gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 03:36:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB at Pandora's Box  (Read 5108 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »

Chris --

I thought I had a copy of the Capitol Salesmen "We'll sell a million copies" album, but I just searched and apparently, I do not. I must have confused it with the tape circulated back in the day.

The "I Was There KFWB Day!" is exceedingly rare and seldom, seldom comes up. It is most likely their rarest sleeve. Rarer than any U.S. sleeve, the Heroes and Villains exported sleeve, the Swedish Moon Dawg sleeve.  Its rarity is due of course because it was purposefully produced in very low quantities, perhaps just a few hundred (200? 500?). As you know, the sleeve is actually a more substantial paper, not quite cardboard, but heavier than the typical picture sleeve of the day. I suspect, but have not had this confirmed, that Capitol mailed some copies to local radio stations (clearly KFWB received a stash) to promote the event. But apparently very, very few survived.   

I tracked down a number of people who attended that opening of Wallichs Music City, got on the line outside in the parking lot where Wallichs City employees were giving away the record, and received the record in a plain white sleeve.  So, if you were not on line early on, the special sleeve was gone. I always wondered if Wallichs employees stashed away a few for themselves, as well as Capitol's promotion guys. These folks stayed and watched the Boys perform a short set, easy to predict, on a stage or flat bed truck set up in the parking lot. Lots of Capitol artists performed that night. I love that Bob Crane (pre-Hogan's Heroes) was the emcee. KFWB broadcast live non-stop for 24 hours beginning Friday, November 15, 1963, at midnight and into Saturday, November 16, 1963.  That is why the event technically started November 15, but the sleeve says November 16.  Do you have a copy?

Andrew --

Excellent points about "The Summer Moon." I suppose the most definitive source of the September 13th, 1962, date comes from the Capitol two-fers liner notes blurb about "Cindy, Oh Cindy" and SOT Volume I . There is a stock copy of "The Surfer Moon" on its blue Safari label on which Brian hand wrote "8/62."  Of course, that might indicate he wrote the song in August or began work on it in August, and did not actually commit it to tape until September 13. Fascinating stuff. Of course, that first Midwest tour was over May 5, and they were probably back in LA by May 6 or 7, but clearly Brian was working on and rehearsing with Bob and Vickie. Fascinating just how early Brian stopped touring. If Murry and the guys had only realized Brian had the right approach there.  Protect Brian in the comforting creative atmosphere of home and studio, while the other guys performed the music on the road.  Perfect scenario. And the solution to the problem every group faced -- how to create and record new music while slogging across the country promoting your current music. They had it.  And when tensions between Murry and David bubbled over, and Brian inadvertently lost his road replacement (i.e., Al Jardine), the stage was set for Brian's inevitable exhaustion. They got some mixed to poor reviews on that first Midwest tour which may have motivated Murry to lean on Brian to get back on the road and "not disappoint your fans who paid good money to see you." Ironically, that "good money" was about $1.50. And we all know who paid the price.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

Chris --

The "I Was There KFWB Day!" is exceedingly rare and seldom, seldom comes up. It is most likely their rarest sleeve. Rarer than any U.S. sleeve, the Heroes and Villains exported sleeve, the Swedish Moon Dawg sleeve.  Its rarity is due of course because it was purposefully produced in very low quantities, perhaps just a few hundred (200? 500?). As you know, the sleeve is actually a more substantial paper, not quite cardboard, but heavier than the typical picture sleeve of the day. I suspect, but have not had this confirmed, that Capitol mailed some copies to local radio stations (clearly KFWB received a stash) to promote the event. But apparently very, very few survived.   

I tracked down a number of people who attended that opening of Wallichs Music City, got on the line outside in the parking lot where Wallichs City employees were giving away the record, and received the record in a plain white sleeve.  So, if you were not on line early on, the special sleeve was gone. I always wondered if Wallichs employees stashed away a few for themselves, as well as Capitol's promotion guys. These folks stayed and watched the Boys perform a short set, easy to predict, on a stage or flat bed truck set up in the parking lot. Lots of Capitol artists performed that night. I love that Bob Crane (pre-Hogan's Heroes) was the emcee. KFWB broadcast live non-stop for 24 hours beginning Friday, November 15, 1963, at midnight and into Saturday, November 16, 1963.  That is why the event technically started November 15, but the sleeve says November 16.  Do you have a copy?

It wouldn't suprise me if people had stashed some; of course I bet some were just pitched in the ensuing years. 
 But YEAH!! I paid ALOT for that one, and it was worth it. There's a bit of age wear/slight browning( dirt?) and tiny tears at the edges of the flap. I don't think it was ever licked and sealed, tho
Now, if I only had both label variations to go along with it...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »

Chris --

It wouldn't suprise me if people had stashed some; of course I bet some were just pitched in the ensuing years. 
 But YEAH!! I paid ALOT for that one, and it was worth it. There's a bit of age wear/slight browning( dirt?) and tiny tears at the edges of the flap. I don't think it was ever licked and sealed, tho

Are you missing the one with the credits on the b-side?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

Chris --

Are you missing the one with the credits on the b-side?

yep.

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

Now, that's just one of the many reasons why I enjoy this Board so much.  I always learn something. 

Label variation on "Boogie Woodie?"  I have to admit I have never heard of this.

My sole copy has (Traditional-Arr.  Wilson-Christian) beneath BOOGIE WOODIE at the 6:00 o'clock position on the label. 

At the 3:00 o'clock position is "Sea of Tunes / Publishing Co. / BMI-2:04 / (45-50368) . . . in four lines of type.

What exactly is the variation?  And which one seems to be common?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Now, that's just one of the many reasons why I enjoy this Board so much.  I always learn something.  

Label variation on "Boogie Woodie?"  I have to admit I have never heard of this.

My sole copy has (Traditional-Arr.  Wilson-Christian) beneath BOOGIE WOODIE at the 6:00 o'clock position on the label.  

At the 3:00 o'clock position is "Sea of Tunes / Publishing Co. / BMI-2:04 / (45-50368) . . . in four lines of type.

What exactly is the variation?  And which one seems to be common?

Hi Jim,

You'll find scans of the variations here (you may have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Capitol%20promotional%20releases.htm

As to which one is more common, in my relatively short experience, I've seen each in approximately equal (small) quantities. Perhaps the b-side without the credits could be considered an anomaly?

If your interested in label variations, check out the Australian EP section, the Aussies are masters of it Grin

http://www.beachboys45.nl/Australia-Capitol%20EP63-64.htm
http://www.beachboys45.nl/Australia-Capitol%20EP65-69.htm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:01:16 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »

Thanks MFP for the link!  I've been on that great site before, but never saw the variation of "Boogie Woodie."  Just when you think you've seen it all . . .
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

Thanks MFP for the link!  I've been on that great site before, but never saw the variation of "Boogie Woodie."  Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

See, this is what is SO great about the Starline( variations) site!  (Just when you think you've seen it all...)
 well, maybe you're sitting at home and you have a variation that isn't there. You can send it in and be a part of it all. All This Is That and stuff.
Who really knows what all, in every country around the world, was manufactured?   I don't think anyone does, unless they're checking this site. 

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx