gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:25:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "What Music Did You Buy Today?" Thread  (Read 47506 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 03:15:16 AM »

Two from Discogs this week - Tim Hardin/Replacements

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »

The new Half Price Books in Schuamburg was good to me yesterday.

Still Cruisin' LP - Like new, looks untouched. I don't think I'd even seen a vinyl copy for sale in a store before. Oddly enough, they also had a CD copy for sale, so someone must have dumped off their collection LOL

Surf's Up LP - Original issue with poster, also looks untouched. I hadn't picked this up before because I knew I would be able to find a cheaper copy then what some of the record stores that cater to collectors wanted for it. I paid $6.99 for this copy. Patience pays off.

The Beach Boys In Concert Book - I never got around to ordering it online, so I was happy to run across it

I also got some great comedy LPs, including Rutland Weekend Songbook which has a 6 degrees of separation sort of Beach Boys connection. Plus a copy of The King In Yellow in paperback to feed the thing I'm currently obsessed with - although I'll wait until after the finale tonight to start reading it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »

Hans Zimmer recently said it was one of his favorite scores...I can easily see (hear) why.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »

Yesterday I bought the Beach Boys Party!/Stack-O-Tracks two-fer.

I also ordered online last week:
TWGMTR
In Concert
15 Big Ones/Love You
Keepin The Summer Alive/The Beach Boys 85

I hope they arrive next week.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2014, 04:44:37 AM »

Made a real bargain on ebay for my favourite KISS LP

Looks rough on the outside but the vinyl itself is in top condition. 3D

halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:17:35 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:57 AM »

Its a pain alright. Even the ones that claim to use the Goldmine guide to grading sell vg records that are fair at best. Some sellers of course actually do sell vg as vg but its always a risk.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 04:11:54 AM »

Made a real bargain on ebay for my favourite KISS LP

Looks rough on the outside but the vinyl itself is in top condition. 3D

Love the cover!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »

Emitt Rhodes - Recordings [1969-1973]
The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers
Dr. John - Gris-Gris
Al Green - Call Me
Loudon Wainwright III - Unrequited
Gene Clark - Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers
Hank Williams - Alone with His Guitar

Quite happy with today's purchases. Had to leave Let's Active, the Beau Brummels, and the Flying Burrito Brothers behind, though.  Cry
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:33 AM »

Surf's Up LP - Original issue with poster, also looks untouched. I hadn't picked this up before because I knew I would be able to find a cheaper copy then what some of the record stores that cater to collectors wanted for it. I paid $6.99 for this copy. Patience pays off.

Boo-yah, Mrs Hart! Any significant inscriptions in the deadwax of that baby to report, ie, "Thanks Marilyn"?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »

Nope, first thing I looked for when I got home
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »

Today I received a message from a seller on Discogs apologizing for the inconvenience since I ordered a record over three weeks ago which never shipped. The issue was resolved recently and they plan to ship it tomorrow and offered to throw another record in for free. In a week or so I'll receive Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel and Soul & Inspiration by The Righteous Brothers.

Also I'm still waiting to hear from another seller I ordered the album Insight Out by The Association from, who said last week that they will check to see the post office to see what's going on since the record should have arrived weeks ago.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »

so here is the list for today:

LP: John Hartford,Housing Project
LP: John Hartford,Gentle on my Mind & Other Originals

MBW, your purchases from Jan. 27 were ALL cool, but ESPECIALLY these two!  I have all the original RCA John Hartford LPs and they are pretty darned amazing!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »

so here is the list for today:

LP: John Hartford,Housing Project
LP: John Hartford,Gentle on my Mind & Other Originals

MBW, your purchases from Jan. 27 were ALL cool, but ESPECIALLY these two!  I have all the original RCA John Hartford LPs and they are pretty darned amazing!

Absolutely, trying to get all the lps myself too. I have since got "the love album" and "1969" so getting there. Got outbid on "Iron Mountain Depot" last week on Ebay. BTW I just recently started a JH thread here - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17407.0.html

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »

Nope, first thing I looked for when I got home
Cry Ah well, still a great score for a measly $7!!!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »

Boo-yah, Mrs Hart! Any significant inscriptions in the deadwax of that baby to report, ie, "Thanks Marilyn"?

I just bought a first, U.S. press of Surf's Up and it has "Thanks Marilyn" written in the dead wax. Is this significant?

I also recently bought the three-CD version of Village Green Preservation Society, a Dream Syndicate live album, both reissues of The Dukes of Stratosphear, and the polarity corrected version of Skylarking by XTC.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:20:14 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »

Wasn't exactly today, but at a flea market in Japan, I got Mick Taylor's first solo album on CD. Will listen to it when I get back from my holiday tomorrow.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »

Saw that iTunes was selling selected albums by The Who for only 5.99 each so I bought the only four Who studio albums I still didn't own; A Quick One, Odds & Sods, Face Dances, and It's Hard.  I'm finding I really like Face Dances the best of them if you can believe it, even better than the two Moon era albums.

musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »

Went to a Goodwill store and got Fleetwood Mac's 1975 self titled album and Album 1700 by Peter, Paul, and Mary

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

I just bought a first, U.S. press of Surf's Up and it has "Thanks Marilyn" written in the dead wax. Is this significant?

I also recently bought the three-CD version of Village Green Preservation Society, a Dream Syndicate live album, both reissues of The Dukes of Stratosphear, and the polarity corrected version of Skylarking by XTC.

i love the mono mix of Village Green on the deluxe edition. Far superior to the familiar stereo version
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »

To begin with, I'm a 3-years collector of music boxes. Mostly the melodies are of Russian folk songs. The oldest (about 25 years old) that I found in my basement is wooden & represents the Khokhloma painting. So, this one plays the melody of famous "Podmoskovnye vechera" which used to be the symbol of our country abroad. Today was different: I bought the music box that when you spin it around, plays the pokemon theme (remember that anime? It's the only I liked).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2014, 02:54:27 AM »

To begin with, I'm a 3-years collector of music boxes. Mostly the melodies are of Russian folk songs. The oldest (about 25 years old) that I found in my basement is wooden & represents the Khokhloma painting. So, this one plays the melody of famous "Podmoskovnye vechera" which used to be the symbol of our country abroad. Today was different: I bought the music box that when you spin it around, plays the pokemon theme (remember that anime? It's the only I liked).
Most interesting. Now and again I identify songs for people on YouTube (or try to) and very often it's the melody of a music box that they'd like identified. Sometimes the tune misses out notes or accentuates them differently, maybe because the mechanism is worn. Or the tune is played very fast or very slow... A most enjoyable occupation. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2014, 05:43:13 AM »

Most interesting. Now and again I identify songs for people on YouTube (or try to) and very often it's the melody of a music box that they'd like identified. Sometimes the tune misses out notes or accentuates them differently, maybe because the mechanism is worn. Or the tune is played very fast or very slow... A most enjoyable occupation. 
Wow, that's cool! Thanks for giving me idea, now I'm going to seek after unheard melodies. Btw, I like when a music box sounds slightly off & detuned. It gives very nice vintage effect, if not little creepy.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

Thanks for giving me idea, now I'm going to seek after unheard melodies.

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »

You left out the crucial tag "therefore, ye soft pipes, play on". Check your facts before posting, Mr. Waves.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx