gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:04:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys thread  (Read 10871 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »

Who here is a BBs fan first? Two posters who are everywhere seem to want to divide us into groups....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:24 AM »

You mean as in, first in time, that is since November 1961... or first and foremost, as in BB #1, BW #2 ?

Color me a Beach Boys fan: Brian's done some excellent solo stuff, but the vast majority of his best work was done in the company of his brothers, cousin & friends, and always will be, as the 2012 album proved beyond doubt.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »

I listen to The Beach Boys every single day. The music they created as a group is unparalleled, and the quantity of quality created is astounding. I'll listen to a specific chapter of BB history for a while, and then I'll go "sh*t! I forgot how incredible Pet Sounds is!!!" and listen to 1966 stuff for a while. No other band has ever come close to having this kind of hold on me.
I love discussing them and everything else this board allows, but there has been an awful taste in my mouth recently. It's hard to wash away the flavor of spam...
I'm listening to Smiley Smile right now because I haven't in a few months. What is everyone else currently obsessing over? I just came off of a Friends/Wild Honey binge  Grin

This is a good thread.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:44:20 AM by TaterTotten » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:29 AM »

I suppose I am. We all have favourite members, and sometimes some of us get carried away with our fandom for particular members, be it a Brianista, a Dennista, a Brupublican, a Kokomaoist, etc.
But in the end, it's the BB's that we're all here for, and though there are the occasional great solo album, it's Beach Boys music first and foremost. None of us would be here is it weren't for this great band, and for most of us (including Myself) the Beach Boys are our favourite band!

So at the end, Long Live Alan, Blondie, Brian, Bruce, Carl, David, Dennis, Mike and Ricky!!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:48:49 AM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:24 AM »

You mean as in, first in time, that is since November 1961... or first and foremost, as in BB #1, BW #2 ?

November 1961? Wow, respect. And by the way, just how old are you (you don't look a day older than youngest of the BB's, excluding David Marks) / how old were you then? And how did it all get started with you and the BB's?

Me, I'm a Beach Boys fan, first and foremost (although I dig all their solo careers as well, Denny's most of all, Al comes in close second). I listen to them everyday, and I'm convinced that like great bands, they are greater than the sum of their parts. Although one of those parts is of course a tad more significant than the other parts.

I've never understood this whole brianista/kokomoist/whatever-thing. Their greatest works were collaborations - and in the other hand, I love both Smile AND Kokomo. Both are great in their own way. I just don't understand how they could/should be mutually exclusive.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:36 AM »

I've never understood this whole brianista/kokomoist/whatever-thing. Their greatest works were collaborations - and in the other hand, I love both Smile AND Kokomo. Both are great in their own way. I just don't understand how they could/should be mutually exclusive.

Its just an annoying flag people like to wave. My home flies either the flag of The Beach Boys as a whole, or Scott Totten  Grin

bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:13:58 AM »

Its just an annoying flag people like to wave. My home flies either the flag of The Beach Boys as a whole, or Scott Totten  Grin

LOL LOL LOL
I can literally never get sick of this brilliant forum, and almost everyone in it!
Some days, it's stagnant, others it's full of life. And the best part is: You never know what is going to be posted next!

Long Live The Beach Boys, but also Long Live Smiley Smile Forum!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:15:38 AM »

Color me a Beach Boys fan: Brian's done some excellent solo stuff, but the vast majority of his best work was done in the company of his brothers, cousin & friends, and always will be, as the 2012 album proved beyond doubt.

Agreed, I listen to the BBs stuff the most. We may argue over the business/ personal drama side of the BBs world, but at the end of day we love the music all the same.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:35 AM »

Agreed, I listen to the BBs stuff the most. We may argue over the business/ personal drama side of the BBs world, but at the end of day we love the music all the same.

Well put, SMiLE Brian and AGD. Though admittedly, the personal drama of the BB's is what really stands out the BB's from any other band. It's like a Soap Opera!
Also, it helped lure me into a dedicated fan. That's how fucking interesting the Beach Boys are, Musically and Privately!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »

Though admittedly, the personal drama of the BB's is what really stands out the BB's from any other band. It's like a Soap Opera!
Some of their stories are fascinating at max., but I'd rather not to have soapy stuff, it gets sickening quick. I'm all for the music & what each BB contributes to the band vocally & instrumentally, arrangement- & track editing-wise.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:55:08 AM »

Though admittedly, the personal drama of the BB's is what really stands out the BB's from any other band. It's like a Soap Opera!
Some of their stories are fascinating at max., but I'd rather not to have soapy stuff, it gets sickening quick. I'm all for the music & what each BB contributes to the band vocally & instrumentally, arrangement- & track editing-wise.

The Soap Opera part was for the most part an analogy of the whole BB's story
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »

Pied Piper, better get back in bed....

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »

Who here is a BBs fan first? Two posters who are everywhere seem to want to divide us into groups....

Smile Brian! are you  talking about the DennisHeads and the JarNistas or the Carlsteins and the Brianites?

Funny I suppose to a degree but then it gets old.  Roll Eyes

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »

Smile Brian! are you  talking about the DennisHeads and the JarNistas or the Carlsteins and the Brianites?

Funny I suppose to a degree but then it gets old.  Roll Eyes

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

You're so right, SB.

That's what we are here - Beach Boy fans.
It sucks to get constantly some sort of "ista" if you happen to vote any which way - we don't just fit into some box.
While Brian may indeed be my favorite Beach Boy, he can't hold a candle to the Beach Boys as a group.

So, instead of separating ourselves into niche fan circles, let's unite under the fact that we all love the Beach Boys.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »

Who here is a BBs fan first?

or first and foremost, as in BB #1, BW #2 ?

If the question is meant this way, I'm definitely BBs first. TLOS is my favorite solo album though. Talking Brianista/Kokomaoist stuff, all band members have some good and some annoying things to me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »

Also, who else here is one of Scott's Totts? BB's wouldn't be the same without him, or his fan  Cool

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »

I am a BB fan first and foremost--their harmonies are second to none, and I truly believe unattainable by any who do not share a gene pool. I came to the BB through SMiLE and then, through That Lucky Old Sun, through a well-timed cheap used CD purchase, and while I do love all things Brian, I do have to call myself a BB fan first and foremost
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

BB fan, first and foremost; I think their work as group easily in most cases outshines the solo stuff (as good as some of that stuff is); and those albums where the group cohesion was low to non-existent stick out like sore thumbs (whether good or bad offerings)

I'm here mainly for genuine insights into the recorded work and any revelations/breaking news.  The modern soap opera thing is the way it is (what can ya do) - I usually disregard anything that doesn't give extra context/detail/appreciation of a recording.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:50:05 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

I love the group dynamic and how it changes over the years. Depending on the period, Brian may be my fave, or Mike, Carl or Dennis, or Al. It fluctuates for me. It's not so one dimensional as "I am going to pitch my tent in Camp-Whoever" because I can't do that. That is not the reality of the situation.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »

Also, who else here is one of Scott's Totts? BB's wouldn't be the same without him, or his fan  Cool

I'm a Tott! But I'm a Beach Boy fan first, a Dennista second, a Carlista third, a Brianista fourth, a Jarhead fifth, and then I'm a Tott!

You're so right, SB.

That's what we are here - Beach Boy fans.
It sucks to get constantly some sort of "ista" if you happen to vote any which way - we don't just fit into some box.
While Brian may indeed be my favorite Beach Boy, he can't hold a candle to the Beach Boys as a group.

So, instead of separating ourselves into niche fan circles, let's unite under the fact that we all love the Beach Boys.

First Carl, then Bruce, and now Brian?
Jeez, you're coming off as just as inconsistent as Brian is at times!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »

Who's doing that?

I have good record/paraphernalia collections of the Beatles and Beach Boys and a few other groups. And if I could afford it, I'd have an extensive collection of The Rolling Stones too, but am happy to have all their U.S. vinyl releases and some CD's.

Anyway, The Beatles and Beach Boys are the music of my life.  The Beach Boys have always been #1 with me since around 1970.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:28:43 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »

Yep.  I can never listen to  any BW album without asking the question, "How good would this have been with The Beach Boys vocals?"  With TWGMTR, BW answered the question for me.  BB fan.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:11:49 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bluesno1fann
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Who's doing that?

I have good record/paraphernalia collections of the Beatles and Beach Boys and a few other groups. And if I could afford it, I'd have an extensive collection of The Rolling Stones too, but am happy to have all their U.S. vinyl releases and some CD's.

Anyway, The Beatles and Beach Boys are the music of my life.  The Beach Boys have always been #1 with me since around 1970.

SMiLE Brian is probably referring to me and Jess. He doesn't much care for us and uses every opportunity he gets to bash us.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear you got all the US vinyl of the Rolling Stones. Considering they're a British band, I'd focus on the UK albums as I'd consider the UK albums to be the definitive Stones albums of the 60's. But to each his own I guess.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

SMiLE Brian is probably referring to me and Jess. He doesn't much care for us and uses every opportunity he gets to bash us.

You deserve it.

I love the group dynamic and how it changes over the years. Depending on the period, Brian may be my fave, or Mike, Carl or Dennis, or Al. It fluctuates for me. It's not so one dimensional as "I am going to pitch my tent in Camp-Whoever" because I can't do that. That is not the reality of the situation.

Agreed. We all have our Al Jardine kicks. I can't be the only with an Jardine playlist that has all his songs and lead vocals, right?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx