gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:13:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about that Beatles show!?  (Read 6284 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »

"Hey Jude" was about Julian Lennon. Sadly, Julian was not invited to the show last night, I'm assuming due to Yoko.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »

Based on what?

Julian is in Africa having the time of his life. He is exactly where he wants to be.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »

I wish P and R had played all the songs together and played the actual tunes (more of them) from the original show. Since Ringo's drums were inaudible (I heard a little on "boys"?), we never really heard him and Paul together. So sad he did not replicate his famous entry into HJ--Paul's drummer did it. . . .that was disappointing
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 01:53:50 AM »

I've watched all the clips of the show I could find, and the highlight (to me) was easily Jeff Lynne singing Something with George Harrison's son Dhani. I couldn't help but get a bit teary, they really nailed it.

Julian is in Africa having the time of his life. He is exactly where he wants to be.

Julian appeared on Jimmy Fallon (or maybe Leno, can't quite remember) 2 months ago and played one of his own songs, and the resemblance with his father was really quite eerie. Julian's voice and songwriting both channel John's own, but he is clearly his own person, not at all riding on who his father is. Or atleast, that's what I gathered from the performance. In any case, it was nice to see.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »

Rebroadcast is on tonight.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »

Worth mentioning -- in the back could be seen the Stockholm Strings.  You may remember them from the Smile tour.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »

"Hey Jude" was about Julian Lennon. Sadly, Julian was not invited to the show last night, I'm assuming due to Yoko.

Julian and Paul seem to have had a falling out recently and Julian IS a touchy person.  I know because he threw an absolute hissy fit on me on Facebook last year because I made a harmless remark about him turning 50.  Threw such a fit that I was getting scolded by May Pang! 

One thing I noticed about the show was how Pete Best was not mentioned by name whatsoever.  When they talked Ringo they said "replace their drummer".     It's an absolute shame how Pete has been treated by The Beatles and their organization over the years.    People can talk about Pete Best and call his drumming bad all they want but the Decca Tapes and Pete's Hayman's Green album from a few years ago have made me into quite a fan of his drumming and his songwriting.      Also notice that Yoko and Sean sat in the audience and were never invited on stage during the show.   That is politics also. 
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »

Seems Julian Lennon was doing some pretty heavy duty charity work while in Africa.  Here is a link to an interview in the "Brooklyn Vegan" talking about that as well as the anniversary show:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/02/an_interview_w_68.html

And an interesting quote from that interview:

BV: You mentioned seeing the Grammys and the upcoming "reunion" show as a bit too much. Your response to the anniversary of the Beatles coming to America seems to be more reflective as a kind of response to the nostalgic sense of a band reunion. What's your perspective on the reunion?

Julian: All in all, there's a lot that can be said. I've always said there never can be a reunion because, you know, two of the members are missing. It's an impossibility for there to be a reunion as such. I thought it was a bit weird that Ringo ended up playing a McCartney song more than anything else. I don't know. To me, the last thing I wanted to do was stand in the audience with everybody else, clapping my hands, and being filmed in front of millions while watching a Beatles karaoke session. Okay, some of the biggest acts in the world were there, but I felt...I don't know. Give me the originals any day. I'll listen or watch the originals any day, and that's my cup of tea. That's why I decided that I much more preferred to be in a state of reflection and appreciation and doing something much more subtle and much more heartfelt, in my mind, than the glitz and the glam of those kind of shows.

Good for him.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »

Oh, who cares if it was overblown and unnecessary?  It was still great and it's not like they were trying to make it a genuine Beatles reunion even though it's the closest you can get to one these days.  It was celebrating the music and how it impacted America and it was all in good fun.  Lighten up, Jude!

I thought it was a bit weird that Ringo ended up playing a McCartney song more than anything else

If he thinks it's weird for Ringo to be playing Yellow Submarine or With a Little Help from My Friends, he's probably never seen Ringo perform live in the past two decades.  It would be weird for Ringo not to play those songs if anything.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

I wouldn't rush to overstate or even try to recompensate Pete Best on his legacy, because the hard truth is what happened to him happened for a reason, no matter how nice a guy he is and has been. He simply didn't fit the band, and from the earliest days he joined he was never really in the John-Paul-George circle. He didn't hang with them as much, he got more girls which made the others jealous, he could act like a loner and simply not associate with them, and if you hear some of his drum tracks he can go from competent to amateurish depending on the track. He did a specific stage beat, like the 4-on-the-floor stomp, filled the drum chair for the time he was there, but again he just wasn't the right guy for the job.

I'll defend Ringo all day and night, to me some of his beats as simple as they may sound are incredibly unique and have a terrific feel. Ask any drummer to do either the Ringo beat or even a "Ringo Shuffle" and any decent drummer will know exactly what that is. He was the right fit for the band.

I didn't mind them not mentioning him, I mean seriously...why would Ringo mention the guy he replaced? They might as well have mentioned Stu or some of the Quarrymen too, for that matter.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

They didn't do anything like this for the Beach Boys...  Roll Eyes
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »

True, but the Beach Boys can say "Hey Beatles, we have our own fucking slot machines, how about them apples!"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »

While you cana argue that at their peak, the Beach Boys may have been as great if not a better band than the Beatles, they never even came close to having the same cultural impact.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »

Oh, who cares if it was overblown and unnecessary?  It was still great and it's not like they were trying to make it a genuine Beatles reunion even though it's the closest you can get to one these days.  It was celebrating the music and how it impacted America and it was all in good fun.  Lighten up, Jude!

I thought it was a bit weird that Ringo ended up playing a McCartney song more than anything else

If he thinks it's weird for Ringo to be playing Yellow Submarine or With a Little Help from My Friends, he's probably never seen Ringo perform live in the past two decades.  It would be weird for Ringo not to play those songs if anything.

My comment of "good for him (Julian Lennon)" had more to do with the work he is doing.  As for his comments about the celebration, it seems to have a dose of sour grapes but on the other hand I agree with a bit of the summary.  I've never been a fan of seeing say Lou Reed being toasted by people in tuxedos, or rock and roll being put in a museum.  So a room full of fat cats dancing stiffly doesn't do it for me.  But it doesn't really matter that much.  And I did enjoy some of the performances.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:50 AM »

I bet if Julian were invited, he would have been there.  It's pride and sour grapes. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »

I bet if Julian were invited, he would have been there.  It's pride and sour grapes. 

You have no idea whether or not he was invited. On what are you basing your assumptions?
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »

I wouldn't rush to overstate or even try to recompensate Pete Best on his legacy, because the hard truth is what happened to him happened for a reason, no matter how nice a guy he is and has been. He simply didn't fit the band, and from the earliest days he joined he was never really in the John-Paul-George circle. He didn't hang with them as much, he got more girls which made the others jealous, he could act like a loner and simply not associate with them, and if you hear some of his drum tracks he can go from competent to amateurish depending on the track. He did a specific stage beat, like the 4-on-the-floor stomp, filled the drum chair for the time he was there, but again he just wasn't the right guy for the job.

I'll defend Ringo all day and night, to me some of his beats as simple as they may sound are incredibly unique and have a terrific feel. Ask any drummer to do either the Ringo beat or even a "Ringo Shuffle" and any decent drummer will know exactly what that is. He was the right fit for the band.

I didn't mind them not mentioning him, I mean seriously...why would Ringo mention the guy he replaced? They might as well have mentioned Stu or some of the Quarrymen too, for that matter.

Pete was such a big part of the Hamburg days and their early history.  He should be remembered for that.    Also I stand by the fact Hayman's Green is one of the finest Beatles Solo albums of the past two decades.   Better than any of Ringo's work except maybe the "Ringo" album which had the other three writing songs for him.   Pete Best co-wrote all the songs on Hayman's Green with his bass player and they are melodic and fresh.    I bought the album as a curiousity and after listening to it once I was so amazed that I played it exclusively for a number of days.   Love it.   Give it a listen if u have the chance.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 09:04:20 AM »

I missed this show, I'll have to download it tonight and watch it... can't believe they did stuff like Hey Bulldog, my god the show must have been great.  I'll watch it and reply back with what I thought.

And about Pete Best, I imagine they didn't mention Stu either and wasn't he a bigger part of the band in the early days?  If they mentioned everybody that got them where they are, they wouldn't have been able to sing anything on the show. 

About Julian's comments, the apple didn't fall far from the tree, eh?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »

Walsh was great... but I have to admit, his vocal stylings aren't to my taste at all. I thought his voice sounded  awful.
I didn't see the whole show, only by bits, but I specifically came to this thread to say that I'm a huge Joe Walsh fan! Have a half of the James Gang catalog & all the Barnstorm recordings. To me, he is one of the best guitar players, along with Peter Green, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page & Roy Buchanan. But what I like even more about Joe is exactly his vocal stylings. It's creaky & kind of aback as though he didn't clear his voice, yet very funky. So to each their own.

I agree with EgoHanger - "Imagine Dragons" were a real treat; their "Revolution" is a model for how to outclass the legends. And I never heard of this band before!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx