gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Endless Harmony
5 - 33 (47.1%)
4 - 34 (48.6%)
3 - 2 (2.9%)
2 - 1 (1.4%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Harmony  (Read 42720 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 10:15:14 PM »

Ahhhh, the famous orange vs. white debate regarding Endless Harmony.

When EH was released in 1998 it was released with an orange-hued artwork. In 2000 the reissue was the white version and that's the version we all buy today.

The 1998 and 2000 issues have some different mixes on many of the tracks. So, if you're a hardcore collector interested in every fart the Beach Boys released, you need both versions.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 03:03:26 AM »

argh. Capitol don't like making things easy, do they? thanks

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »

I gave this one a 5 very easily. This is the way these sort of cd's should be made. Something for everyone. Nice job altogether. I really can't remember if I have the orange or white one because I haven't busted it out in a while but I will soon. I got it in 2000 or maybe 2001 and played it over and over. Highlights for me: "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", "Sail Plane Song/Loop De Loop", "Wonderbill (Live)", "Long Promised Road (Live)", "Darlin' (Live)", "California Girls (Stereo)", "God Only Knows (Wally Heider Studios)", "Heroes And Villains (Live)", "Barbara", "All Alone", "Kiss Me Baby (Stereo)", damn just about all of it. Ends with two clunkers but the rest is all well above perfect.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 12:55:28 AM »

Some stunning moments and some dreck. Did we really need an official release of Brian's Back? Really?

Still, Sail Plane Song is worth the price of admission alone.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »

I just checked it out. I have the later white version. Now I have to find a copy of the orange one to compare.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »

No one's gonna mention the Desper Mix of "Til I Die"?  Yes, the edit to the vocals is rather harsh, but damn is that a wonderful intro...
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »

I love the way Mike Love sings "God only knows..." at the end of this album's "God Only Knows". He should've sung more ballads.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

When I first read that this was the soundtrack to the documentary with the same name, I thought all the songs from the soundtrack were going to be in the film (obviously I heard the soundtrack before I saw the film). I was slightly disappointed when only half to 3/4 of the songs were on the film itself. Can you imagine hearing some of those songs on the film? hearing that H&V "demo", that would have been a great way to showcase Smile footage.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »

I'm surprised that only one person has even mentioned the '67 version of God Only Knows--which, contrary to the CD track listing, was recorded in the studio.

It's really an amazing version, and is everything that a cover or re-record should be.  That is, it's significantly different than the original, but still maintains the original's character and is close in quality.  Unlike some of the other songs attempted at the same session (Good Vibrations, Califonria Girls, You're So Good to Me), GOK really works as a bare bones song, with the beauty of the vocals accentuated.

Interesting that a lot of people (me included) are really, really looking forward to the release of the piano and vocals '67 version of Surf's Up, but there was little attention to the 1998 release of the GOK equivalent.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »

Jeff -- I understand what you're saying, but comparing the 1998 release of the already-booted 1967 "God Only Knows" -- which, yes, was done in the studio but as a rerecording to later be passed off as a live recording from the Hawaii concert -- is like comparing apples to tortellini. Both are very delicious in their own right, but came about with totally different circumstances.

Regarding the "God Only Knows" on Endless Harmony:
- Again, it was a fake concert track.
- It had been booted on the incorrectly-named Lei'd In Hawaii Rehearsal CD that many die-hard fans had.
- "God Only Knows" is Beach Boys canon for both fans and casual listeners. (I hate when people say "casual fans;" if you're a fan, which is short for "fanatic," you're NOT casual!) Basically, a Beach Boys standard in and of itself.
- Except for its bare-bones production and "don't wake the baby" vocals that were typical of pretty much all Beach Boys concerts in 1967, the Endless Harmony version of "God Only Knows" offered nothing substantially new; it was pretty much the usual song, minus the staccato lead-in to the bridge.

Now, with the 1967 "Surf's Up":
- Until The Smile Sessions project, nobody knew it ever existed.
- "Surf's Up" is, well, "Surf's Up," one of the most widely-loved Brian Wilson songs of all time, let alone Smile material.
- It's iconic partly because for all we knew, Brian basically didn't want anything to do with "Surf's Up" between the time Smile was cancelled in 1967 and 2001 (unless Jack Rieley's account is true). We were obviously wrong.
- It's a unique reading of "Surf's Up." We've all heard Brian's demos from December 1966, both the one that aired on TV and the one that didn't but ended up on the Good Vibrations set. (Pretty similar, really.) We've heard the 1971 version. We've heard the 2004 version, which is structurally identical to the 1971 version except for a new string arrangement. But this 1967 version is different. It uses the detuned piano, and there's a never-used-before-or-since modulation allegedly before the line "Come about hard..." And it moved at least one person to tears. Darian said it's the best version he's ever heard...has anybody said that about the EH version? (It IS a wonderful version, don't get me wrong, but I think most people consider the Pet Sounds version definitive...)

And btw, in regards to the way-older posts....again, there were three versions of Endless Harmony -- two orange, one white.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »

Jeff -- I understand what you're saying, but comparing the 1998 release of the already-booted 1967 "God Only Knows" -- which, yes, was done in the studio but as a rerecording to later be passed off as a live recording from the Hawaii concert -- is like comparing apples to tortellini. Both are very delicious in their own right, but came about with totally different circumstances.

Regarding the "God Only Knows" on Endless Harmony:
- Again, it was a fake concert track.
- It had been booted on the incorrectly-named Lei'd In Hawaii Rehearsal CD that many die-hard fans had.
- "God Only Knows" is Beach Boys canon for both fans and casual listeners. (I hate when people say "casual fans;" if you're a fan, which is short for "fanatic," you're NOT casual!) Basically, a Beach Boys standard in and of itself.
- Except for its bare-bones production and "don't wake the baby" vocals that were typical of pretty much all Beach Boys concerts in 1967, the Endless Harmony version of "God Only Knows" offered nothing substantially new; it was pretty much the usual song, minus the staccato lead-in to the bridge.

Now, with the 1967 "Surf's Up":
- Until The Smile Sessions project, nobody knew it ever existed.
- "Surf's Up" is, well, "Surf's Up," one of the most widely-loved Brian Wilson songs of all time, let alone Smile material.
- It's iconic partly because for all we knew, Brian basically didn't want anything to do with "Surf's Up" between the time Smile was cancelled in 1967 and 2001 (unless Jack Rieley's account is true). We were obviously wrong.
- It's a unique reading of "Surf's Up." We've all heard Brian's demos from December 1966, both the one that aired on TV and the one that didn't but ended up on the Good Vibrations set. (Pretty similar, really.) We've heard the 1971 version. We've heard the 2004 version, which is structurally identical to the 1971 version except for a new string arrangement. But this 1967 version is different. It uses the detuned piano, and there's a never-used-before-or-since modulation allegedly before the line "Come about hard..." And it moved at least one person to tears. Darian said it's the best version he's ever heard...has anybody said that about the EH version? (It IS a wonderful version, don't get me wrong, but I think most people consider the Pet Sounds version definitive...)

And btw, in regards to the way-older posts....again, there were three versions of Endless Harmony -- two orange, one white.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but I think calling God Only Knows a “fake concert track” unnecessarily devalues it.  True, it was probably intended to be used in that way, but the “fake concert” part was never added, so it remained, until 1998, an unreleased studio recording.

And I think this version is significantly different than the original.  Pet Sounds, of course, was heavily orchestrated, while this is a very lightly orchestrated version that showcases the vocals.  While I still prefer the original, the EH version gives us a chance to hear the simple beauty of the tune.

As for Surf’s Up … I haven’t heard the ’67 version yet, so it’s hard to comment.  I certainly have high hopes for it based on the reviews, but it’s still going to fall in a similar category as the ’67 God Only Knows, IMO—that is, a subsequently recorded one-off unreleased studio track.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 01:34:26 AM »

WHICH VOCAL IS MIKE in God Only Knows? Is he singing the Bruce part?! That doesn't really sound like anyone in the band to me actually.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

Listening to this for the first time today. So far so good. "Barbara" reinforces my hatred for Dennis's songwriting. Cheesy as hell, with a boooooooooooooriiiiiing melody and cliche lyrics. Basically Kenny G with a raspy voice instead of a soprano sax.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:58:53 PM by Gabo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »

Listening to this for the first time today. So far so good. "Barbara" reinforces my hatred for Dennis's songwriting. Cheesy as hell, with a boooooooooooooriiiiiing melody and cliche lyrics. Basically Kenny G with a raspy voice instead of a soprano sax.
That's it? How's the rest? There is a lot more than Barbara on that comp worthy of discussion.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »

They really should have put Sail Plane Song on 20/20... they made so many eccentric tracks in 1968, it's sad that 20/20 is what they ultimately released
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

They really should have put Sail Plane Song on 20/20... they made so many eccentric tracks in 1968, it's sad that 20/20 is what they ultimately released
Indeed they did, but 20/20 is a fantastic album. There is not one bad song on it. Like I always say I'd rather have 12 good stand alone songs than a few shitty songs on a concept album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »

see my review of 20/20
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »

By the way, I'm going to admit here that I LOVE Brian's Back. Hope that doesn't discredit me on this board...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:59 AM »

By the way, I'm going to admit here that I LOVE Brian's Back. Hope that doesn't discredit me on this board...
I do too, especially the chorus and the end how it segues into You Still Believe In Me. Nice song!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »

It's a pretty good soundtrack, not perfect.
The unreleased material, other than the awful "Brian's Back" is quite satisfactory.
3 out of 5
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »

I love this CD and I like every track.. Gets a lot of airtime  !.. After all this time its still a favorite for me ..  And I have versions  1+3.. Soulful old man sunshine blew me away.. 5/5
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

I have the first pressing. I was completely blown away by the stereo mix of Kiss Me Baby, and Brian's Breakaway.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »

I just listened to Endless Harmony on headphones.  I want Bruce Johnston to apologize.
The whole soundtrack or just the song Endless Harmony?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 10:41:10 PM »

With all of these comps, it's like the 80's never happened. Might be nice someday to hear stripped down versions of It's Gettin' Late, Somewhere Near Japan, or ...yes...Kokomo.
KDS
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 05:13:51 AM »

With all of these comps, it's like the 80's never happened. Might be nice someday to hear stripped down versions of It's Gettin' Late, Somewhere Near Japan, or ...yes...Kokomo.

Yeah, its a pity.  I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd still love to see a deluxe Still Cruisin with all of their odds and ends from the 1980s tacked on. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx