gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:00:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "What Music Did You Buy Today?" Thread  (Read 47488 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

A good month after I bought it, my Currents record has finally arrived in my apartment. "Let it Happen" has never sounded so good.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »

Never listened to them, but, hey, might as well give it a go.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »

Enjoy your visit to my adolescence!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

Your adolescence is pretty cool.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2016, 08:39:44 PM »

Your adolescence is pretty cool.
It had its moments Smiley
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »

i got stressed and impulsively bought music today...... dunnowhatimdoin

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »

The packaging for both of these albums (on vinyl) are amazing. The insert for the Fleet Foxes has a beautifully written essay of sorts recalling his memories of listening to the Beach Boys when he was younger, and how music is one of the purest forms of memories. This was also mentioned in another thread by another user.
Also, the Protomartyr album comes with a huge poster and a little lyric booklet thing.

My coworker also gave me this CD today. Preparing for music festival season...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:13:31 AM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »

The floodgates have cracked and tumbled.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:28:25 AM by Bubs » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »

I was absolutely thrilled to find an early Alex Chilton album. It was an original, German issue from Line Records for only $9.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:28:58 PM by Bubs » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2016, 03:50:46 AM »

I was absolutely thrilled to find an early Alex Chilton album. It was an original, German issue from Line Records for only $9.

Cool, I have a lot of those...all seem to be pressed on white vinyl. Which one was it?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »

Cool, I have a lot of those...all seem to be pressed on white vinyl. Which one was it?

It was Bach's Bottom. In my experience, his albums (other than A Man Called Destruction) are quite difficult to find in the US, although I imagine it's easier in Germany where his albums were actually printed and distributed at various times.

The world needs a Chilton box set.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »

I think Bach's Bottom is a great album. Love it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »

It was Bach's Bottom. In my experience, his albums (other than A Man Called Destruction) are quite difficult to find in the US, although I imagine it's easier in Germany where his albums were actually printed and distributed at various times.

The world needs a Chilton box set.

Yeah, plenty of Chilton records available in Germany. I think I have all the vinyl lps except "Loose shoes & tight p*ssy". Still need to find a few of of the singles/eps though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:52:29 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »

Friendly reminder that Record Store Day is this Saturday Grin

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2016, 05:42:24 PM »

I think Bach's Bottom is a great album. Love it.

This album is so much fun.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »

Well, I finally got some money I've been waiting months for, and I immediately bought three Flying Nun releases.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »

Upset that this the download code for Mac's album isn't working.........

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

Might have gone overboard this week... meh. I also don't know if I have a CD reader available, so I don't know when I get to listen to these Sad. I need to order stuff on Amazon anyway, though.

Protomartyr's Under Color of Official Right: Finally own this now. I love the packaging of their albums (in vinyl format, anyway). What a fun band.

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk: I've linked the song that I like right here, "Never Make Me Cry." I might have given my vinyl copy of this away or something... at any rate, I've listened to this album all the way through at least once and I'd love to do it again. Anyway, I got this used 2-CD bonus edition with demos 'n' stuff. There's a cover of our Boys' own "Farmer's Daughter" on here, I have just realized.

Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds: I have no idea what this will sound like.* Pretty album cover though, right? I'm just streaming this on Spotify for the time being. I guess it's also some sort of soundtrack.
*I'm listening and I now know what I'm getting into.

Mac Demarco's Demos. Vol 1: I get a kick out of reading the little CD booklet for this. I just love how he does not give a f*ck about anything. Some of the stuff is instrumental so that you can get lost in all of his analogue-tapey-dreamy-guitar-ness.

I also bought Coltrane's My Favorite Things and the Kinks' Something Else; I'm too tired and lazy to give fancy descriptions for those now.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2016, 10:51:01 PM »

I have recently purchased Protomartyr's first album, No Passion All Technique.

I am really enjoying this.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »

Hey, M. Your visit is most encouraging. And most welcome.

I listened to that entire album on YouTube a while back during my Protomartyr Period (thanks to you and Bubs) and enjoyed every minute. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »

Hey, M. Your visit is most encouraging. And most welcome.

I listened to that entire album on YouTube a while back during my Protomartyr Period (thanks to you and Bubs) and enjoyed every minute. :=)
Yeah, I don't know why I waited this long to buy it. It's most wonderful. I think Under Color of Official Right is my favorite amongst the three, but they're all good. Glad to know you enjoy them as well! It seems that you enjoyed fellow Hardly Art-ists, Chastity Belt.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why I waited this long to buy it. It's most wonderful. I think Under Color of Official Right is my favorite amongst the three, but they're all good. Glad to know you enjoy them as well! It seems that you enjoyed fellow Hardly Art-ists, Chastity Belt.

CB's album is second on my listening list. First up is Demon Days by Gorillaz. I've been checking out various Blur side projects under the expert guidance of fellow Smiley poster Cool Cool Water. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx