gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:14:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three Songs You'd Like To See Added To Setlists of M&B and BAD  (Read 8786 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »

Pick three songs you'd like to see added to the Mike and Bruce setlists as well as three songs for any potential Brian/Al/David shows that may be upcoming. Please try to keep songs limited to those who originally sang them(Bruce singing Bruce, Al singing Al...) although we'll make an exception for any Carl songs that could potentially be done by Brian or Dennis songs by David.

I'll post mine later.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:26:40 PM by Mayoman » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »

Double post.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »

1. Surf's Up
   2. Cool Cool Water
   3. Lonely Sea
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »

For M&B:
1. Tears In The Morning
2. Deirdre
3. That's Not Me

For BAD:
1. Honkin' Down the Highway
2. Funky Pretty (With Brian/Jeff on Carl's part, assuming Blondie is there)
3. Be With Me (With Dave on lead vocals)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:59:48 PM by baseball95 » Logged
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »

For M&B, I think they should add Keepin' The Summer Alive.  Probably not the most popular choice, but I think it would go perfectly with the rest of their set.  Heck, throw it into the opening "medley."

For BAD, I'd like to see them do another Dennis song.  Little Bird sounded great with Dave singing.

*Edit* I can't count (or read thread titles)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:07:32 PM by gfac22 » Logged
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »

For M&B, I think they should add Keepin' The Summer Alive.  Probably not the most popular choice, but I think it would go perfectly with the rest of their set.  Heck, throw it into the opening "medley."

For BAD, I'd like to see them do another Dennis song.  Little Bird sounded great with Dave singing.

I agree I think Cowsill would sound great on Keepin the Summer Alive.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

For Brian, while also assuming Al, Blondie and Dave are there, I'd like to see "Caroline No" get performed more regularly (it's one of Brian's best songs and he can still sing it pretty nicely), "Vega-Tables" or even the more stripped down "Vegetables" for Al (as it's a quirky little song I think audiences could get into), and for a harmony vehicle for the whole group I'd say "I Went To Sleep", because as far as I know no Beach Boys has ever performed it live, and it's an overlooked gem. And besides those, I'd like to see "Good Timin'" and "This Whole World" get brought back. And no lead vocals for Dave besides maybe "Summertime Blues". He didn't sing leads on any other Beach Boys tunes and nobody goes to BW shows to hear Dave sing, so leave him on guitar. And Blondie, well...I know if I see him at a BW show, I would love to see him singing "Sail On, Sailor" and "Wild Honey" at the least. I think "Funky Pretty" would be neat too, although that might be a tough one to do live, with all the vocal parts. And honestly, I wouldn't mind "Here She Comes" even without Ricky. Maybe have Blondie just sing the whole thing. But who am I kidding. I think "Here She Comes" is probably the least likely Beach Boys song to ever be played live.

Hmm, for Mike 'n Bruce I'd probably add "Salt Lake City" (really nice rockin' song with a Mike lead, although Brian's band would do it better), "That's Not Me" (more Pet Sounds than the usual 3 songs), "Deirdre" (something else fro Bruce rather than "Disney Girls"). Also, I gotta say, I could never understand why Bruce has to do "Disney Girls" at so many shows. Nobody really gives a sh*t about the song outside of big Beach Boys fans, and a select few other music fans. I think it's either the guys overrating the songs popularity, or it's just them throwing a bone to Bruce, I don't know.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »

For Mike & Bruce:

- "Amusement Parks U.S.A."
- "Cherry Cherry Coupe"
-  just for the fun of it, maybe as a one-off, one of those really fast songs from Surfin' Safari like "Heads You Win, Tails I Lose", "County Fair", or "Chug A Lug"

For Brian:

- "Matchpoint Of Our Love"
- "I'll Bet He's Nice"
-  for David, a surf instrumental like "Moon Dawg", "Stoked", "Surf Jam", or even "Shut Down Part II"
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »

For Brian, while also assuming Al, Blondie and Dave are there, I'd like to see "Caroline No" get performed more regularly (it's one of Brian's best songs and he can still sing it pretty nicely), "Vega-Tables" or even the more stripped down "Vegetables" for Al (as it's a quirky little song I think audiences could get into), and for a harmony vehicle for the whole group I'd say "I Went To Sleep", because as far as I know no Beach Boys has ever performed it live, and it's an overlooked gem. And besides those, I'd like to see "Good Timin'" and "This Whole World" get brought back. And no lead vocals for Dave besides maybe "Summertime Blues". He didn't sing leads on any other Beach Boys tunes and nobody goes to BW shows to hear Dave sing, so leave him on guitar. And Blondie, well...I know if I see him at a BW show, I would love to see him singing "Sail On, Sailor" and "Wild Honey" at the least. I think "Funky Pretty" would be neat too, although that might be a tough one to do live, with all the vocal parts. And honestly, I wouldn't mind "Here She Comes" even without Ricky. Maybe have Blondie just sing the whole thing. But who am I kidding. I think "Here She Comes" is probably the least likely Beach Boys song to ever be played live.

Hmm, for Mike 'n Bruce I'd probably add "Salt Lake City" (really nice rockin' song with a Mike lead, although Brian's band would do it better), "That's Not Me" (more Pet Sounds than the usual 3 songs), "Deirdre" (something else fro Bruce rather than "Disney Girls"). Also, I gotta say, I could never understand why Bruce has to do "Disney Girls" at so many shows. Nobody really gives a sh*t about the song outside of big Beach Boys fans, and a select few other music fans. I think it's either the guys overrating the songs popularity, or it's just them throwing a bone to Bruce, I don't know.

With the exception of I Write The Songs, Disney Girls is Bruce's biggest composition in terms of popularity having been covered by Cass Elliot, Captain and Tenille, and Art Garfunkel. Garfunkel's version has also been on a few of his "best of" compilations so it has an audience outside of the BB fan base.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »

For Brian:

- "I'll Bet He's Nice"

Good suggestion…IMHO it would be a great way for BAD to provide a tribute to Dennis and Carl by having some creative video inclusion of their parts. Always loved I'll Bet He's Nice since it was such a balance of all 3 Wilson brothers
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »

For Brian:

- "I'll Bet He's Nice"

Good suggestion…IMHO it would be a great way for BAD to provide a tribute to Dennis and Carl by having some creative video inclusion of their parts. Always loved I'll Bet He's Nice since it was such a balance of all 3 Wilson brothers

Yeah, they could also perform it live by giving Dennis' part to David and Carl's part to Al. It'd be great!

I must've listened to "I'll Bet He's Nice" several hundred times since 1977, and it still blows me away. The arrangements....those arrangements....brilliant. There is so much going on in "I'll Bet He's Nice", yet it doesn't sound like it's too much. Is it genius? I think it is. Are Brian's arrangements on "I'll Bet He's Nice" genius?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:27:41 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

I must've listened to "I'll Bet He's Nice" several hundred times since 1977, and it still blows me away. The arrangements....those arrangements....brilliant. There is so much going on in "I'll Bet He's Nice", yet it doesn't sound like it's too much. Is it genius? I think it is. Are Brian's arrangements on "I'll Bet He's Nice" genius?

Love the arrangement, think it's genius, and I love it as a historical snap shot of the 3 Wilson brothers and where their voices were in 1976. Is there any other BB track that features Brian, Carl, and Dennis as the only 3 prominent leads?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »

For Mike and Bruce....
-That's Not Me...I think this would bring Mike at least some respect from those that think he's stuck on a "formula"
-Amusement Parks USA....well they play at plenty of em!
-She Believes in Love Again....not my favorite Bruce song BUT, I think this one could realistically replace Disney Girls live.

For Brian/Al/David
-The Lonely Sea....just because!
-Wouldn't it Be Nice...with AL back on lead vocal!!!
-Cuddle Up...diggin deep for Dave!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »

There are some great suggestions here, oh man. I'd love for any of these picked up by either band.

M&B:
1: All I Wanna Do
2: Aren't You Glad
3: Had to Phone Ya

All songs with Mike leads, but his voice still sounds good to me, and I'd to hear how the touring band handles these arrangements.

BAD:
1: The TWGMTR Suite (Back Again -> Summer's Gone). They have the voices and all the instruments, why not start playing this? Its such a perfect setof music.
2: Passing By (or anything from Friends really, but Passing By has always been my favorite). A wordless mid-set 'interlude'.
3: Let's Put Our Hearts Together (Or, again, anything from Love You.) This, or Honkin' cuz Al is there.

The deeper cuts sound better to me when played by Brian. I really would not mind if the car songs were done away with completely in favor of more obscure tracks. Maybe a few shows could be done with just this stuff in mind?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »

With the exception of I Write The Songs, Disney Girls is Bruce's biggest composition in terms of popularity having been covered by Cass Elliot, Captain and Tenille, and Art Garfunkel. Garfunkel's version has also been on a few of his "best of" compilations so it has an audience outside of the BB fan base.

I totally get what you're saying. But it still doesn't seem like it has to be on the setlist like the audience won't go home happy if they don't hear it. Perhaps it's just because Bruce can't be bothered to teach the backing band another one of his songs though. Who knows?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »

Both: California Feelin', Roller Skating Child

M&B - Good Timin', Mountain of Love

BAD - Lookin' At Tomorrow.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 12:59:28 AM »

I totally get what you're saying. But it still doesn't seem like it has to be on the setlist like the audience won't go home happy if they don't hear it. Perhaps it's just because Bruce can't be bothered to teach the backing band another one of his songs though. Who knows?

Because Bruce (and 95% of people probably) considers it to be by far his best Beach Boys song.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 03:14:44 AM »

Here Today, Isn't It Time, Summer's Gone.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 03:31:21 AM »

Mike and Bruce (acoustic set)
- Lahaina Aloha (Christian on the chorus)
- All I Wanna Do
- Brian's Back (Christian on the chorus)

Brian/Al/David
- Soulful Old Man Sunshine
- Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
- Rio Grande

Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 04:22:38 AM »

M &B
Aren't you glad
All I wanna do
That's Not Me or Here Today

BAD

The night was so young
From there to back again/PCH
Rio Grande

Before Brian packs up his keyboard and walks off into the sunset, I don't care where or when, but Rio Grande at least needs one live performance and for someone to capture a good quality video. I'd imagine the band would be amazing on it.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 06:20:08 AM »

Both: California Feelin', Roller Skating Child

M&B - Good Timin', Mountain of Love

BAD - Lookin' At Tomorrow.

M&B actually play Good Timin' somewhat regularly. When I saw them in 2010, John Stamos sang it as a tribute to Carl & Dennis.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 06:36:32 AM »

BAD

Honkin Down The Highway
Diamond Head
Shortenin Bread

Mike And Bruce

Let Us Go On This Way
All I Wanna Do
Monster Mash

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:10 AM »

Because Bruce (and 95% of people probably) considers it to be by far his best Beach Boys song.

95% of people don't even know the fuckin song.

And even more likely, 95% of people at a Mike and Bruce "Beach Boys" show also don't know it.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:01 AM »

And even more likely, 95% of people at a Mike and Bruce "Beach Boys" show also don't know it.

And 95% of people at a Mike and Bruce show don't know or care about Bruce Johnston.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »

And 95% of people at a Mike and Bruce show don't know or care about Bruce Johnston.

And, that's yet another reason for Bruce to perform it.

If people are attending a Beach Boys concert - and don't know or care about "Disney Girls" and/or Bruce Johnston - then that's a PERFECT time and place to perform the song and give credit to the person who wrote it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx