gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preiss SMiLE Tape. What was the tracklist?  (Read 13267 times)
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »

I see references to where the Preiss tape is considered the first SMiLE boot to come to light and I have found downloads and tracklistings for another "Preiss tape" which has about 3 SMiLE recordings and a bunch of other BB rarities on it but I was wondering what the proper Priess SMiLE may have looked like.

I know the release of The Smile Sessions in 2011 sorta killed many peoples interest in boots and different fan mixes but I find them interesting and really enjoy SLN's 1967 mix and the Unsurpassed Masters 16 every bit as much as the official release.   
Thanks for any info on the Priess SMiLE and for putting up with another topic related to that overdiscussed album Smiley   Nice to meet everyone. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »

The Preiss tape (a.k.a. "The Fire Tapes")

Do You Like Worms
Fire (no sound effects)
Fire (sound effects)
Can't Wait Too Long (3 pieces)
Old Master Painter (instrumental)
You Are My Sunshine (no Dennis vocal)
Barnyard (actually "false Barnyard")

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:39:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »

Hey Mikie,

Do you know who gave titles to the selections on the Preiss tape?

Thanks, Royce  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:31 AM »

The Preiss tape (a.k.a. "The Fire Tapes")

Do You Like Worms
Fire (no sound effects)
Fire (sound effects)
Can't Wait Too Long (3 pieces)
Old Master Painter (instrumental)
You Are My Sunshine (no Dennis vocal)
Barnyard (actually "false Barnyard")

Thank you!   
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

Hey Mikie,

Thanks, Royce  Smiley

I suspect one of the following:

1. D. Rovell
2. B. Preiss  
3. J. Deutch    
4. B. Elliott  
5. P. Reum
6. Royce
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:58:58 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

I know it was the early days and people probably flipped to have ANY tape of the sessions but  a SMiLE without Heroes and Villains and Surf's Up had to be underwhelming.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »

I know it was the early days and people probably flipped to have ANY tape of the sessions but  a SMiLE without Heroes and Villains and Surf's Up had to be underwhelming.

Surf's Up and H&V had been released in some form. None of the tracks on the Preiss tape had been heard in any form. I doubt 'underwhelmed' was felt by anyone!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »

Imagine seeing these songs discussed in the Preiss book when it came out. At the time, they were unreleased. Also, the rumor floating around from 1979 into the early 80's was that a 6 minute Heroes & Villains existed!

01) Heroes And Villains - Fade (1:09)
02) Who Ran The Iron Horse? (:29)
03) Bicycle Rider #1 (:25)
04) Bicycle Rider #2 (:25)
05) Heroes And Villains - 1st Verse (:46)
06) Let The Wind Blow - Amy Vocal (2:11) - apparently from a 1970 session for Brother Records.
07) I'm So Young (2:11) - acetate of the alternate version on the Today/Summer Days two-fer.
08) Barbara - Piano (1:07) - same as the version on Get the Boot, in lesser quality.
09) I Don't Know (2:27) - mislabeled; backing track for Don't Run Away by Bruce and Terry.
10) Lazy Lizzie (3:45)
11) H.E.L.P. (2:09)
12) Sherry She Needs Me (2:32)
13) New Orleans (2:33) - mislabeled, this is New England Waltz.
14) You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (3:33)
15) Baseball (2:02) - features part of the count-off.
16) Life Is For The Living (1:46)
17) "Mike Love" (2:23) - the fake David Leaf "promo".
18) Almost Summer (2:06) - the Brian demo.
19) Still I Dream Of It (3:15) - different vocals.
20) Games Two Can Play (1:54)
21) It's Over Now (2:41)
22) Lines (1:34) - different vocals.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »

My guess is Jeff Deutsch. I still have that cassette. It is a piece of Smile history!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »

History is a Smile tape with the Miles Davis "Here Comes De Honey Man" instrumental on it.  Grin

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »

Also, the rumor floating around from 1979 into the early 80's was that a 6 minute Heroes & Villains existed!

It did!  It was just never assembled onto one reel.  as I've said numerous times, I'd bet my balls that the Smile version of "Heroes And Villains" was the Cantina version up to the end of the tape explosion, followed by the single version, starting with the first chorus.  Add the current intro to "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (which was very much the "Heroes And Villains intro" until relatively recently) to the beginning and tack on the now familiar ending and you get something pretty darn close to six minutes.  Unfortunately, Brian changed his mind (which is totally his right) by 2004 so that version never saw a proper release.  YMMV
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

Actually, some people back in the day were saying there was 12 minutes worth of Heroes & Villains material out there! We couldn't fathom it. But now we know.

Regarding the 6 minute version of H&V.  I always thought that could have been the single, side A and side B.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »

Hey Mikie,

Thanks, Royce  Smiley

1. D. Rovell
2. B. Preiss  
3. J. Deutch    
4. B. Elliott  
5. P. Reum
6. Royce

I wonder if it wasn't D. Rovell and/or D. Wilson.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

Hey Mikie,

Thanks, Royce  Smiley

1. D. Rovell
2. B. Preiss  
3. J. Deutch    
4. B. Elliott  
5. P. Reum
6. Royce

I figured it was one of the first three, but I'm not sure who. I asked because I'm wondering if it was Diane who named "Barnyard".
Regarding number 6 on your list,  Smiley

My guess is Jeff Deutsch. I still have that cassette. It is a piece of Smile history!

Thank you Peter, I sent Jeff a PM to ask him. (scrath this Peter, Lee informed me below of Jeff's Passing)  Sad

Hey Mikie,

Thanks, Royce  Smiley

1. D. Rovell
2. B. Preiss  
3. J. Deutch    
4. B. Elliott  
5. P. Reum
6. Royce

I wonder if it wasn't D. Rovell and/or D. Wilson.

Thanks Cam, as I said to Mikie above, I'm really wondering who titled "Barnyard" .

If it was Diane or Dennis, I find that really interesting because despite what the session worksheets indicate, I think Brian was already hearing the "False Barnyard" music for the H&V coda when he demoed it for Humble Harv on November 4th which was 15 days after recording "Real Barnyard" and only 10 days before recording "False Barnyard".

I'm basing this around the idea that the Barnyard section of the demo fits right over the top of the "False Barnyard" track, and doesn't work at all (IMHO) over the track now known as the "Real Barnyard"

If I remember correctly, the lineage of the Barnyard section of the H&V demo over the top of "Real Barnyard" went like this:

SMiLE Shop fan edit>Darian>BWPS>The SMiLE Sessions

Does anybody remember who originally posted that fan edit to the SMiLE Shop?...for some reason, I think it was Audiodrome (Paul)

I'll send you a PM Cam, with some links to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Royce  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:19:26 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »

Royce, unfortunately you're not going to get a response from Jeff Deutch... He passed away back in the fall:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16538.0.html

Lee
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:40:09 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

Oh my gosh Lee, I didn't know that. Thank you for making me aware of it.

wow..... Sad

I'm glad Jeff got to experience The SMiLe Sessions. I always think of Bob Hanes when I think of that release, and feel bad that he wasn't here to hear it.

Royce

sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

Actually, some people back in the day were saying there was 12 minutes worth of Heroes & Villains material out there! We couldn't fathom it. But now we know.

Regarding the 6 minute version of H&V.  I always thought that could have been the single, side A and side B.

I first heard of SMiLE in the mid eighties watching the American Band VHS with a friend.   Another of my friends was a HUGE BB fan at the time (I was into Beatles) and he told me that Heroes and Villains existed in a FIFTEEN minute version Smiley     I remember that same friend bought the Box set back in the early 90's and was excited that SMiLE was finally being released on that Good Vibrations box set Smiley   I reckon only part of it came out on that collection. 
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »

Any fan edit where one can hear this?:

the Barnyard section of the demo fits right over the top of the "False Barnyard" track

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »

Can someone please clarify the difference between "Real Barnyard" and "False Barnyard?"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »

SandmountainSlim.  Welcome to the bored.  Where are you from?  

My first taste of Smile was from the Preiss Tape, which was circulating amongst a few collectors around 1978/'79. I got it from a guy named Mark Plummer and he got it from a guy who currently posts on this board. And as the years went by.......I couldn't get enough:

1978/’79 – First SMiLE bootleg, cassette - The "Priess Tape".
1980/'81 - Second SMiLE bootleg, cassette. Included "Holidays" which was actually Miles Davis' "Here Come De Honeyman".
1983 – SMiLE bootleg, Brother Records, vinyl.
1985 - SMiLE bootleg, Second Edition, Brother Records, vinyl.
1987 – First SMiLE bootleg, CD.
1988 – Mark Linett SMiLE mixes.
1990 – Smile - Japanese T-2580, 2-CD.
1990 - Smiley Smile 2-fer (bonus tracks - Cantina!) Priore played the tape of Heroes a few years before at a Beach Boys fan convention in Oakland, California.
1993 – Good Vibrations box set (bonus tracks).
1993 - SMiLE - Vigotone 110/111, 2-CD.
1993 - SMiLE - Vigotone 3-album set, multiple colored vinyl.
1995 – Dave Prokopy SMiLE 3-tape set.
1998 - Heroes & Vibrations - Vigotone VT-163, CDR
1999 - Sea Of Tunes Vol. 15 - Good Vibrations Sessions 3-CD boot. First heard alternate Good Vibrations (Asher lyrics) in 1976.
1999 – Sea Of Tunes Vol. 16, 17. Best quality SMiLE tracks to date.
2000 - SMiLE - Millenium edition.
2001 – Archeology.
2001 - Project SMiLE.
2004 - Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE (including instrumental tracks not included on original release).
2004 - Secret SMiLE.
2005 - SMiLE – Purple Chick Reconstruction.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:13:39 PM by Mikie » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »

Lovely list Mikie,

Would you include Heroes & Vibrations (Vigotone) and he can-circulated so-called Sea of Tunes Source Tape. And maybe Archeology with that (sorry, dates are all beyond me now) - I think all included previously unheard Smile snippets … oh and one of the Long Lost Surf Songs CDs, which included the first (I think) airing of False Barnyard with the YAMSunshine-related vocals just audible?

“We live in divisive times.”
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »

Can someone please clarify the difference between "Real Barnyard" and "False Barnyard?"

Do you have "The SMiLE Sessions" Deluxe 5 CD Box set?

If so, "Real Barnyard" is on Disc 2, Track 4, and "False Barnyard" is on Disc 3, Track 7 (Titled "My Only Sunshine Part 2")

The way they got these titles was, "My Only Sunshine Part 2" was on the 1978 Preiss Tape, where it was labeled as "Barnyard"

Later on in 1993, the "Real Barnyard" (complete with animal effects) popped up (as reported by the Beach Boys fanzine "Endless Summer Quarterly") and made it's debut on the Vigotone 110/111 2-CD format.

After that, the previous "Barnyard" (My Only Sunshine Part 2) became known as "False Barnyard" until the 2011 release "The SMiLE Sessions" where it became known as......My Only Sunshine Part 2!

Gosh, I hope that all made sense to you!

Royce

Check your PMs!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:18:18 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

Lovely list Mikie,

Would you include Heroes & Vibrations (Vigotone) and he can-circulated so-called Sea of Tunes Source Tape. And maybe Archeology with that (sorry, dates are all beyond me now) - I think all included previously unheard Smile snippets … oh and one of the Long Lost Surf Songs CDs, which included the first (I think) airing of False Barnyard with the YAMSunshine-related vocals just audible?

Already have Archeology listed, John, but I added Heroes & Vibrations. There's a couple more that I haven't listed, such as the one on Sphinx. Also, one called Heroes & Villains Part 1 & 2. But the material for those was covered on other comps. And there's the Vigotone SMiLE Box Set which was greatly anticipated but never happened because they were busted!! And the endless fan mixes.....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:15:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »

SandmountainSlim.  Welcome to the bored.  Where are you from?  

Alabama.  Thanks for the kind welcome.   My first taste of SMiLE was hearing some of "Fire" on that documentary in the eighties then a couple years later I heard Heroes and Villains on a greatest hits type cassette tape I bought.   The first proper SMiLE bootleg I owned was Purple Chick but I had bought BWPS when it came out.    Since then I have heard many more with the Unsurpassed Masters 16 being my favorite from the Pre-2004 era.    I love the reconstruction on The Smile Sessions but my favorite mix to listen to is Soniclovenoize's 1967 Mix which I prefer over the official version due to Surf's Up being the album closer........I actually think this would be the perfect mix of the album if only You're Welcome were added just before Surf's Up in the tracklist.        I guess my only gripe with the SMiLE sessions disc 1 is the track sequencing.   Same error made on BWPS.   How could Brian and Darian and Mark all three be unaware that Surf's Up is the closing number?Huh   Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:17:29 PM by sandmountainslim » Logged
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »

Any fan edit where one can hear this?:

the Barnyard section of the demo fits right over the top of the "False Barnyard" track

Check your PMs  Smiley

Royce

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx