gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:03:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "50 Sides Of The Beach Boys" Live Performance in L.A. 12-14-13  (Read 3254 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »

Adam Marsland's Chaos Band, who recorded 2007's LONG PROMISED ROAD:  SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON LIVE, will be returning to the scene of that recording to revisit the Beach Boys' recorded legacy one final time.

"50 SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS: ENCORE" will be a repeat and expansion of last year's daredevil performance of 50 Beach Boys songs from nearly every album in the band's catalog (plus PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE), including all the hits and compex rarities from the 1966-73 period.

Adam Marsland's Chaos Band (Adam Marsland, Evie Sands, Teresa Cowles, Kurt Medlin and Jorge Barba) will be joined by "Rob Z as Mike Love" for much of the set, as well as special guests from L.A.'s pop community.

Some videos from last year's show are here:
http://youtu.be/MAvuYg5_6NY
http://youtu.be/pH_ArRnnV_M

The band plans to largely retire Beach Boys songs from its repertoire after this show, so if you're in the L.A. area, don't miss it.

ADAM MARSLAND'S CHAOS BAND PRESENTS
"50 SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS"
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Brennan's Pub
4089 Lincoln Blvd.
Marina Del Rey
Admission is FREE
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

Adam Marsland's Chaos Band, who recorded 2007's LONG PROMISED ROAD:  SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON LIVE, will be returning to the scene of that recording to revisit the Beach Boys' recorded legacy one final time.

"50 SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS: ENCORE" will be a repeat and expansion of last year's daredevil performance of 50 Beach Boys songs from nearly every album in the band's catalog (plus PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE), including all the hits and compex rarities from the 1966-73 period.

Adam Marsland's Chaos Band (Adam Marsland, Evie Sands, Teresa Cowles, Kurt Medlin and Jorge Barba) will be joined by "Rob Z as Mike Love" for much of the set, as well as special guests from L.A.'s pop community.

The band plans to largely retire Beach Boys songs from its repertoire after this show, so if you're in the L.A. area, don't miss it.

Brennan's Pub
4089 Lincoln Blvd.
Marina Del Rey
Admission is FREE
Oh my gosh! Wish i lived in the LA area to attend this! Please record the audio, if you can.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »

Brennan's Pub
4089 Lincoln Blvd.
Marina Del Rey
Admission is FREE
Oh my gosh! Wish i lived in the LA area to attend this! Please record the audio, if you can.

Get in the car , now, and start driving!  You can pick up a crowd along the way....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

Any other SS board members (besides myself) going?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »

Any other SS board members (besides myself) going?

Nope, live in Indiana.

How was it?
I'm sure the setlist was amazing, can you post it please?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »

That was a lot of fun. And I managed to hear THE best cover of Kokomo ever.

Adam, please tell me tonights show was recorded...would absolutely love to relive it!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »

That was a lot of fun. And I managed to hear THE best cover of Kokomo ever.

Adam, please tell me tonights show was recorded...would absolutely love to relive it!
Justin,
Can you please post the setlist? I'd really like to see what was played? Did they do That's Why God Made the Autotune?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:33 AM »

I didn't take any notes down for the set so by memory:

Long Promised Road
The Trader
Sail On Sailor
Marcella
Surf's Up
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Heroes and Villians
God Only Knows
Our Prayer
You Still Believe In Me
Girl Don't Tell Me
Barbara Ann
Kokomo
Keepin The Summer Alive
Angel Come Home
Fun Fun Fun

If you needed to be reminded just how unusual Beach Boys music can be--you are definitely reminded when you're in a loud bar listening to the music live.  Instead of a typical covers band up there playing the typical bar music....CCR, Stones, Zeppelin etc....the band is up there blasting "Long Promised Road."  It was rad.   Earlier in the night, a group of 20-something girls are standing near me.  I have no idea why they're here.  They're put together for a night out but not at a neighborhood pub: heels, makeup, earrings, tight dresses etc.  After they took 40 pictures of themselves, they just sat and really didn't know how to react to the music.  It did nothing for them.  Suddenly "Wouldn't It Be Nice" starts and it was like a switch was flipped.  They started to dance, sing the words--the whole deal.  It was pretty great to see the Beach Boys music still effect people of all ages.  It was a nice moment.

And then came the highlight of the night: Adam called a guest to the stage to perform a tune.  He jumped on keyboards and triggered a rhythmic beat laying down a very eerie sounding C chord.  The band follows with this hypnotic beat, everyone hanging on this C--just siffing on it--no change.  I'm sitting there, confused and curious....what song was it?  I don't recognize it at all.  What is it?  The music swelled and became even more eerie and menacing.  Suddenly the guy at the keyboard starts singing in a calm voice:  "Aruba...Jamaica...Ooo I wanna take you."  It was the biggest mindfuck ever. 

I am hoping I can hear that performance again if in fact Adam did record it....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:19:39 AM by Justin » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:58 AM »

And then came the highlight of the night: Adam called a guest to the stage to perform a tune.  He jumped on keyboards and triggered a rhythmic beat laying down a very eerie sounding C chord.  The band follows with this hypnotic beat, everyone hanging on this C--just siffing on it--no change.  I'm sitting there, confused and curious....what song was it?  I don't recognize it at all.  What is it?  The music swelled and became even more eerie and menacing.  Suddenly the guy at the keyboard starts singing in a calm voice:  "Aruba...Jamaica...Ooo I wanna take you."  It was the biggest mindfuck ever. 

I am hoping I can hear that performance again if in fact Adam did record it....

That is total brilliance! Link us all if something comes up, I would love to hear that  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

That sounds great!!! What a great setlist! I'm jealous of anyone who was able to attend. One of the best thrills of my life was when Adam played a show and did requests...someone shouted Denny's Drums and he plays it on a drum setting on his keyboard, it was awesome. He also did amazing versions of Where I belong, Darlin, Wild Honey, and Goodbye Yellow brick Road. I tried requesting Let Us ago On This Way but he said he had a difficult time with the tune.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx