-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Opening the Gates of Hell: Petition to Unban Everyone
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Opening the Gates of Hell: Petition to Unban Everyone  (Read 14755 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29:41 AM »

I talk with Ethan semi regularly...He was okay with his second banning.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 06:39:13 AM »

I don't know what he said to get banned a second time, I'm sure you mods had every right to ban him. It just sucks that he was backed into a corner all the time by a few fellow posters here. He's a nice guy, has a great love for the Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »

Its really just because they think he doesn't deserve to be banned and would like to see him back here. That's not an obsession, or being a fan. That's just wanting a peer back here posting.

He's been a fan a long time, and it seems a bit sad to me he's been banned from the best BB site.

Indeed. I never took his "Myke Luhv" shtick seriously...'twas just a funny thing to read as I scrolled through the millionth "top 25 favorite Dennis songs" thread. The "Bring OSD back" campaign was more of a joke than anything.

Granted, as AGD (or another highly-esteemed poster) recently pointed out, perhaps more people like Bruce would post here if there were a void of trolls like OSD. And I have to admit, I've noticed more honored guests post here in his absence...Perhaps a coincidence...perhaps not.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:09 AM »

There are, of course, 2 sides to it  Tongue
Ethan was harmless, and its more than likely it would have stayed that way, as long as his freakout wasn't mentioned. So while it really should not have been brought up so often, some had the right to be angry. If I had a child who saw those photos, I don't think I could just forgive and forget. But it wasn't just that one thread, it happened when he posted anything.
But he did have some issues. Is an internet message board the best place for him, where anything can be said by anyone with no real repercussion? People (in general) are insensitive over the internet. Its not correct, but it is easy to be ignorant of someone who lives very far away and only exists to you in text.

So eh. I liked him. I talked with him a little via pm, and he was really pleasant, but I would not say his ban was unfairly cast, even if the circumstances were unfortunate.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:12:30 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »

Its really just because they think he doesn't deserve to be banned and would like to see him back here. That's not an obsession, or being a fan. That's just wanting a peer back here posting.

He's been a fan a long time, and it seems a bit sad to me he's been banned from the best BB site.

Indeed. I never took his "Myke Luhv" shtick seriously...'twas just a funny thing to read as I scrolled through the millionth "top 25 favorite Dennis songs" thread. The "Bring OSD back" campaign was more of a joke than anything.

Granted, as AGD (or another highly-esteemed poster) recently pointed out, perhaps more people like Bruce would post here if there were a void of trolls like OSD. And I have to admit, I've noticed more honored guests post here in his absence...Perhaps a coincidence...perhaps not.

He was on the Robert Andersson forum talking about how he was thinking of going to the parking lot of the M&B show nearby and handing out leaflets to try and boycott the show  Grin
Made me laugh. Goofy can be good...though he was probably serious  LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »

Yeah, I see your point and I do sympathize with the person whose kid saw the images. I just wish people were a little more sympathetic to Ethan's issues....because he really tried to redeem himself.

He was on the Robert Andersson forum talking about how he was thinking of going to the parking lot of the M&B show nearby and handing out leaflets to try and boycott the show  Grin
Made me laugh. Goofy can be good...though he was probably serious  LOL

LOL Okay, that is pure gold LOL time to rally the team, we're starting the Bring Back OSD campaign again:

totally kidding of course Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »

YES!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

That was horrendously disgusting what he did, and if anything happens I sort-of hope he remains banned.

Judging by other posts he made, he was a complete prick anyway. So I totally sympathize with you.

I think a good number of his posts are pretty amazing - dude really knew his music and it's always a pleasure to re-read them when I go through old topics.

He sure knew his music and was fun to talk to - until you didn't like something he did and then you were just 'stooooopid and didn't know what you were talking about' etc... Also he claimed he was just as outspoken in real life as he was from behind a keyboard, I doubt this unless he's a six foot plus black belt - if not he'd be picking up his teeth by now.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »

For one day, set either on April 1st or the 4th of July, I want the mods to open the floodgates and unban everybody. Just think of the fun we would have.

This is a good idea. Agreed?

Your idea has a small amount of merit, but I don't want to debate who deserved/didn't deserve to be banned, so here's what I think: 

April 1st, any past members ever banned, will be unbanned, FOR 24 HOURS ONLY. For that same time span, all current members will be banned, so as not to be forced into any interaction with the first group.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

Agreed with OSD. While I do think he should be unbanned, I find the obsession with him with some people to be insane!

There's no obsession with OSD...some folks just liked him, myself included.

I really hope that at least one of the mods (hopefully Billy as he was sympathetic) would come to their senses and unblock Ethan Clarke!

That will never happen. Saying the mods should "come to their senses" is just not appropriate considering what Ethan did. He may have been nice, but he was unstable.

I wouldn't say he was too unstable, after the gore pictures incident, he proved to be a great member of this board for over a year, and was a great contributor. It's also worth noting that he really made an effort to change, and in a way I think he succeeded. Pixletwin and Stephen (and earlier, I.Spaceman) were pushing and attacking Ethan on that last thread. Ethan shouldn't have made that hypocritical comment, and I can understand why the two were angry, but I do feel for Ethan. He has Autism, and people with Autism can't really cope with pressure, and they can get hurt easily. Perhaps the two (and Jason) could have been more understanding. He made the last two comments because he didn't know what else to say, he was freaking out. And while that is abnormal behaviour for normal people, it was most likely how Ethan coped with the attacks on him, and he was obviously very upset.
Ethan did not fully deserve the treatment he got that day, and with his condition, he couldn't really help it, which is something the others didn't realize. Jason in particular should have handled that a lot better as he is a mod.
I still say Ethan should be unbanned!

People seem to forget that Ethan didn't just post those pictures, but he specifically said that "you're going to end up like this when I find out who you ****ers are" as he posted them.  It was an explicit death threat.  If there is really a rule that people are permanently banned after making death threats (which seems like a pretty reasonable rule to me), Ethan should never have been unbanned to begin with.  To claim that he should be unbanned and I. Spaceman shouldn't be is a pretty straightforward double standard.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »

Exactly, as one of the people he want to go after and kill that day. (I was one of his biggest supporters before that)

I agree that he should have stayed banned the first time and blew his second chance for making fun of AGD being banned.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »

Awesome Rab.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »

No names here, but if one of those guys does come back for 24 hours, it's gonna be open season and I'll be having target practice on him for awhile.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »

Can me, OSD, and Rob Mcabe have a meeting of the minds on the problem of Mike love. Evil

bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

Agreed with OSD. While I do think he should be unbanned, I find the obsession with him with some people to be insane!

There's no obsession with OSD...some folks just liked him, myself included.

I really hope that at least one of the mods (hopefully Billy as he was sympathetic) would come to their senses and unblock Ethan Clarke!

That will never happen. Saying the mods should "come to their senses" is just not appropriate considering what Ethan did. He may have been nice, but he was unstable.

I wouldn't say he was too unstable, after the gore pictures incident, he proved to be a great member of this board for over a year, and was a great contributor. It's also worth noting that he really made an effort to change, and in a way I think he succeeded. Pixletwin and Stephen (and earlier, I.Spaceman) were pushing and attacking Ethan on that last thread. Ethan shouldn't have made that hypocritical comment, and I can understand why the two were angry, but I do feel for Ethan. He has Autism, and people with Autism can't really cope with pressure, and they can get hurt easily. Perhaps the two (and Jason) could have been more understanding. He made the last two comments because he didn't know what else to say, he was freaking out. And while that is abnormal behaviour for normal people, it was most likely how Ethan coped with the attacks on him, and he was obviously very upset.
Ethan did not fully deserve the treatment he got that day, and with his condition, he couldn't really help it, which is something the others didn't realize. Jason in particular should have handled that a lot better as he is a mod.
I still say Ethan should be unbanned!

People seem to forget that Ethan didn't just post those pictures, but he specifically said that "you're going to end up like this when I find out who you ****ers are" as he posted them.  It was an explicit death threat.  If there is really a rule that people are permanently banned after making death threats (which seems like a pretty reasonable rule to me), Ethan should never have been unbanned to begin with.  To claim that he should be unbanned and I. Spaceman shouldn't be is a pretty straightforward double standard.

Exactly, as one of the people he want to go after and kill that day. (I was one of his biggest supporters before that)

I agree that he should have stayed banned the first time and blew his second chance for making fun of AGD being banned.

You also shouldn't forget that he has Autism, and when you push someone with Autism on the edge, things can turn ugly. He couldn't help it, and he genuinely regretted it after.
People do keep forgetting that he has a disability, and though his Autism is relatively high functioning (if he was low functioning, he wouldn't be able to talk or communicate to anyone), he still displayed obvious symptoms for it.
And what he did on that last thread was in no way justified in banning him, especially taking account of what he has and how he had done nothing for over a year before and made a great effort to change. I said it once, and I'll say it again: Bring Back Ethan!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Don't care. Glad he's gone.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

I don't know what he said to get banned a second time, I'm sure you mods had every right to ban him. It just sucks that he was backed into a corner all the time by a few fellow posters here. He's a nice guy, has a great love for the Beach Boys.

This is the thread where Ethan got banned in. I'll let you judge for yourself whether he was fairly banned or not:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16045.0.html
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »

He was, now deal with it.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »

He wasn't, now respect my opinion and I'll respect yours.
Put it this way: I want Ethan back as much as you want OSD back!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:06:56 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »

He wasn't, now respect my opinion

Did someone appoint you as his public defender? You seem to feel this is often a role you must fill. I think that is strange - that is just my opinion.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

He wasn't, now respect my opinion and I'll respect yours.
Put it this way: I want Ethan back as much as you want OSD back!

Did someone appoint you as his public defender? You seem to feel this is often a role you must fill. I think that is strange - that is just my opinion.

I say this as someone who has Asperger's Syndrome, which is similar to Autism but not nearly as severe, and far more stable.
Those pictures he posted in 2012 (I think) was horrid and I have nothing but sympathy for you who's child saw those images.
But people should have taken into account what he had, and how he made an strong effort to redeem himself. For someone with Autism, that is quite an uphill battle, but he did a great job.
What's also to take into account is how Autism affects your Communicative skills, so sometimes it may not look like he regret it, but I can tell he really did. And honestly, since that incident he proved to be a great member of this board, contributing greatly around here.
That incident with him, you, Stephen, and Jason did not justify him being banned. He made those final comments because he had no idea what to say, he was freaking out. It was quite sad to see.
I know you may not still agree with me, and I can understand. But please at least take into account his disability.

Love and Mercy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:20:31 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

For what it's worth, I talk with Ethan semi-regularly (and consider him a friend, actually) , and he's not only okay with his ban but also feels it was for the best.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »

Whether he regrets it or not isn't my concern. It's a drag to surf the board and worry about what your kids may or may not see as they look over your shoulder. What he did broke my trust and the trust of many others.

It was right to ban him the first time.

It was wrong to let him back, in the first place, and it was right to ban him the second time based on that. Something which, according to Billy, he himself acknowledges now.

It was a real cocky move for him to root and cheer for the banning of another member in light of this (just or unjust). It was in poor taste. It rankled because it suggested that he didn't understand the reasons behind his initial banning and his "humble regret" was exposed as lip service. The man tried to manipulate people on to his side by feigning an imminent suicide should he be banned again.

No forum needs a drama magnet like that guy.

Billy has a soft heart. That is one of the things I like about him. I think that is awesome. But banning that guy was then, and still is, the right thing to have done.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Time get back to work.  Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »

Whether he regrets it or not isn't my concern. It's a drag to surf the board and worry about what your kids may or may not see as they look over your shoulder. What he did broke my trust and the trust of many others.

It was right to ban him the first time.

It was wrong to let him back, in the first place, and it was right to ban him the second time based on that. Something which, according to Billy, he himself acknowledges now.

It was a real cocky move for him to root and cheer for the banning of another member in light of this (just or unjust). It was in poor taste. It rankled because it suggested that he didn't understand the reasons behind his initial banning and his "humble regret" was exposed as lip service. The man tried to manipulate people on to his side by feigning an imminent suicide should he be banned again.

No forum needs a drama magnet like that guy.

Billy has a soft heart. That is one of the things I like about him. I think that is awesome. But banning that guy was then, and still is, the right thing to have done.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Time get back to work.  Grin

He wasn't trying to manipulate anyone or was lying about regretting. I think he understood why he was banned in the first place, but as I have said, he has what is partly a Communication disorder, so he would have likely had a lot of trouble to express his feelings. He was freaking out when he made the last comments, he didn't know what else to say. Also, he had done virtually nothing bad for over a year before that, and he did seem like a genuinely nice guy.

Anyway, I can see that the only way we can agree is to agree to disagree on this  Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

He blew it twice and it's time to move on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: