great theme, they later returned to for another favorite of mine.  Was so happy they picked Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) for the HDCD mono/stereo releases in 2012.
I too find myself hitting repeat often these days on many Beach Boys tracks, especially MiC.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »

Thumbs up ! A really good, fun Beach Boys number !
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »

Thumbs up.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »

And the MIC version proves how far ahead they were of The Beatles with Magical Mystery Tour.

No smiley req.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:32:24 AM »

Two thumbs up.   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up     One for each version.   I've always liked it!

One time on another board, I gave a little history on each amusement park in the song. It was fun investigating the history and details of each one - most of which are no longer with us. It was like a report on all the surfing spots in the song Surfin' U.S.A.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »

Listening Its good.

While the lyrics are cheerful sounding the organ notes are minor key and lend a sinister tone like evil clowns are watching you.

A good study in opposites.  3D

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »

Two thumbs up.   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up     One for each version.   I've always liked it!

One time on another board, I gave a little history on each amusement park in the song. It was fun investigating the history and details of each one - most of which are no longer with us. It was like a report on all the surfing spots in the song Surfin' U.S.A.

Can you repeat the history for the new kids in town?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »

Thumbs way down.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »

^

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »

I love it! Also throw in The Girl from New York City as another underrated gem. To me, Summer Days is to Today, what SMiLE would have been to Pet Sounds in terms of the music and production. More up beat and happy compared to a serious and emotional Today and Pet Sounds.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:00:12 AM »

Neutral. I love the backing track but the words are a massive turn off. The themes in the song had been explored much better in earlier songs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »

Neutral. I love the backing track but the words are a massive turn off. The themes in the song had been explored much better in earlier songs.

Agreed. The piano part that comes in near the end is perfect. Very bouncy and the right musical idea for the right moment. But I can't help but cringe at the 'rollie coster' bit

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 02:18:05 AM »

A thumbs up from me as well
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

Always loved this song with it's crazy organ and funhouse feel.  I could see them making a great promo film for it had they taken the time back then.  Plus they mention the parachute ride at Riverview Park here in Chicago!  (Long since torn down)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »

I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, but it's certainly an interesting curiosity. The backing track kinda has a proto-psychedelic feel; it doesn't surprise me that it was recorded after Brian had experimented LSD. That said, even though it strongly points toward Brian's subsequent experimenting with new tonal palettes and textures, I just don't find it works as a song. While I'm usually quite forgiving towards bad lyrics, these are awful for 1965 and are married to a subpar vocal melody to boot.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »

Love it. Very different number, a pre-psychedelic piece as others have noted, and while the lyrics are silly, that's part of their charm. Only one band in the world could have written and recorded this tune.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »

I'd like it more if it was just a b side. It's space on Summer Days would have been much better served with a full finished BBs version of Guess I'm Dumb or Sherry She Needs Me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »

I'd like it more if it was just a b side. It's space on Summer Days would have been much better served with a full finished BBs version of Guess I'm Dumb or Sherry She Needs Me.

The Beach Boys didn't really do exclusive b-sides though, did they? (Yes, I know, there are exceptions like "The Lord's Prayer" and "You're Welcome")

As to the song, It's just OK to me. I'm looking forward to hearing it mashed up with Heroes and Villains in the Smiley Smilers collaborative covers project. That will still happen, right?

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:56 AM »

The Beach Boys didn't really do exclusive b-sides though, did they? (Yes, I know, there are exceptions like "The Lord's Prayer" and "You're Welcome")

Not to mention Luau  Grin
synicalcurpher
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »

When I first heard SDSN album in 1968 I nearly got RSI flipping between this song and California Girls. All these years later I think the intro is what got me hooked into being a BB devotee. So yea it's special & I'll forgive any poor lyrics on the album when you consider the wonderful backing tracks Brian had throughout the LP
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx