gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:44:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Lou Reed  (Read 13922 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »

But the rich 70-year old somehow, magically jumped the waiting list.

Again, where did Reed stand politically? I'm offended by this story.

Steve Jobs did it, too. Not hard, just expensive. You get on the waiting list in multiple states.

I don't see what politics have to do with it, particularly. The urge to live transcends political leanings (ask Dick Cheney's new heart about that).
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »

Really, that's the only thing you can think of? 'What a waste of a good liver?' Why bother, Cablegeddon?

I still can't believe he's gone. I never thought he'd die, in a strange way. It didn't seem possible. RIP.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »

This pic is of Lou in the mid 1970s with his Puerto Rican transvestite (or some say transsexual) girlfriend of the time, the mysterious Rachel. Mysterious because nothing was heard from her again after they broke up around 1977, although she'd been very visible by Lou's side before that. Lou never spoke about her since they split, and she was said by some to have died sometime in the 1990s but no one knows for sure.

she's pretty

Btw, does anyone notice that all the Lou Reed solo albums are out of stock on Amazon?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »

Isn't it true you can get a partial liver from a live donor who's willing to give you part of theirs (the liver grows back to full size after the transplant in both donor and recipient)? It's risky for the donor, as I understand, but it can be done.

It sounds like Lou waited too long to get one. A lot of people live a fairly normal lifespan, it seems, after getting the transplant. Either that, or he had a bad reaction to the anti-rejection drugs.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »

Where did he stand politically?

This article should answer your question.  He was a very smart man.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/176852/lou-reeds-more-perfect-union-politics

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »

Lou Reed was about as liberal as you can get.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »

It's hard to believe it's been a week already since Lou passed peacefully....on a Sunday Morning. I spent most of the past week listening to Lou/VU songs, reading numerous tributes, watching YouTube videos, and thinking. I apologize in advance if these thoughts are boring....

In 1974-75, my turntable was occupied by the likes of KISS, Blue Oyster Cult, The Doors, Slade, and Sparks. That would soon change significantly, as Endless Summer was emanating from my sister's bedroom. And, every week I would ride my bike to the local magazine store to read the recent editions of Rolling Stone, Circus, Hit Parader, and Creem. Creem was my favorite because that's how I discovered the groups mentioned above - and it was the only magazine covering Ray Manzarek's solo career!

I finally broke down and subscribed to Creem, because every new subscription entitled you to KISS's new album - for free! So, a few weeks later the free album arrived in the cardboard mailer, only it wasn't KISS, it was Lou Reed Live. I was pissed; I felt had. Not only wasn't it my promised KISS album, it was friggin' Lou Reed, that freak. The enclosed letter merely mentioned that they were out of KISS, and....sorry. I was tempted to send the album right back, but I didn't. I listened to it once, not bad. Second time, even better. Third time, I was hooked. As eclectic as I thought my taste in music was, well, this was, um, different.

I didn't know what to make of Lou Reed. Never listened to anything by him, other than I remembered "Walk On The Wild Side" from the radio, and hated it. But, I liked Lou Reed Live so much that I sought out more of his stuff. I couldn't find The Velvet Underground in the record stores, but I found a couple of Lou Reed albums in the bargain bins. Eventually I got into The Velvets and some of Lou's later solo stuff. I consider myself a fan, but not a huge diehard. I'm embarrassed to say I did not keep up with every Lou Reed solo album. But, for some reason, his recent passing really shook me up. I feel the loss; I really do. And, after a lot of thought, I know why. I never knew why I liked Lou Reed so much. But now I do.

I wanted to look like Jim Morrison. No offense to Lou (I'm referring to the 1974-75 period), but I didn't want to look like him. I wanted to play guitar like Buck Dharma from BOC, but not really like Lou. I wanted to sing like Brian Wilson, certainly not like Lou Reed. I wanted to go on the rollicking road with Noddy & Company; Lou scared me. I wouldn't mind dressing like Gene Simmons did on stage, but Lou Reed?

So what about Lou appealed to me? Lou Reed represented a side of life that I couldn't even fathom. The places and the people and the lifestyle that Lou sang about were completely foreign to me. And I liked that! I never visited the streets that Lou roamed. I never met the people that Lou knew. I never lived the lifestyle that Lou lived. Frankly, I never even imagined those things. My upbringing and lifestyle and values were so different, that I would've been afraid to live a life like that. But it was sure fun listening to Lou singing about them. It was fascinating and exciting. I could go to those places through Lou's music anytime I wanted. It was different than imagining the California Feeling of Brian Wilson's music; I knew I could fit into that. There's no way I would ever survive in Lou Reed's or The Velvet Underground's world; it was too dangerous. But, damn, it was still fun to think about, that danger. I could experience it through Lou's music, if that makes sense.

I read that Lou passed away, in his home, peacefully. From what I read, Lou found happiness with Laurie in his later years. I'm glad. Thanks Lou, for sharing your world with us. I enjoyed hearing all about it, and in my own way, experiencing it.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

I've been playing Magic and Loss all week. Aside from being a personal favourite it seems appropriate.  Boy, Lou knew how to record guitars! I'm missing him.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »

Lou Reed was about as liberal as you can get.
Where did he stand politically?

This article should answer your question.  He was a very smart man.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/176852/lou-reeds-more-perfect-union-politics

But the rich 70-year old somehow, magically jumped the waiting list.

Again, where did Reed stand politically? I'm offended by this story.

Steve Jobs did it, too. Not hard, just expensive. You get on the waiting list in multiple states.

I don't see what politics have to do with it, particularly. The urge to live transcends political leanings (ask Dick Cheney's new heart about that).
That just makes it all the worse. What a hypocrite. It was all fun and cool to hang with the Occupy wall street movement, he had fun with his self-rightous "I'm with the working class" sentiments....but in the end he was the rich old white male. He was with the elite. What are the odds that he left some 30 or 40 year old guy or woman for dead to get that liver?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

most liver transplants are not from a live donor
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »

Cabblegeddon, your outrage seems to be based on a complete lack of facts, you are jumping to huge conclusions. No, I don't know the facts either so I won't make any comments regarding this matter.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

You act as if he went down to a hospital, found the liver transplant hallway, persisted to cut everyone in line while punching them all in the face, stuck his hand into the icebox, grabbed five livers, threw three on the floor, ate one, and demanded the other one be put inside of him, the whole while screaming "I'm richer than all of you! I deserve to live!"
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:50:33 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »

I really miss Lou, you guys.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

You act as if he went down to a hospital, found the liver transplant hallway, persisted to cut everyone in line while punching them all in the face, stuck his hand into the icebox, grabbed five livers, threw three on the floor, ate one, and demanded the other one be put inside of him, the whole while screaming "I'm richer than all of you! I deserve to live!"

That's exactly what he probably did. A very Lou thing to do. I miss him too.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »

A tribute from John Cale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln77F25hXVQ#t=200
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

Good song, I'm glad John Cale is still with us and I hope he stays with us.  I've become a bigger fan of the Velvets and of Lou Reed since his death which just makes it sadder.  I've bought some of Lou's concert DVDs (Berlin Live, Live in Montreux, Spanish Fly, the Velvet Redux reunion), seeing what a great performer he was and it makes me regret that I'll never get a chance to see him live.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

The New York album is 25 years old. It should have had an anniversary edition. Still time I guess.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »

The New York album is 25 years old. It should have had an anniversary edition. Still time I guess.

They could release this on DVD.
http://www.discogs.com/Lou-Reed-The-New-York-Album/release/4822691

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »

They could release this on DVD.
http://www.discogs.com/Lou-Reed-The-New-York-Album/release/4822691
Yeah, it's a good one as I recall. I've not watched it in years since I binned the video recorder.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx