gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:21:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you ever embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 37433 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:15 PM by zatch » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »

I had a conversation about the Beach Boys with a few girls in one of my classes. I told them they were my favorite band.

One girl simply said "409" while another girl said "Ooh, you know what song I really like by them? 'Barbara Ann.'"
At which point the conversation literally ended with an a cappella version of "Barbara Ann" by the three girls surrounding me.

I'm not sure if I was embarrassed, but I was struck by how stereotypical that conversation was.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:59:54 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »

You sound like a lot of fun to be around.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »

Bands who change their name without actually breaking up and then disown their older material make me want to heave.

I think I basically agree with that. But who is there that did that? My brain's not workin' right now, so I can't think of any besides Jefferson Airplane.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »

I think it's a little ridiculous to get so invested in a band that you actually get upset about them changing their name and disowning their earlier material? It's not like Surrealistic Pillow is in any way diminished by "We Built This City", just like how nobody really cares that "Hey Little Tomboy" is the same band that did Pet Sounds. And I say this as someone who really likes music a lot...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2014, 05:26:55 AM »

No.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »

I know I shouldnt but it happens sometimes...my friends dont really get my taste in music.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »

I had a conversation about the Beach Boys with a few girls in one of my classes. I told them they were my favorite band.

One girl simply said "409" while another girl said "Ooh, you know what song I really like by them? 'Barbara Ann.'"
At which point the conversation literally ended with an a Capella version of "Barbara Ann" by the three girls surrounding me.

I'm not sure if I was embarrassed, but I was struck by how stereotypical that conversation was.

Hey, at least the girls are giving you some time. Sounds like a promising opener!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »

Now and then people think I should be embarrassed - but I'm not. I guess that sums it up best. God knows I've converted enough of them eventually.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

Hi all,

No, I have never been embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan.  I will always hold my head high.  People might act confused or belittle.  The latter is the other person's problem.  I like the singers I like.  If people in town don't like it that is their problem.  If you like the BB and hold your head high things will be fine.  I won't change my likes to appease someone in town.  Do that once for one thing you might have to do that forever about everything. 
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

Have I ever been embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan? Hell no! I'm not even embarrassed about having a foot fetish.  Razz
One of my best friends since high school viciously scoffs at the Beach Boys and will not give them a chance...and I even have played him their 'deeper' early 70s material like Til I Die and Long Promised Road and he still scoffs at it like it was "What's A Young Girl Made Of" just because the name on the label reads "The Beach Boys".
I'm not embarrassed that Beach Boys '85 is an all-time favorite album of mine and on some days it's the only Beach Boys album I play.
I'm not embarrassed that I like about 5 songs on the Summer In Paradise album and I still play my cassette of it on my Walkman when I go for my walks and take it in the car with me.
I'm not embarrassed that I like 5 songs from the Keeping The Summer Alive album.
I'm not embarrassed that I hold Todd Rundgren, Three Dog Night, and Uriah Heep in as much esteem as The Beatles.
Life is too short to not do something just because other people don't think it's cool......Hey, guys, "Crazy Horses" by The Osmonds is one of the greatest, most exciting 'heavy rock' tracks of the 70s as far as I'm concerned.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »

Hey, guys, "Crazy Horses" by The Osmonds is one of the greatest, most exciting 'heavy rock' tracks of the 70s as far as I'm concerned.

omg that song
halblaineisgood
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:04:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2014, 04:17:27 AM »

... just because the name on the label reads "The Beach Boys".
This is a trick I've often used to make my friends listen to The Beach Boys.
Without mentioning who is singing one particular beach boys song, people maybe will like it or not, but since you mention the words "beach boys" their faces immediately change.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »

This thread is fascinating. To my knowledge, since hearing The BBs for the 1st time in Dec. 2010, I've never been embarrassed of this fandom. More so, whenever someone starts talking about sth., I always find the fitting BBs reference & tell the stories about Brian, Al, Carl, Dennis etc., show them photos of them from various years, point out who is who, even though they're obviously not interested in it at all. In other words, I'm like a leech when it comes to The BBs, only worse, people really get tire of my stories & find whatever ridiculous excuse to avoid the conversation or go to the corridor. And you know what? I don't care; if they don't want to be friends with me anymore because of that - bye-bye & so long. Granted, I've got lots of friends here on this board, distance doesn't matter.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:54 AM »

Let's turn this around a tad - have The Beach Boys ever been embarrassed by their fans ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »

End of thread..      Or do you think Brian, Mike, Al or Brooth will post ?!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2014, 03:31:14 AM »

At which point the conversation literally ended with an a Capella version of "Barbara Ann" by the three girls surrounding me.

haha!

This is when I could get embarrassed. I love several of the early songs but 409 and Barbara Ann ain't among them. When Kokomo shows up I also let my chin slip...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »

I'm never embarrassed, but I get the impression sometimes that the other party is. Might the name have something to do with it? Makes you wonder what the Boys felt deep down when they discovered that they'd been renamed...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2014, 06:53:44 AM »

Let's turn this around a tad - have The Beach Boys ever been embarrassed by their fans ?

Not as long as fans are shelling out money for endless compilation albums!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »

Nah, I'm not embarrassed to be a fan.  No matter how much crap they've put out in their checkered career, their finest work speaks for itself.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

Only if someone mentions Mike and Bruce and then they want an explanation.

Or if Mike makes a big stink about something.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:16:29 PM by zatch » Logged
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »

I gave a copy of Pet Sounds to a young friend of mine recently.  He plays in a band and has got a really cool taste in music - played Be My Baby in his mix last time he was staying wiith us.  I told him in many people's opinion PS was the greatest album ever made.  He seemed grateful, but then my sons immediately played him the Party version of The Times They are a Changing and they all fell about pissing themselves with laughter and quoting the cheesiness of 'Let's do a protest song!'. I wanted to say 'That  bought them time to make Pet Sounds.'  I wanted to cite The Laughing Gnome, Revolution Nine, The Frog Chorus and other respected musicians' low spots. I felt a mixture of fury, bafflement, protectiveness and yes, some kind of embarrassment because these idiots DIDN'T GET IT.  Then the boy's father told me I had to watch a hilarious Youtube  shred of the Beach Boys singing I get Around.  First time I'd heard of the term, and mercifully they had to leave before they found it on my computer because I'd certainly have got over-defensive and sparked a major argument if I'd seen it with them. When you've just taken the trouble to pass on something special and everyone just rips the sh*t out of it, it's not a good feeling. That was the first time I've ever felt embarrassment, and I wish I hadn''t.  Their loss.  My privilege. 
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »

You have to figure the band may tire of the "meat and potatoes" crowds. This was certainly true in the early 70's when some fans could not or would not listen to the wonderful new material from Surf's Up and Holland.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:44:35 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx