gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:23:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB songs w/ scratch vocal versions by non-BB members  (Read 986 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »

Recent talk about a Stevie Wonder-sung version of "I Do Love You" made me wonder how many other songs in the BB canon have early versions with lead or backing vox sung by non-BB members. I'm guessing there are more that exist than we think, even if they've never been booted.

Some others that I know of:

- Wikipedia lists a Kokomo early version with Jeff Foskett (and I'm surprised this hasn't been released, even on MIC, since Mike is certainly proud of the song - unless this version is really a stinker. I'd still love to hear it).

- Honkin' Down the Highway (Billy Hinsche lead vox)... was this version ever an actual contender for release with Billy vocals? I imagine politics played a role in the song being re-sung by Al (and I *love* Al's lead, as well as Billy's to a lesser degree)

- Terry Melcher on the alternate God Only Knows (not sure if this should be considered a scratch vocal version though)

Any others?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:03:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

Andy Paley on an early version of "Soul Searchin'" ...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »

Terry Melcher lead on demo for Happy Endings (idk if you consider that one)
Then there's John Phillips' early renditions of Somewhere Near Japan and Kokomo. (That may not be what you're looking for, but that's what I thought of)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »

Terry Melcher lead on demo for Happy Endings (idk if you consider that one)
Then there's John Phillips' early renditions of Somewhere Near Japan and Kokomo. (That may not be what you're looking for, but that's what I thought of)

I guess those are grey areas, but probably don't really count, seeing as I'm not sure what those songs (SNJ + Kokomo) were written for originally - I assume as potential John Philips solo material. Plus then we'd have to count Cease to Exist. I'm more thinking of instances where we have a partial backing track that eventually gets used for a BB release, but we have a non BB singing it as a demo for some reason.

A couple more things to ponder...

- Was the Rocky Pamplin-sung California Feelin' vocal recorded as a scratch demo for the BBs, or as a demo for a potential solo project of his?

- And I assume that random Amy gal singing along to the backing track of Let the Wind Blow was done just as a test to hear her vocal chops after the full BB version was already released or in the can?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx