gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:40:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian recording 1/23 with Matt Jardine  (Read 15185 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

Guys like Christian Love and Matt Jardine bewilder me. Why would they spend their lives performing covers of their fathers' hits?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »

Guys like Christian Love and Matt Jardine bewilder me. Why would they spend their lives performing covers of their fathers' hits?

What else can they do?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »

Performing music, no matter whose it is, is a much better living that working 9-5 at a desk every day.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

"Who would lead the band?"  I've often wondered what the other guys think of Jeff always raising his hand to finish a song.  I think those guys probably know where the song finishes.  It always seems a pit patronising to me when this happens.
Exactly! But the worst of it came during the 2012 tour, because he stifled Brian's singing. Remember that show where Brian sang the high part of the second verse of  Good Vibrations? He was nailing it, but stopped when he realized that it was Jeff's "job". That, ladies and gentlemen, is why Brian doesn't sing real high notes anymore. I think he's being told not to.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »

But there are times when he can't hit the high notes so I guess Jeff is his back up. While I don't claim to understand how the human voice works, Brian really got it going as the C50 progressed, maybe due to the fact he was doing so many concerts. Trouble is, the formula already is in place for Jeff to cover him as I suppose you never know if he is going to give out. Mike is another who gets better as the touring season goes on.

I was at the Sydney PS show where he started a song (can't remember which) and I just knew he was struggling. He had to stop about a third way through and start again.  Another song Brian was again struggling (may have been GV) Brian gave a quick hand gesture to Jeff, who then covered a complete verse. Jeff is ready to cover those moments.
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »

Hello all,
I thought I should post & clarify some points here. Got a call from BW management asking me if I was available to sing in the studio with Brian. I spent the past 3 days putting down lead & backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes. Hopefully they'll keep some of my work but I do know others will sing over what I put down. They're fleshing out new tunes & they are very good, catchy songs. You will be thrilled & surprised. Scott was in for a day working on a tune & it was Brian, Blondie & me the other two days. This is studio work folks & apparently Jeff was not available for this little stretch. It happens & is not a big deal. Brian sang really well, better than I've heard him sing in awhile, was in good spirits & he was assigning me parts on the fly while I was in the vocal booth. Blondie sounds absolutely amazing &, strangely enough, we have a great vocal blend together. It was a very positive experience overall. I believe Dad, aka Al, will be in the studio with Brian in Feb fyi.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »

OK, maybe I've enjoyed a few too many Jack Daniels this evening to post this, but yes, for sure the next album will be by "The Beach Boys" and will feature the vocals of not only Jeffrey Foskett but also Mathew Jardine, both of whose vocals will be indispensable to a 2014 or 2015 BBs project.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »

Holy hell! Talk about a guy on this message board and the real deal might actually turn up!  Grin

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »

Can't wait to hear these songs.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

Damn, I'm getting excited. Thanks for posting, Matt.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 12:30:37 AM »

OK, maybe I've enjoyed a few too many Jack Daniels this evening to post this, but yes, for sure the next album will be by "The Beach Boys" and will feature the vocals of not only Jeffrey Foskett but also Mathew Jardine, both of whose vocals will be indispensable to a 2014 or 2015 BBs project.

It does seem to look that way, doesn't it?  Grin Would it really be asking to much to have a Mike and Bruce "cameo" appearance? Just enough to be able to call it a Beach Boys album.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »

It does seem to look that way, doesn't it?  Grin Would it really be asking to much to have a Mike and Bruce "cameo" appearance? Just enough to be able to call it a Beach Boys album.

No indication in this thread or the BW album thread of any involvement by Mike and Bruce or any plans for the future. Have I missed something?

We have a lot of vocalists and Jeff Beck. I'm calling it closer to GIOMH 2 over a Beach Boys album and I mean that in similarities rather than quality at this early stage. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:40:30 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2014, 12:41:37 AM »

It does seem to look that way, doesn't it?  Grin Would it really be asking to much to have a Mike and Bruce "cameo" appearance? Just enough to be able to call it a Beach Boys album.

No indication in this thread or the BW album thread of any involvement by Mike and Bruce or any plans for the future. Have I missed something?

There also was no indication that Brian was down for a reunion the first time around. All of this could easily be a set up for a new Beach Boys album.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47:07 AM »

Ok then. We'll see I guess.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »

If so, then the last year or so has been the best trolling by anybody, ever.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »

There also was no indication that Brian was down for a reunion the first time around. All of this could easily be a set up for a new Beach Boys album.

The only real difference in that would be having Mike and Bruce's voices on that album.

Which would be fantastic!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:11 AM »

Performing music, no matter whose it is, is a much better living that working 9-5 at a desk every day.

Or posting 'smartass' comments on a message board.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:18:02 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »

I forget who, might've been Al or Mike who said in an interview "the promoters told us to wait a bit to do another tour / release another album.. to build anticipation"... anyone recall this quote / interview?

Who knows for sure. But they definitely know how to mess with us. I'm hopeful.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »

Mike.

Al was ready to go!

Actually 'Mess With Us' would make a pretty good album title. Mike liking his double meanings and all! LOL
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:25:46 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2014, 02:00:24 AM »

Holy hell! Talk about a guy on this message board and the real deal might actually turn up!  Grin
I know, right?

Now I seriously need to clarify that my comment on the video clip was directed towards that one particular performance , not in general. Lord knows I have videos up where I certainly wasn't in best voice Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2014, 03:18:44 AM »

The only real difference in that would be having Mike and Bruce's voices on that album.

Matt Jardine said, "I spent the last three days putting down lead and backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes." He also said, "They're fleshing out new tunes."

Now, maybe Mike Love is full of crap, I don't know. But, he seems pretty adamant that for a new Beach Boys' album to happen, he wants to collaborate with his cousin Brian on those 8-9 new tunes. Wouldn't calling Mike (and Bruce) in later to put down their vocals - on ALREADY written songs - be exactly what Mike Love DOESN'T want. Wasn't that his major complaint with TWGMTR? Unless you are saying that Brain and Mike had secret writing sessions in composing the aforementioned 8-9 new tracks...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 03:41:51 AM »

Matt Jardine said, "I spent the last three days putting down lead and backing guide vocals on 8-9 tunes." He also said, "They're fleshing out new tunes."

Now, maybe Mike Love is full of crap, I don't know. But, he seems pretty adamant that for a new Beach Boys' album to happen, he wants to collaborate with his cousin Brian on those 8-9 new tunes. Wouldn't calling Mike (and Bruce) in later to put down their vocals - on ALREADY written songs - be exactly what Mike Love DOESN'T want. Wasn't that his major complaint with TWGMTR? Unless you are saying that Brain and Mike had secret writing sessions in composing the aforementioned 8-9 new tracks...

Good point. But I think that would be the scenario that I would enjoy the most.

My least favorite moments of TWGMTR were usually the bits that Mike seems to have been responsible for writing. But, his voice sounds great in the harmony blend. The moment at the of From There and Back Again when he starts the "bababa" line is perfect, in part due to his voice. Same goes for Bruce's singing.

To me, the situation you mentioned Mike not being part of would be best. There's probably no way that Mike will be around for this record though  Sad

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »

Great to hear from you Matt! Smiley. And it's proves again that BRI and family members look at this board every so often.  And reinforces the need to be respectful when expressing an opinion.

Regarding falsetto, I always liked Jeff's but since Matt started touring with the band back in the day I've preferred his.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »

Good point. But I think that would be the scenario that I would enjoy the most.

My least favorite moments of TWGMTR were usually the bits that Mike seems to have been responsible for writing. But, his voice sounds great in the harmony blend. The moment at the of From There and Back Again when he starts the "bababa" line is perfect, in part due to his voice. Same goes for Bruce's singing.

To me, the situation you mentioned Mike not being part of would be best. There's probably no way that Mike will be around for this record though  Sad

I feel the same way. However, I think that had Mike and Brian been able to write together the quality of his lyrics would've improved. He was handed basically finished backing tracks and told to write lyrics for them - very inspiring. It's unreal that, arguably, two of the greatest songwriters of the 60s (who are in the same band, no less) couldn't even write one damn song together for an album.

If Mike and Brian were to get together for a day, listen to the Four Freshmen and Phil Specter for a few hours, and start jamming on the piano, I bet they could come up with a couple great tunes.

That being said, I'm glad Brian is doing his own thing. Not everything he does needs a Beach Boys label on it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »

Maybe Mike just reflects whatever the music is like. On Today! his lyrics are perfect for the music, and that is usually the case when he adds lyrics after Brian starts a song. So maybe the circumstances just haven't really been right since Brian started collaborating with people other than Mike.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx