gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:02:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #19 WINNER: BREAKAWAY!!  (Read 54334 times)
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »

Breakaway, and it's not close for me. I would have entitled Brian's upcoming biopic Breakaway, not Love and Mercy, I think the song is pitch perfect and I just love the sentiment it is expressing. Definitely the best thing Murry had any hand in creating!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2014, 01:51:54 AM »

I don't know.  I think all three of his sons were even better! Smiley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »

Wouldn't Be Nice To Live Again.
It carries a weight to it the other two do not. A very special song to me.

Sorry Break Away. Love the song, but the outro doesn't have the warmth that I think it needs to feel conclusive.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »

Tally in about 4 1/2 hours.  Grin
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:04 AM »

Shocked When I told my wife about this round with WIBNTLA and Breakaway in the finals and that I voted Breakaway she was upset with me and threatened to join the forum and negate my vote.

Of course I said oh too bad, its too late the votes are already closed.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »

Shocked When I told my wife about this round with WIBNTLA and Breakaway in the finals and that I voted Breakaway she was upset with me and threatened to join the forum and negate my vote.

Of course I said oh too bad, its too late the votes are already closed.  Grin

Your wife should join! She's got great taste in music.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »

Breakaway
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 11, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

Your wife should join! She's got great taste in music.

True. But she a bit thin-skinned -- Got burned in some other forums, had her own doll forum for a while also and got burned out being an admin. Everything she knows about Smiley Smile is filtered through me... I have shared some stuff I thought was funny and gotten "that look" back in return.

Anyway, I knew she was jesting about registering here  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 11, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

Big thanks to Fall Breaks for putting together a viable list of songs to vote from. I will quote his disclaimer text:

All songs legally released. Rounds not strictly defined by eras, since I wanted about an album’s length of songs in every round. May or may not work. No guarantee that I haven’t forgot to include some obscure track. You could argue that especially the 1969-1971 “suffers” from having too many strong tracks where only one can win, but then again, only one Pet Sounds track made it to the finals as well. Version specifications have to be made for some tracks, e.g. Can’t Wait Too Long and It’s A Beautiful Day).

So... without further ado....

With 12 votes, Soulful Old Man Sunshine sets for good.

With 13 votes, Dennis' Opus Magnum (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again gains respect.

And the winner of perhaps the most hotly contested round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR is... with 22 votes...

!!!BREAKAWAY!!!

Round#1 - Loop De Loop (w/1998 overdubs) January 24
Round#2 - HELP Is On The Way January 26
Round#3 - 4th Of July January 28
Round#4 - I Just Got My Pay January 29
Round#5 - Where Is She January 31
Round#6 - Games Two Can Play February 3
Round#7 - Cottonfields (single version) February 4
Round#8 - Celebrate the News February 6
Round#9 - San Miguel February 8
Round#10 - Soulful Old Man Sunshine February 11
Round#10 - (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again February 11

New rounds of Survivor to start soon!!!!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #384 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »

I've already accepted that Breakaway won and WIBNTLA lost.

Still deeply shocked and saddened, but looking forward to the next round!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #385 on: February 11, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »

Boooooo!!! Dennis was robbed. I've pretty much agreed with the result of every round before now, but WIBNTLA is just so, so, so much better than Breakaway - I'm actually slightly heartbroken by this result. WIBNTLA is Dennis' Surf's Up.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »

Boooooo!!! Dennis was robbed. I've pretty much agreed with the result of every round before now, but WIBNTLA is just so, so, so much better than Breakaway - I'm actually slightly heartbroken by this result. WIBNTLA is Dennis' Surf's Up.

Every songwriter has their own Surf's Up. Susie Cincinnati is Al's.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 11, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »

.....not even in the same league  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 11, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »

naw, its kona coast  Cool Guy  Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bluesno1fann
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »

Don't agree with either of you. Al's Surf's Up is either Lady Lynda or Don't Fight The Sea. Though neither is in the same league as WIBNTLA and Surf's Up
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »

Don't agree with either of you. Al's Surf's Up is either Lady Lynda or Don't Fight The Sea. Though neither is in the same league as WIBNTLA and Surf's Up

My point was WIBNTLA is close to being the same quality as Surf's Up (or, arguably, equal to) - whereas great as some of Al's songs are (California is his finest hour btw), he's never written anything that comes close. Dennis made it to the top of the mountain however, with WIBNTLA and River Song, possibly Forever.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2014, 06:12:27 AM »

As much as I love Dennis, "wouldn't it be nice to live again" is not in the same league as surfs up. If you know anything about chord analysis, compare the two chord structures. Surf Up is far more complex. If you examine the production and the arrangement, Surf Up possesses subtleties that wouldn't it be nice to live again doesn't even come close to.

That being said, it is among Dennis' best compositions, and an equal to many of Brian's. It is definitely Dennis is best vocal pre-Pacific ocean blue.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: February 13, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »

And the winner of perhaps the most hotly contested round of BEACH BOYS SURVIVOR is... with 22 votes...

!!!BREAKAWAY!!!

COMMENT:

Now that Breakaway has won the contest,  those of you who wish an in-depth look at Breakaway should visit
the Study-Video of this song by its engineer.

The a cappella of the words, the recording details, the sing along section, and other tidbits of info about Breakaway are a click away.

SEE:
http://swdstudyvideos.com  and look for the Breakaway button. 

~Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »

As much as I love Dennis, "wouldn't it be nice to live again" is not in the same league as surfs up. If you know anything about chord analysis, compare the two chord structures. Surf Up is far more complex. If you examine the production and the arrangement, Surf Up possesses subtleties that wouldn't it be nice to live again doesn't even come close to.

That being said, it is among Dennis' best compositions, and an equal to many of Brian's. It is definitely Dennis is best vocal pre-Pacific ocean blue.

This, in a nutshell.

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2014, 07:24:14 AM »

Yes. Check this out. Of all the Desper study videos, this one (to date) is my favorite!

!!!BREAKAWAY!!!

COMMENT:

Now that Breakaway has won the contest,  those of you who wish an in-depth look at Breakaway should visit
the Study-Video of this song by its engineer.

The a cappella of the words, the recording details, the sing along section, and other tidbits of info about Breakaway are a click away.

SEE:
http://swdstudyvideos.com  and look for the Breakaway button. 

~Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

Is a song automatically better because it has a more complex structure and/or more opportunities for chord analysis?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »

Is a song automatically better because it has a more complex structure and/or more opportunities for chord analysis?

Entirely subjective. I do believe the craftmanship is better, yes. That can certainly be quantified. But whether the song is better (and all things abstract which that implies) is purely personal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:48:52 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »

Entirely subjective. I do believe the craftmanship is better, yes. That can certainly be quantified. But whether the song is better (and all things abstract which that implies) is purely personal.

I've learned the melody to Surf's Up on guitar, and oh my god it was difficult. The melody might not sound like it would be very hard to play, but there are so many twists and turns that I didn't notice. Took me ages to get the whole thing down.

In terms of craftsmanship, Surf's Up is one of the most impressive pop songs ever made.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »

I've learned the melody to Surf's Up on guitar, and oh my god it was difficult. The melody might not sound like it would be very hard to play, but there are so many twists and turns that I didn't notice. Took me ages to get the whole thing down.

In terms of craftsmanship, Surf's Up is one of the most impressive pop songs ever made.

This is true. In fact it's arguably the greatest song the Beach Boys ever made which, considering they're the greatest band of all time, means it could even be said it's the greatest pop song ever, period.

However, I stand by what i said: a song isn't automatically superior to another song just because it has a more complex arrangement. Look at Til I Die - certainly in comparison to Surf's Up at least it's fairly un-complex, but I can think of few songs that are so f**king damn good!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »

Its surf's up, man..... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx