gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:51:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could John Stamos ever have attained "official" member status?  (Read 5177 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

I'm gonna call it, and say the answer is yes. If "Full House" wasn't keeping him as busy as it did in the late 80s, IMO it feels certain that he'd have been asked by the band to join as a full-time, official member.

Also, Stamos is obviously a BB fanboy, but if he had been fanboy enough back in the day to have actually asked Mike to be granted official member status, I have no doubt he'd have been welcomed into the band, scheduling conflicts notwithstanding. Obviously, he's not hardcore fan enough to have quit Full House! Smiley

I mean, Stamos is begging to be an official member in this "Problem Child" EPK video LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMmx5QBaqY

The announcer refers to him as an "honorary member" which is an apt, if not hilarious title.  Stamos doesn't bother me much since he seems like a genuinely nice dude, but I'm mighty glad that he wasn't part of C50.

I feel like Stamos is  the "Fat Elvis Years" aspect to the Beach Boys; a big, jokey aspect of an era of the band well past their prime... which unfortunately is what a great many people first associate The BB with when hearing the band's name.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:05:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:56 PM »

Not while I have breath in my body. No sir, never - NEVER, I say !!

He was definitely some kind of member, though...  Wink
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:19:10 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

He was definitely some kind of member, though...  Wink

LOL  LOL

But our personal feelings aside, what do you think, AGD? I think it seems obvious that it could very easily have happened, if for example 1989 Stamos simply asked for the position, and agreed to be available for touring.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:23:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »

Admin. Please send this topic to the 'Unpopular Beach Boys Opinions' Thread. Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »

Admin. Please send this topic to the 'Unpopular Beach Boys Opinions' Thread. Grin

It's not really an opinion. He never said that he wanted John Stamos to have become an official BB's member.

He was asking a What-if question
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »

I think that Carl would have strongly objected to Stamos being an "official" member.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »

I like the words strongly objected..    Shocked
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »

I think that Carl would have strongly objected to Stamos being an "official" member.

Do you really think 1989/1990 Carl would've put up a fight or really strongly objected? I mean, at that point none of the bandmembers were exactly going out of the way to respect the band's legacy. What makes you think Carl would have strongly objected in that era of the band? Especially the way they kept highlighting Stamos' presence (think the close zoom in shot in the "Hot Fun in the Summertime" music video).

I think official member status could've easily happened, and I'm almost surprised it didn't (we probably have Full House's 8-year run to thank for it not happening Smiley )

As MessOfHelp101 said, I was merely posing a what-if scenario (I'm glad he never became an official member).

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:01:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »

LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »

It's not really an opinion. He never said that he wanted John Stamos to have become an official BB's member.

He was asking a What-if question

That's your opinion.  Wink

I'm gonna call it, and say the answer is yes. If "Full House" wasn't keeping him as busy as it did in the late 80s, IMO it feels certain that he'd have been asked by the band to join as a full-time, official member.

Any Stamos thread is open season and for many, myself included, not taken too seriously BTW. LOL
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:05:52 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 12:16:54 AM »

One of the prime functions of this board is to prevent This scenario ever coming to be.

I signed the pledge and I thought everyone else here had had too, before they were allowed to make their dirt post…

C'mon mods, are you slipping?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »

I've never made a dirt post... but I'm thinking I'd really, really like to.  Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »

I think the original posters concept was thoughtful, well worded and deserves to be taken as such, and should be treated with due respect and consideration...... 

........Sorry, I've tried but I just can't do it! Thud
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »

John Stamos as an official BB would make sense now in Mike's mind. Evil

M&B+Stamos vs. B/A/D is my worst nightmare and its already going on......

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »

John Stamos as an official BB would make sense now in Mike's mind. Evil

M&B+Stamos vs. B/A/D is my worst nightmare and its already going on......
It is what it is.  They are back to "status quo ante" - the position prior to C50.  I can't imagine, absent a reconfiguration of BRI, that, the somewhat "etched in stone" class of members, six, IIRC was/is ever going to change. "New" members haven't happened since Brother Records, Inc.  And that's circa 1966-7. Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce. A closed class; apparently for incorporation.

And, I like Stamos and what he has done over time to promote the BB's, and the fun dynamic, even if the pseudo intellectual purists don't like him.  He can hardly be called "a flash in the pan."  In my soccer mom/ teaching years, Stamos had those little kids singing Kokomo! Phillips, McKenzie, Love and Melcher; all legit composers.

It begs the question, why would Stamos leave an acting career, to be a full-time BB? He has the best of both worlds.  He has the ultimate blend of acting and performing with the Touring Band.  And, he is awesome to the audience.  He is kind beyond words, to the special needs fans.  That works for me.

Bring it on.  LOL
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »

Everytime someone uses the word member in this thread thanks to AGD's post I can't stop laughing. Dagnabbit!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »

Was one of the reasons the C50 ended being that Mike was mad that Stamos wasn't a part of the whole tour?Huh? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »

Was one of the reasons the C50 ended being that Mike was mad that Stamos wasn't a part of the whole tour?Huh? Evil
Doubtful. 

Stamos' "vocation" is that of an actor.  His "avocation" is "guesting" with his favorite band. 

Status quo ante.  Back to pre-C50 status.  Separate entities govern.  A special event. I cannot fathom that reasonable people will not accept this.

For some, it ended too quickly.  But there was a fixed-in-time arrangement.  I loved every show I saw.  But, I love the other configurations as well. 

Maybe, there will be some "special event" in the future. But, I can't predict the future.  Just a mere mortal.  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:45 AM »

Oddly, no - hopefully the true story of what happened June - September 2012 will emerge in due course.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »

Thats a relief... LOL

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

John has also gotten involved with the soft rock group America. He was there at their Hollywood Walk of Fame star unveiling and has done a few concert appearances with them.  I guess they like the Stamos magic, too.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »

John has also gotten involved with the soft rock group America. He was there at their Hollywood Walk of Fame star unveiling and has done a few concert appearances with them.  I guess they like the Stamos magic, too.

The crowd goes wild when he plays the famous bongo part on "Horse with No Name."  Grin

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »

Do you really think 1989/1990 Carl would've put up a fight or really strongly objected? I mean, at that point none of the bandmembers were exactly going out of the way to respect the band's legacy. What makes you think Carl would have strongly objected in that era of the band? Especially the way they kept highlighting Stamos' presence (think the close zoom in shot in the "Hot Fun in the Summertime" music video).

Exxxxxactly.  I don't know why Carl became a saint after he passed away, it doesn't honor the guy to pretend he was things he wasn't.  The facts of the matter are John Stamos is a great guy in about every possible way you can judge that.  The only people on the face of the earth who have anything bad to say about him either used to be married to him or don't like how he looks.  The other 4 Billion of us think he's a pretty cool dude, and that includes the ghost of Carl Wilson.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 02:47:36 AM »

He was definitely some kind of member, though...  Wink

I always thought Dennis was the Beach Boys' official member. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:25 AM »

The facts of the matter are John Stamos is a great guy in about every possible way you can judge that.  The only people on the face of the earth who have anything bad to say about him either used to be married to him or don't like how he looks.  The other 4 Billion of us think he's a pretty cool dude, and that includes the ghost of Carl Wilson.

I can think of roughly a dozen guys who were not in any way impressed with him back in 2012 for the way he acted when the "Forever" sequence suffered a glitch at one show. It was discussed here, and elsewhere, and opinions weren't favourable.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx