gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:44:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the Mike/Bruce Combo?  (Read 34789 times)
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »

Of all the Beach Boys it seems Bruce is totally loyal to Mike Love and I am curious as to WHY when it seems all the others seem to lean toward the Wilson's over the years. 
I know Bruce left in the early 70's and lost his share in the corporation then came back in the late 70's as a hired hand,  It makes me wonder if it was MIKE who got him back on the road and in the studio with the group and for that he is eternally loyal?   
Maybe they are just really good friends?   
What ya think?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »

Of all the Beach Boys it seems Bruce is totally loyal to Mike Love and I am curious as to WHY when it seems all the others seem to lean toward the Wilson's over the years. 
I know Bruce left in the early 70's and lost his share in the corporation then came back in the late 70's as a hired hand,  It makes me wonder if it was MIKE who got him back on the road and in the studio with the group and for that he is eternally loyal?   
What ya think?

In my opinion, total speculation, and all those goodies... Wink

If I recall, it was Brian who actually called Bruce back in 1978, when Brian was experiencing emotional problems, was briefly institutionalized, and realized that he (Brian) wasn't going to be able to produce what became the L.A. Light Album. Now, maybe Brian, while it might've been his idea, just made the initial phone call to start the process of Bruce returning, and Bruce was ultimately accepted and embraced more by Mike and the other guys than by Brian himself (who didn't have a lot to do with L.A. Light Album).

As to why Bruce might be more loyal to Mike than Brian? This might be gross oversimplification, but it might simply be "the math". For whatever reason, and there may be several, it appears that Bruce wanted - and continues to want - to tour EXTENSIVELY. Maybe he loves the travel, the money, the excitement, the performing, or simply hanging out with friends. That would logically attract or attach Bruce to Mike, who appears to have similar values, as opposed to Brian who is much the opposite.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »

And yet Bruce has always been a great Brian supporter, decri I himself as his number one can (paraphrased) and providing backing vox when Brian performed live to promote his Imagination album.

I too suspect it's economics, a love of touring and playing live and maybe political views that see him and Mike share a stage so doggedly.

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »

In the late 60s and early 70s, Bruce seemed to be heading in a different direction, and I seen to recall reading somewhere that there was talk about removing him from the group and replacing him with Billy Hinsche? From what I remember reading, Mike seemed to be the most vocal about Bruce not jibing well with the group during that period.

When Bruce returned, it was Brian who did the original inviting, but it seemed to be Carl that enjoyed having him back the most.

Now, Bruce is there to help Mike be able to call the group the Beach Boys, and he also has a similar mindset about touring: to tour light with minimal expense, and to be open to any size venue. I don't think they are particularly good friends (definitely could be wrong), but they are great business partners, and they put on a great show without any drama. But in terms of friendship, I have never really seen them interact much off stage.

I think another reason that Mike chose to keep Bruce is because he probably gets paid less than Al would if Mike and Al toured, being a member of BRI.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »

I think another reason that Mike chose to keep Bruce is because he probably gets paid less than Al would if Mike and Al toured, being a member of BRI.

And to add to this, it could also be the spotlight. Al is a founding member, has leads on some great songs like Rhonda, and his voice is in pristine condition. Having Al makes Mike less of a focal point, especially when there are moments when Mike really sounds his age. Al still sounds twenty  Grin

Just speculation, but that could be another factor.

Nicko1234
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:14 AM »

What ya think?

I think that's a bit of an over simplification of things...

In the late 70s it was Al and Mike (the TMers) on one side and Carl and Dennis (the druggies) on the other. Then towards the end of Dennis's life I'm not sure anyone was 'leaning toward him' and the same goes for Brian over many years. In fact, I think Gary Usher stated in The Wilson Project book that it was Mike who most wanted to work with Brian in the mid-80s and that Carl and Al weren't so interested (for very good reasons probably).

As others have said though, I think Mike and Bruce gel when it comes to the business side of the group. They seem to live a stress free and profitable existence in the touring group and there are no complications. This doesn't appear the case when other BB members are involved as even Brian and Al's tour of a few years ago ended badly.
Nicko1234
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »

And to add to this, it could also be the spotlight. Al is a founding member, has leads on some great songs like Rhonda, and his voice is in pristine condition. Having Al makes Mike less of a focal point, especially when there are moments when Mike really sounds his age. Al still sounds twenty  Grin

Just speculation, but that could be another factor.

Honestly, I don't think that's part of it at all. There had been problems between Al and Mike for many years which is why Al was fired in the early 90s in the first place.

Then in 1998 Bruce gave an interview where he stated, 'You will never see Alan and I on the same stage again'. That indicates that there were obviously some serious problems there.

Al was going to be fired in 1998 even if Carl hadn't died.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:36:20 AM »

Bruce never lost his corporate vote: he handed it back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:43:50 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

Why would he hand it back?  Not doubting, just curious as it seems such a business savvy guy wouldn't give up so much power, money or control?
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

B.R.I.  controls the group name and owns it so theoretically if Brian, Al and Carl's family decided to pull it from Mike an Bruce that would be all there is to it, right? 
Can we not assume that they tour under the name because the others agree to it even when they are grumbling about it?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

B.R.I.  controls the group name and owns it so theoretically if Brian, Al and Carl's family decided to pull it from Mike an Bruce that would be all there is to it, right? 
Can we not assume that they tour under the name because the others agree to it even when they are grumbling about it?

Pretty much. What's not known is whether Mike tours under an indefinite type of license -- one that would require him to breach the terms before the others in BRI could change the terms. If they all agree, it's easy to change things (as the C50 proved). But if it's Mike versus the other parties, it would very much depend on what they all agreed to back in the late 90s.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »

sandmountainslim, by your post count I can see that you are a fairly new poster? This issue has been discussed on numerous threads over the last couple of years. Don't misunderstand, it's perfectly OK that you ask; I'm not one of those who is bothered by people bringing up old(er) topics, probably because I'm one of those who continues to post the same opinions over and over anyway. Grin

IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO .... Mike was awarded the license to tour as The Beach Boys via vote because certain people wanted to get paid thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars for doing absolutely nothing.

And, sandmountainslim, I always add this part...The hypocrisy among fans is that Mike is the one singled out or blamed or labelled or criticized for being in it "only for the money" and not caring about the brand/legacy, but the other Beach Boys put "art" first.  Roll Eyes

I don't know if the vote/issues/situation has ever been challenged or considered for change by another vote. Probably not. Money always comes first with the Beach Boys. But, it seems that we (the members on this board) eventually find out when things happen within The Beach Boys. "Somebody" will talk, they always do...
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »

Mike and Bruce touring as The Beach Boys is fine and dandy but I feel that Al and David Marks should be allowed to have "Original Beach Boy" or "of The Beach Boys" on their promotional material also.   It isn't saying they ARE the Beach Boys and Know David isn't a member of BRI but it is just a true statement which would help people recognize them.   Brian Wilson in my opinion doesn't even need the tag but it would be ok if he chose to use it.   
Also apologies for asking questions which have been hashed over and over here.  I am new to the board so forgive me if I have made any boring posts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:43:32 PM by sandmountainslim » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

Al tried to tour under "Beach Boys Family and Friends" and could have continued to do so if he paid BRI for a license to do that. It was Al who refused to pay the license fee, and only later was it decided to only issue one tour license with any type of Beach Boys related name. So, Al had his chance, but didn't want to pay the fee. At least that's how I understood it. If that's wrong, some expert can jump in.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »

Also apologies for asking questions which have been hashed over and over here.  I am new to the board so forgive me if I have made any boring posts.

Welcome to the board and don't apologize for asking any questions.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »

As for the fees, we did the math on it awhile back, and it's not like Mike's touring nets the other principals a staggering amount or anything (certainly not millions a year, let's put it that way). Several of us here were quite shocked at how little Mike likely paid out.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

As for the fees, we did the math on it awhile back, and it's not like Mike's touring nets the other principals a staggering amount or anything (certainly not millions a year, let's put it that way). Several of us here were quite shocked at how little Mike likely paid out.

So, I forget:  where did "we" get the definitive amount that Mike pays out, so we could do our figuring? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »

So, I forget:  where did "we" get the definitive amount that Mike pays out, so we could do our figuring? 

20% goes to BRI. Of which Mike gets 5% back and Brian, Al and Carl's estate all get 5% each.

I don't think anyone could specify exactly how much that would be but certainly into 6 figures for each of them every year.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:27 AM »

That's 20% of the gross, straight off the top.

As for the actual sums paid, didn't we figure it was in the region of $600,000 a year, minimum ? Not something Carl's estate would willingly give up on a point of artistic integrity.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »

Correct me where I'm wrong but that 20% is a license fee. Didn't the court papers also say that touring income was also split between the BRI principles with those actually on the road getting a higher cut but those who weren't on the road still getting a cut.  Brian, Al, and Carl's estate may be racking in some serious money without putting foot on a tour bus if true.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »

Correct me where I'm wrong but that 20% is a license fee. Didn't the court papers also say that touring income was also split between the BRI principles with those actually on the road getting a higher cut but those who weren't on the road still getting a cut.  Brian, Al, and Carl's estate may be racking in some serious money without putting foot on a tour bus if true.

That makes sense of why Mike tours so much, then. Makes him the pater familia!
He's providing for all the BBs families, including himself, and they  don't make a cent unless he tours. Jaquie's shirts get  his share of the gross( watered down thru BRI), while his  touring $$ is his bread and butter. 
Bruce probably tours for the spending cash and he has a girl in every town. ( he lives off his inheritance, right?),

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »

He's providing for all the BBs families, including himself, and they  don't make a cent unless he tours. 

They could get the license and tour and pay the license fee and split the tour income and he could make money staying home. If that is the way it works these days.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

He's providing for all the BBs families, including himself, and they  don't make a cent unless he tours. 

They could get the license and tour and pay the license fee and split the tour income and he could make money staying home. If that is the way it works these days.

What the heck?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »

What the heck?

You're talking to yourself.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »

What the heck?

You're talking to yourself.

yeah, see that. as you are. iamheasyouaremeasyouareheandwearebothtogether....
too  little attention to quote locations... you AND me.   as I didn't suggest staying home as an option, but you DID!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx