gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:57:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys thread  (Read 10957 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »

SMiLE Brian is probably referring to me and Jess. He doesn't much care for us and uses every opportunity he gets to bash us.

You deserve it.

What was that for?
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

I'm one of those guys from 61-62 and it is simply TBB. What I don't like is people slamming any one member at the expense of another. And, let's face it, its either BW or ML. Both had their faults but I love the band. When the first songs that you fell in love with were about surfing and cars, how could it get better. That's why I live in SoCal and drive Vettes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »

w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »

I think we are about to have World Peace.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

Feel the love Cam.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »

Agreed. We all have our Al Jardine kicks. I can't be the only with an Jardine playlist that has all his songs and lead vocals, right?

When I read this, I decided I needed to make one.  Listening to it now, and it's great.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »

Who here is a BBs fan first? Two posters who are everywhere seem to want to divide us into groups....

Who's doing that?

I have good record/paraphernalia collections of the Beatles and Beach Boys and a few other groups. And if I could afford it, I'd have an extensive collection of The Rolling Stones too, but am happy to have all their U.S. vinyl releases and some CD's.

Anyway, The Beatles and Beach Boys are the music of my life.  The Beach Boys have always been #1 with me since around 1970.

SMiLE Brian is probably referring to me and Jess. He doesn't much care for us and uses every opportunity he gets to bash us.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear you got all the US vinyl of the Rolling Stones. Considering they're a British band, I'd focus on the UK albums as I'd consider the UK albums to be the definitive Stones albums of the 60's. But to each his own I guess.

I'm from the U.S. It meant more to me to collect all of the Rolling Stones U.S albums on London and Rolling Stones Recs and Virgin first, just like I did with the original U.S. Beach Boys and Beatles Capitol albums.

To each their own.   Shocked

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »

I am a fan of the Beach Boys.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »

I've been a fan of The Beach Boys since about 1978. It deepened in 1982 after I bought Pet Sounds. The Beach Boys and Elvis Presley are my top rock & roll obsessions.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

Who here is a BBs fan first? Two posters who are everywhere seem to want to divide us into groups....

Who's doing that?

I have good record/paraphernalia collections of the Beatles and Beach Boys and a few other groups. And if I could afford it, I'd have an extensive collection of The Rolling Stones too, but am happy to have all their U.S. vinyl releases and some CD's.

Anyway, The Beatles and Beach Boys are the music of my life.  The Beach Boys have always been #1 with me since around 1970.

Doubt it. S B is a bit of a Dennista himself as well (as I am). I love the band in different periods. Brian was the genius thru 67. Then everyone wrote songs and it was different but still great. For example, I was just listening to Mike's "Big Sur" (4/4 time). Something really authentic about his voice there so what we lost after Brian pulled back, we gained with the other guys.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »

Agreed. We all have our Al Jardine kicks. I can't be the only with an Jardine playlist that has all his songs and lead vocals, right?

When I read this, I decided I needed to make one.  Listening to it now, and it's great.

Mine is called "Keep It Clean With Al Jardine" and is as follows:
Help Me, Rhonda
Then I Kissed Her
Cotton Fields (single mix)
Sloop John B (Al Version)
Lady Lynda
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Susie Cincinnati (promo mix)
Add Some Music
Vegetables (SS version)
All This Is That
Postcard from California
I Know There's an Answer (CATP mix)
Honkin' Down The Highway
Help You, Rhonda

One of my fav BB playlists Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:05:30 PM by TaterTotten » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »

The Beach boys as a unit come first, before Brian or anyone else.

It's just ridiculous how good they were.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »

I personally like the BB stuff as a whole over all of the solo stuff  Grin

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »

What, are there no Marksists, and what would be a suitable playlist for a Marksist?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »

summatahm blooz Wink 2

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:53 AM »

What, are there no Marksists, and what would be a suitable playlist for a Marksist?

Good question. I'd probably have Summertime Blues, Kustom Kar Show, his music with Moon, his leads during C50, and some leads from BAD.
Aside from Moon I haven't really heard any of Marks solo stuff. I hear its quite good though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:13:57 AM by TaterTotten » Logged

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 06:57:33 AM »

Color me a Beach Boys fan: Brian's done some excellent solo stuff, but the vast majority of his best work was done in the company of his brothers, cousin & friends, and always will be, as the 2012 album proved beyond doubt.

For me it's without a doubt BB #1, BW #2. And I still love TWGMTR. But in all fairness, TLOS is at least as good...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »

I'm one of those guys from 61-62 and it is simply TBB. What I don't like is people slamming any one member at the expense of another. And, let's face it, its either BW or ML. Both had their faults but I love the band. When the first songs that you fell in love with were about surfing and cars, how could it get better. That's why I live in SoCal and drive Vettes.

So did Jan Berry - okay that was mean, i admit it.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »

I'm just waiting for Marilyn to release an album as good as Plastic Ono Band or Fly and then the Beatles comparisons for me will have obtained completely.

edit: Or should that be Melinda...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »

Looks like the Dennis fanboys struck again in the survivor threads...

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »

The Beach Boys thread

The most non-descript thread title in the history of this board? Tongue
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »

for me, it's all about Banana & Louie.   Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

The Beach Boys thread

The most non-descript thread title in the history of this board? Tongue
It was needed at the time with all band member faction names... LOL

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »

Color me a Beach Boys fan: Brian's done some excellent solo stuff, but the vast majority of his best work was done in the company of his brothers, cousin & friends, and always will be, as the 2012 album proved beyond doubt.

For me it's without a doubt BB #1, BW #2. And I still love TWGMTR. But in all fairness, TLOS is at least as good...

But how good would it have been as a Beach Boys album....

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 04:08:06 AM »

Good question. I'd probably have Summertime Blues, Kustom Kar Show, his music with Moon, his leads during C50, and some leads from BAD.
Aside from Moon I haven't really heard any of Marks solo stuff. I hear its quite good though.
Check out "I Wanna Cry" (or the entire "Ultimate Collector's Edition" by The Marksmen), it's a very cool song. Here's description by Mr. Stebbins:

A 1964 track written and produced by a 16 year old, this song really deserved to be a top 40 hit, instead of a single nobody heard. The twelve string is magical, the tom thumps are British Invasion meets Spector, haunting backing vocals. Sounds closer the Zombies than the Beach Boys. I don't know how Dave pulled this off, but he sure didn't get any credit for it.
I think David sang pretty good on it too.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx