gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you ever embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan?  (Read 37419 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »

Never ever embarrassed. Put upon, yes, in the Woodstock era (1969 to mid '71), but never embarrassed, abashed, half-assed, or ashamed. If I didn't fold up as an embattled teenager, I'm sure as heck not going to do so now!!  Smokin
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »

The only time I've been truly, truly embarrassed to be a BB fan was when I had to walk into my local record store - where they knew me well - and ask them to order a Julio Iglesias 45. The resultant hilarity was loud and prolonged.

LOL

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

1968-69-70 it was rough being a BB fan.. Then Surfs Up came out and all is right with the world..
Truer words were never spoken.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »

No.

These albums: Friends, Smiley Smile, Sunflower and 20/20 are the foundation of all and I mean ALL "indie" music today.

Why would anyone be embarrassed to be a fan of genius?  GEEZ!

The vast majority of "indie kids" dismiss The Beach Boys. I honestly haven't met one person my age who listens to them (early 20s).

Funny! Because all the music they listen to is done by artists that treasure Brian
Gabo,  You have Got to get some new "indie" friends.
And as I said in the mainstream thread, go buy one of the later, 2007-2013 Iron and Wine albums.  Any of them will show you how an indie artist, Sam Beam, is influenced by Brian.
I would also add Pet Sounds and Love You to the foundation of influence-ization.  And at least "How She Boogalooed It" from Wild Honey.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:14:58 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »

In my early college years (97-98) I remember putting the endless harmony doc on the TV at a house party and loads of people taking the piss out of it (mainly cos of Mikes dancing I think). Most people were fanatical about the Doors, Dylan, Led Zep etc but really know nothing about the Beach Boys BUT this was before so so many indie bands start referencing them as an influence so I think that these days there would a lot more people clued in to the bands legacy.

On another note, around that time I went to a fancy dress party where there were a bunch of guys in Hawaii shirts who came as the Beach Boys. I asked one of them which one was Brian Wilson and his response was "Who's Brian Wilson?"

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »

But we all know the reason for the band's embarrassing image, Mike, Bruce and Capitol Records aside.

DAMN YOU, ENDLESS SUMMER!!!

Have you read the post-Surf's Up portion of Ian's and Jon's book? The audience was mostly angry because they didn't play the old hits. After the success of Endless Summer, their image didn't change, but the band gave in after that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

On another note, around that time I went to a fancy dress party where there were a bunch of guys in Hawaii shirts who came as the Beach Boys. I asked one of them which one was Brian Wilson and his response was "Who's Brian Wilson?"

I like to take anecdotes like this one, and stuff from my own experiences, and extrapolate them to other areas to help me realize that most people are gulity of thinking like this when it comes to nearly everything -- that is, forming an opinion of, characterizing, ridiculing, parodying, dismissing, etc. things they know nothing about.

On another note, i'm still trying to figure out why i can't tolerate so-called relevant indie bands who wear their Beach Boys (read: Brian Wilson, and read further: Pet Sounds) influence on their sleeve. I get so completely turned off by that sound that results from a modern/recontextualized BB influence. Every time i check that stuff out, i find nothing appealing and very little to absolutely no trace of the same magic that made the BB so special.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

But we all know the reason for the band's embarrassing image, Mike, Bruce and Capitol Records aside.

DAMN YOU, ENDLESS SUMMER!!!

Have you read the post-Surf's Up portion of Ian's and Jon's book? The audience was mostly angry because they didn't play the old hits. After the success of Endless Summer, their image didn't change, but the band gave in after that.

Actually, I've never read any of their books, much as I'd love to.
But what I do know is The Beach Boys In Concert is one hell of an album  Rock! Rock! Rock!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »

I'm just embarrassed in general.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »

I'm never ashamed of the Beach Boys. If you don't like Surfin' USA, I'm embarrassed for you, not myself. Hell, I'll proudly play Kokomo, too. There's a video of a CBC interview of Brian, and at one point he puts a hand on his forehead and says to something to the effect, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm not on Kokomo. I'm not on Kokomo!" And he's damn right. It's a great song.

It's not that they're bad songs, it's just irritating that that's what people think of when they hear someone say the band's name. Especially when they have stuff like Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Holland. I would tell people I mostly like the 1965-1978 years of the band, but unfortunately for them, they wouldn't know what those years were for the band. Though, I'm sure if I framed certain years of the Beatles' career, they'd know what I meant. There's so many irritating things about being a BB fan and trying to talk to other people about them. It seriously aggravates me sometimes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

I'm never ashamed of the Beach Boys. If you don't like Surfin' USA, I'm embarrassed for you, not myself. Hell, I'll proudly play Kokomo, too. There's a video of a CBC interview of Brian, and at one point he puts a hand on his forehead and says to something to the effect, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm not on Kokomo. I'm not on Kokomo!" And he's damn right. It's a great song.

It's not that they're bad songs, it's just irritating that that's what people think of when they hear someone say the band's name. Especially when they have stuff like Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Holland. I would tell people I mostly like the 1965-1978 years of the band, but unfortunately for them, they wouldn't know what those years were for the band. Though, I'm sure if I framed certain years of the Beatles' career, they'd know what I meant. There's so many irritating things about being a BB fan and trying to talk to other people about them. It seriously aggravates me sometimes.

Agreed. Though another problem would be the name "The Beach Boys". I know it's not their fault, Candix Records is to blame for that, but while it was a great name for the first 3 or so years, but in the long term, it really came to haunt them.

It would have been better all around if they were never called The Beach Boys. That being said, The Pendletones wasn't a very good name either, and especially not Carl And The Passions or Kenny And The Cadets!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »

I wish they had went ahead and changed their name to something else during the '66-'73 period.  when people hear "Beach Boys" they expect to hear songs related to the genre.  I think the name itself played a big part in that.  Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »

Agreed. Though another problem would be the name "The Beach Boys". I know it's not their fault, Candix Records is to blame for that, but while it was a great name for the first 3 or so years, but in the long term, it really came to haunt them.

It would have been better all around if they were never called The Beach Boys. That being said, The Pendletones wasn't a very good name either, and especially not Carl And The Passions or Kenny And The Cadets!

we posted that at the same time  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »

I wish they had went ahead and changed their name to something else during the '66-'73 period.  when people hear "Beach Boys" they expect to hear songs related to the genre.  I think the name itself played a big part in that.  Sad

I think it was Jack Rieley who suggested changing the band's name to "The Beach". Why they didn't I'll never fully understand...
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

I think it was Jack Rieley who suggested changing the band's name to "The Beach". Why they didn't I'll never fully understand...

if they did that do you think it would've been worse? maybe if they just got away from the beach all together it would've helped. who knows  Huh

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »

if they did that do you think it would've been worse? maybe if they just got away from the beach all together it would've helped. who knows  Huh

True, but it is still an improvement. Maybe then they would have been taken more seriously, as "The Beach" is more adult, more mature than "The Beach Boys"
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »

True, but it is still an improvement. Maybe then they would have been taken more seriously, as "The Beach" is more adult, more mature than "The Beach Boys"

that's true especially since they didn't look the part anymore especially mike with that biblical beard  Old Man ".... and Mike, Old Santa Clause over there"  LOL anyway I don't think that helped either  Undecided

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2014, 12:42:18 AM »

that's true especially since they didn't look the part anymore especially mike with that biblical beard  Old Man ".... and Mike, Old Santa Clause over there"  LOL anyway I don't think that helped either  Undecided

Oh don't get me started on how horrible Mike's Beard was back then! He seriously looked like a hobo!
And though it's not half as bad, I sort-of wish Carl eventually shaved his beard off. Instead, he kept his for the rest of his life
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »

Brian's, apparently.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »

I've never been embarrased to admit to being a Beach Boys fan.
On my first day at secondary school in 1989 we all had to stand up and say a little bit about ourselves and I mentioned that they were my favourite band. On the way to my first lesson, a kid came up to me and said, "Why do you listen to them? You should be listening to Madonna"
I bumped into the same guy 3 years after leaving school and he said, "You were right about The Beach Boys-my favourite album is Smiley Smile"

There seems to be a lot of indie bands that wear the Pet Sounds badge but to me, I prefer bands like Weezer that acknowledge The Beach Boys but don't go out of their way to duplicate the sound
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »

The Beach sounds like a cologne...maybe I think that because I think that actually WAS the name of the cologne
"invented" by Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld.

I do definitely agree that the name was a hindrance, but I don't see The Beach as a viable alternate
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »

Every single track on Endless Summer is brilliant and representative of the best music to come out of the 60's, or any era for that matter. I'd put that track listing up against anyone else's greatest hits. Period.

If the group had never cut Pet Sounds or Smile and broke up after Party they would STILL be incredible.

If when you bring up the Beach Boys to someone and they claim that they find the surfing/drag racing subject matter of the band's early career embarrassing...well, that person is a f***-ng tool.
Dennis Wilson did that stuff. Dennis Wilson was cool. Cooler than practically everyone else in human history. I rest my case. Cool  

While I agree with this completely, I think the image of the Mike Love-driven Beach Boys from the 80s and beyond is what makes the band seem so corny. Additionally, some of the lyrics from the early songs seem outdated to the casual observer. But yes, the music itself is absolutely brilliant and nothing to be ashamed of, far to the contrary.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »

I find the idea of "The Beach" as a terrible band name. Together they could never be anything but The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:25:51 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »

Never. All bands have produced some crap and I really don't give a sh*t that people don't like certain albums I do or vice versa - as long as they don't bang on about it as if they somehow or other KNOW. Actually, I'm not embarrassed by that, just bored. I'll admit that had the ponytail years gone on much longer then I might have found that embarrassing and there are times when I read some of the comments on here and think, mmmmm...  that was a close one. Why should I be embarrassed about being a BB fan? Have a look at the message boards for other artists; we're not that bad. Love Dylan (and not embarrassed by that either - I even have Under the Red Sky, the Dylan equivalent to SIP), but Expecting Rain, anybody?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

The Beach sounds like a cologne...maybe I think that because I think that actually WAS the name of the cologne
"invented" by Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld.

I do definitely agree that the name was a hindrance, but I don't see The Beach as a viable alternate

Ohh I forgot about that! Kramer is the funniest  LOL
Anyway, I think the cologne from Seinfeld is called "The Ocean", not "The Beach".

I still think they should have changed their name, whether it be "The Beach" or a different name. It would have had a major impact in their image.
And they should have done it either in the Pet Sounds/Smile era or the post-Smile era
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:16:01 PM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx