gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 New Releases  (Read 53204 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »

Was listening to the new Literature album, Chorus today while reading what new releases were around ... and what the f*** have we here? Leonard Cohen has a new album coming out next month and released the first single, "Almost Like the Blues." Haven't even listened to it yet (aside from a few seconds of a preview), but bought and am downloading as we speak. I'm interested.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »

thinking about the quality of music so extensively is such a waste of mental resources be creative instead
As creative as your signature? Grin

its a lyric from Bluebirds Over The Mountain. i think it's cute
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »

New Rentals LP is recommended for any power/indie pop addicts (and Weezer fans)!

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »

New Rentals LP is recommended for any power/indie pop addicts (and Weezer fans)!

I didn't know that they were even still together! I had the first one, which of course I got turned onto by 'Friends Of P'.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »

Swiftgate, anyone? (Gotta love pop culture controversy. See billion-page threads in the BBs discussion forum for proof!)

Monday, Taylor Swift released what could be argued to be her first pure pop single (though that last album was pretty fucking poppy), "Shake it Off," from the upcoming album 1989. The song reminds me of some Frankenstein's monster of Outkast's "Hey Ya," Vampire Weekend's "Diane Young," and something of the Rubinoos' -- oops, I mean Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend." It's sugar. It's good sugar. Honestly, this is a fine single. I could do without the spoken bit, but othewise I'm all for it. Quality pop song, would have been a great summer hit, so I'm a bit surprised it is coming out now.

However, its video also brought up some controversy, with Swift dancing horribly for comedic purposes in different environments: ballet, 80s b-boy, modern, and yes, with twerkers. Some, including (the fantastic) rapper Earl Sweatshirt, have said the video is racist for perpetuating stereotypes. (The brilliant Mr. Sweatshirt probably shouldn't have admitted to not having seen the video in his critical tweets, though ... kind of hurts one's credibility.) I don't think it's racist, but I do think making comedy based on any culture--not necessarily just race, but culture--other than one's own is risky business. I can happen, it can work, but it's so easy to get in trouble with it. And this is the territory where someone's reaction is arguably more valid than your intentions. Not funny to bad taste to racist (or sexist or homophobic or otherwise nasty) isn't always a big leap.

Anyway, here is a Grantland piece that links to the video: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/haters-keep-hating-taylor-swifts-shake-it-off-will-take-over-the-world/

If NY Times is more to your taste, there is a link to an article there as well, also linking to the video: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/taylor-swifts-shake-it-off-video-a-dance-critics-take/?_php=true&_type=blogs&src=me&_r=0

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

I'm not really a big fan of the song. Could really have done with some tightening up (whatever happened to 2:30 pop songs? Those were great), and I would have cut out the disposable "haters gonna hate". Then again, this kinda pop music really ain't mine thing and I don't know what people are looking for in these songs. I guess it's a nice, feel-good, relateable song for people to dance and brush off criticism to.

Also, I don't really have any problem with the video and think the only racist thing about it is the reactions. I think it's racist to assume that only one group of people can belong in a specific culture, but I guess sensational wording is what people go for these days.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »

(whatever happened to 2:30 pop songs? Those were great),

I think what happened is maybe because albums are expected to be 40 minutes or more nowadays. It's pretty sad, but at least it's no longer an early 90s situation when CDs were 70 minutes and songs 5-6 minutes
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »

(whatever happened to 2:30 pop songs? Those were great),

I think what happened is maybe because albums are expected to be 40 minutes or more nowadays. It's pretty sad, but at least it's no longer an early 90s situation when CDs were 70 minutes and songs 5-6 minutes

NOOOOOOOOOO

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »

Another good example is Bowie's Black Tie White Noise.

Little Pad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

Mac DeMarco's Salad Days and Future Islands' Singles are my two favourite albums of the year. New St. Vincent was cool too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »

Avi Buffalo's new At Best Cuckold is very, very rapidly growing on me. The band apparently comprises some serious youngsters--teens, I think--but the writing and arrangements are really impressive. The singer presents a kind of Wayne Coyne, Daniel Johnston, or John Ringhofer (Half Handed Cloud) sort of "I'm awed by the world" persona, both in lyrics and affectations. But the music really has some impressive moments of pop. Some of it is like the poppier side of Elf Power, some of it is Flaming Lips, some almost like a rudimentary Bacharach, if that makes much sense.

Here is a live performance (from a few years ago) of one of the better songs, "She Is Seventeen." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPoBrwDDmg

The studio version found on the album has a fuller arrangement, piano, really nice bass line, and some subtle drumming.

I think I really recommend it. $9 (on iTunes) well spent in my opinion.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »

I swear I'm not a 15-year-old fat girl, but I'm hooked on Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass."

Here is the video of the studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Here is the Fallon/Roots "toys" performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc9MzCcmNCU

Some of the lyrics actually bug the sh*t out of me: I think blatant "empowerment" lyrics are almost always tedious, even giving away an underlying envy and inferiority (which actually contradicts their surface message in the first place). I mean, "skinny bitches" and all that ... ugh. (A bigger woman can easily be a beauty without belittling the smaller woman who's also a beauty, for f***'s sake...) ANYWAY, point being, this song is an earworm, as are a few others on her EP.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

Robyn Hitchcock's The Man Upstairs is a beautiful album
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »

I swear I'm not a 15-year-old fat girl, but I'm hooked on Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass."

Here is the video of the studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Here is the Fallon/Roots "toys" performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc9MzCcmNCU

Some of the lyrics actually bug the sh*t out of me: I think blatant "empowerment" lyrics are almost always tedious, even giving away an underlying envy and inferiority (which actually contradicts their surface message in the first place). I mean, "skinny bitches" and all that ... ugh. (A bigger woman can easily be a beauty without belittling the smaller woman who's also a beauty, for f***'s sake...) ANYWAY, point being, this song is an earworm, as are a few others on her EP.

I found that song yesterday and I agree with you. The lyrics aren't that great, but I just love the guitar in this song.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

I've been listening to some of the songs on NPR and there's some really good stuff on this album.
I would recommend this album to people who would like it.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:02:03 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

I only first heard the song a few days ago, I'm with you on that. When I pay attention to the lyrics I want to vomit, but I enjoy the song otherwise, and the production and song sound pretty 60's to me (with the exception of the drums). I like her voice too.

The entire EP nods to classic '50s and '60s forms. I think it's pretty great, actually, shitty lyrics or not.

Here is a cool jazz-trio version I really like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTTX6Wlf1Y

zachrwolfe
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:55 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »

The past few days I've really been liking Sam smith's "I'm not the only one." While lukewarm on the rest of what I've heard of his, I think that's a fantastic song and vocal. The understated piano throughout is cool,too.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »

Picked up the new Jeff Tweedy and son album today. Only played it once through but it sounds promising.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »

The past few days I've really been liking Sam smith's "I'm not the only one." While lukewarm on the rest of what I've heard of his, I think that's a fantastic song and vocal. The understated piano throughout is cool,too.

Here is a link to the video. (May as well try to make it a little easier to listen to... Music starts at :43)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkpzqqog4k

zachrwolfe
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:01:51 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2014, 05:30:15 AM »

I have checked out a few and agree. A friend who assumed I knew all about it turned me on to it. (I'd never heard of the project.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

I've been listening to some of the songs on NPR and there's some really good stuff on this album.
I would recommend this album to people who would like it.

That last sentence cracked me up. Thanks for the tip on the album: I'm just over halfway through it on Spotify and have no idea whether I want to buy it. But I suspect I'm going to want to listen to it a few times to get a better handle on it, as there's plenty going on. It's quality work, no question about that. My only question for myself is, do I like it? Or just appreciate it? I thought "My Body" was really good. The first few songs, less so. The piano sound on "Don't Let Them In" is good.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »

That last sentence cracked me up. Thanks for the tip on the album: I'm just over halfway through it on Spotify and have no idea whether I want to buy it. But I suspect I'm going to want to listen to it a few times to get a better handle on it, as there's plenty going on. It's quality work, no question about that. My only question for myself is, do I like it? Or just appreciate it? I thought "My Body" was really good. The first few songs, less so. The piano sound on "Don't Let Them In" is good.

I'm really enjoying it. The album is filled with twisted pop songs that sound like they were made by a gay super villain.
I actually like the beginning songs a lot, especially "Queen" and "Fool". The line "no family is safe when I sashay" from "Queen" is just brilliant.
It has a sort of Freak Out! vibe to it where the songs get progressively weirder as you go deeper into the album, only to wash back up on the last song, "All Along."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx