gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike receives Ella Award 2014  (Read 48835 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »

I may be wrong but there doesn't seem to be a separate thread dealing with Mike receiving an Ella Award. Yet.

He just posted a longer comment on his Facebook page. I highlighted some interesting stuff. I thought I'd take the opportunity to share the quote and create a new thread to discuss the topic.

Quote from: Mike via FB
Wow!! I am humbled beyond measure...In the 52 years of my Beach Boys career, there have been many, many highlights, but for me receiving the Ella Award was a personal blessing. I am so grateful to so many people that made the evening possible and exceptional. First to SOS for all that they have done and continue to do for singers who find themselves in challenging situations. Thank you to The Mancini family for realizing the need for SOS and continuing this amazing legacy of service. Events such as The Ella's require a team of creative, dynamic, organized and moderately crazy folks to put together and without John Koch of ID PR, Eric Breslow, Eric Vetro, Scott Totten, John Stamos, and my wife, Jacquelyne, last night wouldn't have happened. I am deeply appreciative! There were so many incredible moments to speak of, but what stood out the most to me was the expressions on the faces of the attendees, the Honorees and the multitude of talented people who all contributed to this spectacular night. PURE JOY!!!!! Having Alan Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston on stage with me was incredibly emotional and divine deja vu. I only wished that Brian had been there. Collectively, we have shared an incredible story of family and music! I had a moment...a moment that nearly took my breath away, during the video tribute when I took a look at my table and realized I was surrounded by my children Melinda, Teresa, Summer, Ambha, Brian, Christian, Mike Jr., and my sister Maureen Love. I was nearly in tears, my proudest achievement - my children!

Speaking of pride and children, having Cal Saga, Carnie, Wendy, Carl B, Justyn, Matt, Christian, and Ambha in the house performing “Anna Lee The Healer” followed by my daughter Ambha taking the lead on “Darlin'” - a song I sang to her at bedtime, was unforgettable! Although Carl and Dennis are no longer with us, their legacy continues and I am certain that they would be quite proud of their children just as I am. As a lyricist, I struggle with finding the right words to say thank you to all the many great talents who shared their gift with us last night. I am overwhelmed with your generosity, kindness and love. Thank you, Bill Medley, Rita Wilson, Lucy Lawless, Gerry and Dewey of America, Mickey Dolenz, Dave Koz, Peter Noone, and the Waters Family for “Unleashing the Love” with me for the first time live. David Lee Roth certainly traveled the farthest to be here from Tokyo! Man we rocked out!!!!! The backbone of the music last night was my band whom I consider to be my family. The Beach Boys band kept the beat going strong, Tim Bonhomme, Randall Kirsch, Christian Love, John Cowsill and our over the top brilliant musical director Scott Totten! Thanks gentlemen for being a big part of my musical career and my life. We also had a very special band member on stage with us last night, Mr. Jeffrey Foskett, who shared his great gift of voice and musicianship with us. I am most grateful to Jeff for having taken such wonderful care of my cousin Brian for so many years...you are truly remarkable and kind. Our crew worked their tushes off! Their attention to detail and technical savvy was not unnoticed. Thank you John Bracken, Barry Floyd, Mike Peters, Mark Newman, Rick Huber, Mike Swift and Mike Czazewicz - you guys are the best in the business! Thank you Jan Marie, Evelyn and Joaquin for handling all the logistics of travel and accommodations. A special shout out if I may to Bill O'Reilly, Tom Hanks, Diane Warren, Toni Basil and everyone who attended...again there are no words to express how magical it was to share this priceless evening of song and celebration with everyone! I wish I could include the names of all the faces from last night...just know how much I love you all. Thank you to all our fans who continue to keep the music alive, without your love, support and great taste in music, we could not be who and where we are today. Words cannot express how honored I am to be the recipient of the 21st Ella Award...I am truly and, more than you know, humbled!

With gratitude,

Mike Love

P.S. I will share photos and videos from last night's event in follow up post, I wish all the fans could have been there:)

Righteous Brother Bill Medley, Jeff Foskett and The Beach Boys: “Lovin’ Feelin’”
America and The Beach Boys: “Surfin USA”
Micky Dolenz and The Beach Boys: “Wild Honey”
Dean Torrence, David Marks and The Beach Boys: “Little Deuce Coupe”
David Marks and The Beach Boys: “409”
California Saga: “Anna Lee” and “Darlin”
Rita Wilson and The Beach Boys: “Warmth of the Sun”
Christopher Cross and Bruce Johnston: “All This is That”
Lucy Lawless and Mike Love: “Wouldn’t it be Nice”
Mike Love and The Waters Family: “Unleash the Love”
Al Jardine and The Beach Boys: “Help Me Rhonda”
The Beach Boys featuring Peter Noone of the Hermits Hermits: “Good Vibrations”
The Beach Boys featuring Dave Koz: “Kokomo”
David Lee Roth and Mike Love: “California Girls”
All of the Evenings Performers join Mike Love and The Beach Boys for: “Fun, Fun, Fun”

P.S. Don't miss this impression of Bruce as Mike's personal Igor!

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »

Great to see Al, Dave, and Mike together again! Time heals many wounds
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »

Shots of them onstage jamming too. Nice stuff.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »

I am a Brian guy first and foremost, but. I have to say that I am very disappointed that he was the holdout.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »

Rita Wilson sang Warmth of the Sun?HuhHuhHuh Whah?Huh?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »

Yes, really great and great news. Congrats to Mike!

Sure seems like Brian should have found a way to be there.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »

Here's great quality video of Mike doing "California Girls" with David Lee Roth. Plus watch Foskett and Stamos jam!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYP447lKlDE
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »

Where was Haleigh Love?  And who is the Mother of Mike Jr.?  Don't remember hearing of him before.

I thought Haleigh was the up and coming singer of the Love family. Seems like Ambha has been getting all the attention and is in California Saga.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »

Well said mike and congratulations you deserved a great night

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »

Here's great quality video of Mike doing "California Girls" with David Lee Roth. Plus watch Foskett and Stamos jam!:

Man is this great! Seems like a great time was had by everybody. Roth is great and Cowsill is the best drummer any BB band incarnation could hope for. He channels Denny's animal style, is always reliable and consistent, pounds in such a way as to leave room for the vocals, sings great and has compelling stage presence.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »

Man is this great! Seems like a great time was had by everybody. Roth is great and Cowsill is the best drummer any BB band incarnation could hope for. He channels Denny's animal style, is always reliable and consistent, pounds in such a way as to leave room for the vocals, sings great and has compelling stage presence.

It's a fun clip....but Roth kinda ruins it.  Shocked
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »

David Lee Roth never grew up, his antics are tiresome.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »

Yeah...

For anyone who has not seen it, here is David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbhfI8f_Ek

Pretty not great.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »

It seems like Dave gets along with everyone, but Al obviously had been blood with Mike over the end of C50, but he put it aside to show up. It would have been nice for Brian to do the same.
Nicko1234
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »

A really nice message from Mike and it's cool that people like Al, David and Jeff attended.

The clip of Mike and David Lee Roth singing is hilarious.  LOL
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »

Interview about "Pisces Brothers"
http://youtu.be/EOGFNsm9M0o

Pisces Brothers
https://soundcloud.com/mikelovemusic-3/mike-love-pisces-brothers

Fun Fun Fun
http://youtu.be/32RpEwwxT1I

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:54:17 AM by STE » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

As much as I cringed at some of Alan's public statements about Mike in the last year or so, I must say he acted as a gentleman and showed greatness by appearing and supporting Mike at the Ella awards. It's easy for to pass judgement on these guys with a harshness we could not tolerate if applied to us.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:17 AM »

Yeah...

For anyone who has not seen it, here is David Lee Roth's cover of California Girls.

Pretty not great.

Don't forget Carl's on that.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »

It's odd that Foskett's on California Girls but not Al or Dave, right?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »

Yeah...

Pretty not great.

Yes, and don't forget that the Roth video was huge when it came out. That video was played on MTV constantly, which was still relevant, and the single almost went to No. 1.

I'm not saying Roth's cover was crucial, but it did have a significant positive impact for the Beach Boys. They were slowing coming off the shock of Dennis' death, with the 1984 D.C. Beach Party being the first step. But Roth's "California Girls" started 1985 out strong, followed by "Getcha Back" and Live Aid. 1985 was good year. I was expecting big things , with Brian looking great and everything, but it was yet another false start. It would be another three years until things got interesting again, with the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, BW 1988, and "Kokomo".
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »

How tall is Randell Kirsch? He looks like a giant overseeing the proceedings.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »

Lots of photos from Mike's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604006949678150&set=a.604006216344890.1073741852.125419450870238&type=1&theater
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »

Yeah...

Pretty not great.

Yes, and don't forget that the Roth video was huge when it came out. That video was played on MTV constantly, which was still relevant, and the single almost went to No. 1.

I'm not saying Roth's cover was crucial, but it did have a significant positive impact for the Beach Boys. They were slowing coming off the shock of Dennis' death, with the 1984 D.C. Beach Party being the first step. But Roth's "California Girls" started 1985 out strong, followed by "Getcha Back" and Live Aid. 1985 was good year. I was expecting big things , with Brian looking great and everything, but it was yet another false start. It would be another three years until things got interesting again, with the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, BW 1988, and "Kokomo".

It also put serious bucks in Brian's bank account.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RockabillyNBlues
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »

Looked like an incredible night!

http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-society-of-singers-honored-beach.html
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx