gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:19:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian recording 1/23 with Matt Jardine  (Read 15187 times)
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 06:47:19 AM »

Call me a dreamer but what I would really like to hear is Mr. Brian Douglas Wilson do a falsetto or two.
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »

Call me a dreamer but what I would really like to hear is Mr. Brian Douglas Wilson do a falsetto or two.

You're a dreamer....(but so would I!)

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »

This is really, really good news. Matt's falsetto is worlds upon worlds more fitting for Brian's work than Jeff's (sorry).

Yes.

Make it an official Beach Boys project already.

YES.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »

"Who would lead the band?"  I've often wondered what the other guys think of Jeff always raising his hand to finish a song.  I think those guys probably know where the song finishes.  It always seems a pit patronising to me when this happens.

I still think Jeff does a good job helping Brian out on stage when he stops singing and stuff.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »

You're a dreamer....(but so would I!)

Me too!

Nothing against Jeff Foskett; I think he does a good job on falsetto, especially live. But, every time a part comes on the That's Why God Made The Radio album that requires a falsetto, and then Jeff comes in, I go "Nooooooooooo!!!!!". It is very disappointing. I would've liked to have heard Brian do a couple of takes/tries, have Joe Thomas pick the best take, and then (cough) work his magic to make it sound acceptable. It's a bit of a letdown to hear Jeff so prominent in the mix, because it feels like Brian is just sitting back, playing it safe, not even trying. That is especially evident in live performances, but I can understand that. If Brian did the falsetto part live, it would be a train wreck and embarrass him. The recording studio is a different situation, though.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »

As much as I perfer Jeff OVER Matt (partially due to nostalgia), I'm still a big fan Matt and am glad to see him involved.  Of course the best part of this is it shows Brian using as much of the Beach Boys crew as possible.  I'd LOVE for Ricky to make an appearance on the CD too, as well as Billy and Ed!

Then... why not just use The Beach Boys ? Maybe just I'm getting old and (even more) cynical but it's beginning to look like there's an increasing degree of nose-thumbing going on here.

He's said he wanted to.  He was looking forward to the next album but if Mike won't budge in regards to the writing situation (which is certainly his right), Brian can only do the "next best thing".  Believe me.  I wish they were all together again.  I REALLY liked the last album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »

I'm glad that Brian is in the studio recording again. And I'm glad he's getting picky and involved in the selection of his musicians/singers. It's a bummer that Mike and Bruce won't be on the record (because damn Bruce's vocals were great on TWGMTR), but it is what it is.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »

"Who would lead the band?"  I've often wondered what the other guys think of Jeff always raising his hand to finish a song.  I think those guys probably know where the song finishes.  It always seems a pit patronising to me when this happens.

I still think Jeff does a good job helping Brian out on stage when he stops singing and stuff.

Jeff hasn't led the band in at least a decade, IIRC.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

If I ever win big on the lottery, one of the first things I'd do is put Thomas on a personal monthly retainer of $XXX,XXX, the first (and only) clause of which would be, "never, ever record, mix or produce another record involving Brian Douglas Wilson".

It's not really those things that are the issues with JT, though, are they? I mean, you found TWGMTR pretty darn excellent, right?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

I thought Thomas’ studio production/sound was much more subdued on “Radio” compared to “Imagination.” His odd “Recorded by” credit on “Radio” is a smokescreen; he certainly served as a de facto co-producer at least. “Radio” still had some Thomas touches I don’t care for (overuse of woodwinds, that friggin’ oboe/clarinet sound he sticks on a lot of his stuff; although Brian has overused woodwinds in my opinion in the last decade without Thomas as well), and his reliance on autotune is not unique to him, but still very annoying. The use of autotune is the only major problem with the 50th live album, but it’s a big problem. It’s really weird too, because Thomas does the “Soundstage” PBS shows and they usually sound pretty good.

I don’t understand the “Brian should get all the Beach Boys singing on this album” thing; Brian and Al clearly wanted to do another BB album and tour after the 50th tour. Mike clearly is no longer willing to do the Pet Sounds-style formula of coming in to sing an album full of stuff Brian wrote with some other co-writer. I don’t think Mike would feel differently if the collaborator was Jeff Beck or Scott Bennett instead of Joe Thomas or Tony Asher.

I guess I kind of wish they would have been more alerted to Mike’s getting stuck so much on wanting a BB album to feature Love/Wilson co-writes (assuming Mike isn’t just using that complaint about “Radio” as an excuse to not do more reunion activities because he doesn’t like that financial/power structure), and just placated Mike enough to wring another BB album out of the group, because I think another album could have been (and could be) pretty good.

Back to Thomas. He isn’t the guy I’d pick to be involved, but I refer back to Howie Edelson’s post some time back. Thomas was the nearest to a Neil Aspinall-type the group have had any time in the last few decades, and he had the money and organizational skills to get a studio album, live world tour, a TV special and two DVDs/Blu-rays, all out within the span of a year. Maybe Mike soured on the guy by the end of the tour, but Thomas aided in getting more done than most have with this band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »

As for Matt Jardine, I’m glad to see him recording with Brian (with hopefully Al in there at some stage too). Matt did at least one gig with Brian solo back in 1998. Brian clearly knows Matt is a solid singer to go to.

I don’t think Matt appearing at some sessions has anything to do with Foskett. We don’t even know for sure that Matt’s vocal work entails any falsetto work. He’s a good harmony (and lead) singer in general.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:52:22 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »

Matt recording with Brian now?  not much of a surprise, really, When you think about it, Brian fills the room with vocalists that he's comfortable with, and after spending time with Al, has not doubt remembered Matt's fine voice in the mix of the 80's/90's  material. Likely, Brian asked Al if he thought Matt would come down at some point when Al was in studio before Christmas and thats all it took....   Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

per Matt's facebook he is in LA recording vocals for 3 days with Brian, Blondie and Scott Bennett
I am more excited to hear Blondie is still recording with Brian.

And I lean more to Matt's falsetto than Jeffs'. From the You Tube clips I watched from Brian's Beck tour, I found Jeff's falsetto on "Old Man River" a bit hard on my ears.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »

Is there evidence on YouTube to suggest Matt still has his 80s/90s falsetto chops?
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »

Can someone block the road so Joe Thomas doesn't reach his mixing appointments?

AMEN!! 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »

Is there evidence on YouTube to suggest Matt still has his 80s/90s falsetto chops?

I actually think there's evidence to the contrary -- his falsetto is thinner these days.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »

Is there evidence to support anyone involved with this band, official, touring member etc. has the vocal chops they had 30 years ago?

inb4 Al Jardine, he's a freak of nature. AL DOESN'T COUNT (literally, his math skills are terrible).

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »

I actually think there's evidence to the contrary -- his falsetto is thinner these days.

It is thinner and not as good as it was in the 80's and 90's (listen to the Red Barn Rehearsals, Paramount Theatre, and Unplugged from '93). As you get older, it's expected to be thinner.  To me, these two vids aren't that hot - not nearly as good as the versions of Hushabye, Surfer Girl, In My Room, Hawaii, and Add Some Music he use to sing with the Beach Boys in the 90's.  Little too nasally for my tastes - especially Don't Worry Baby here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yoEEN0tBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDo8tyLStvQ

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »

Ouch...that's Adrian Baker levels right there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »

Ouch...that's Adrian Baker levels right there.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.  Low blow, Billy.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

LOL

Okay, maybe it's an exaggeration, but that was definitely too nasal.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »

He sounds good and kinda Brian-esque on In My Room. I'd imagine double tracked in the studio he'd still sound awesome.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »

Nice acoustic  variations  of BB songs..  Some added chords for spice on In My Room.. Good stuff.. Lip sync I think also.. WHAT IF..?? BB had done a bunch of stuff like this instead of Stars + Stripes.. No guests just BB and and a studio band pop//jazz players..  I think it would have been more successful  than Stars + Stripes..
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »

Is there evidence to support anyone involved with this band, official, touring member etc. has the vocal chops they had 30 years ago?

inb4 Al Jardine, he's a freak of nature. AL DOESN'T COUNT (literally, his math skills are terrible).

Other than Al, no. But folks in this thread were talking like Matt's falsetto would be a giant improvement over Jeff's, which probably isn't true.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »

This is really exciting! It seems like this record is going to be more Beach Boy than the last one.

Can't wait for some real details to come out on what kind of record this is going to be.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx