-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  where would we all be if not for 'smiley smile' board?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: where would we all be if not for 'smiley smile' board?  (Read 15142 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »

it amazes me to see how many people post here, good, bad, weird and wonderful......

its a great resource for knowledge, clarification and history and what's happening in the world of The Beach Boys and related...

but where and what would we all be doing if we didn't have this board??....

its a daunting thought..... if we had to pay an annual subscription, would most pay up???.....

I sure would. 

not much happens on other boards, including the 'master's' these days....

Thankyou guys who run this board, and 'try' and keep us in line...

its the great nearest faraway place...

RickB
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

I would much prefer if the Smiley board didn't exist and the Cabinesesnce board still did ... this is a pale shadow of the original.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »

I would much prefer if the Smiley board didn't exist and the Cabinesesnce board still did ... this is a pale shadow of the original.
What was that like?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:55 PM »

yeah I remember that, but before my time...

what was it like?...... how was it better?

Rb
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

Throwing my two cents in: This forum is great but the height of Beach Boys fandom on the internet in my opinion was pre BWPS.  The old "SMiLE SHOP" was an amazing place to be around 2000-2001-ish.  I was finishing up college around that time and would find myself hitting up the "SMiLE shop" forums in between classes just to see what was up and what aspect of "SMiLE" people were talking about.  Back in those days it was complete blasphemy to say anything positive about Mike Love and Leafian type followers sprouted up everywhere.  Now things have come far more back towards center in discussing the Lovester which in one way is good as we get more variety in opinions but in another way leads to more arguments which at times turns me off for weeks at a time as far as this particular message board goes.

Maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in but a decade ago, The Beach Boys fan community at large seemed to welcome newbies more openly than they do today.  I honestly can't say for sure if I would've become such a devotee if I was just discovering The Beach Boys now as I've seen many a newbie raked over the coals on this and other forums.  Still as the OP brought up one thing that this forum should be commended for is that the owners are keeping it fee-free, something that can't be said for certain other music forums on the internet.  

So all in all, cheers and another round for The Smiley Smile Message Board and all it's members.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »

I am a fan of like ten thousand bands, with maybe a bit shy of a couple dozen being what I would consider "favorites" in which I'm extremely familiar with most or all of their catalog. However, this is one of only two message boards I frequent on a fairly regular basis (with the occasional break, I'll admit) and there are reasons for that.

Apologies if that comes off as "yeah d00d i am msg board connoisseur and am here to enlighten you sorry ass folks", it's just how I feel.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »

I find it rather delightful here myself. Even joining as a 'Newbie', what, 2 years ago, I didn't feel like a stranger, nor was I treated like one. I think the initial joining process for a message board does require a certain extent a pretty good general knowledge of the band [any band on any board], or at least leaping in mostly on areas you know. The only problem with Newbies are ones that create unnecessary new topics which are pretty general. I for one feel the Insignificant questions thread should be pinned to help resolve this. Bar that, bring 'em in.

This is also basically the only message board I post on and read regularly. Being pretty sure the other board Runners mentions is the same as me, I don't contribute much in that community, one that is also comparably dead to here, showing clearly interest doesn't vanish most of the time [though there are inevitably quiet times].

And finally, the sense of humour on this board compared to others is far better. Running jokes give me a good giggle, me slaughtering things is hailed the drug of the century, and the sandbox is great. I just wish it had an alerts system on here. Would make knowing if my posts had been replied to far easier. Ah well, one would hate to lose what we've got just for simple things like that!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »

We would all be at the Smilier Smile forum

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

I can't believe how long I have been reading this board and still learn/discover new things all the time.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: what a rich, varied, complicated, inspired, crazy beautiful history this band has.  The musical treasures and stories that keep cropping up never ceases to amaze me.  Cheers to all

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

I am the definition of a New member of this forum, as I only joined in July this year  LOL
But it is by far my favourite forum, as most other music forums either have barely any activity, the site looks horrible, the site is horribly organized, and of course, most members are arseholes.
This forum is the opposite, there's always people on, the site looks great, the site is one of the best organized, and there are very few arseholes.
Kudos to the Mods for making this site what it is!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

I would much prefer if the Smiley board didn't exist and the Cabinessence board still did ... this is a pale shadow of the original.
What was that like?

It was back when message boards had "magic", when fans who weren't inner circle suddenly had global contacts and became a circle. You suddenly found that you weren't alone in loving the band. You found yourself snail mailing CDRs around the planet with other BB/BW fans. Discussions were wide eyed and wonderful, everyday was a learning experience. The guy who ran it (Mike Wheeler) did a great job and created a great resource in the Cabinessence website - it remains pickled in time these days as http://www.surfermoon.com/

The problem these days is that message nazi protocols and fascist moderators rule the roost (perhaps with good reason but with little tact). Too many of the topics are retreads of sooooo many that have gone before - boring! I find it rare these days if a get past the first few posts of a thread. Every now and then something perks my interest and that's a good thing and ultimately makes this board an important (and relevant) resource.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »

Without the Smiley board, I would be tucked away in my little pad in Hawaii. Loved the old Cabinessence board, but it's deader than a doorknob over there now, through no fault of my own. I tried to bring some life into the place, but I guess people just aren't interested in discussions about Carl's beard, Mike's hat, Bruce's shorts, and a potential MIU box set. This sure is a good place to learn all about the won-won-wonderful Jeffrey Foskett, though.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »

Outside
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »

We would all be dead.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:42:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:41:12 PM by zatch » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »

Not a clue. For all its faults, quirks and resident trolls of all complexions, this is the best BB/BW forum there is. Yes, as us oldsters will always say, it was better back in the day, that day being the Cabinessence era: certainly there were far fewer posters who, having read the Wikipedia entry and - possibly - Brian's pseudobiography, assumed they knew it all (which is of course most irritating to those of us who actually do...). That said, in the main this is a good place to be for intelligent discourse, breaking news and significant, if arcane, research. Now and then a troll slips through the grating, but they're swiftly dealt with one way or the other.

The single biggest failing of this board ? We only see the smallest facet of each others real personas - the (literally) fanatical part. Would be fun, and I think instructive, to organize a one-time SS convention. I'd be there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »

The single biggest failing of this board ? We only see the smallest facet of each others real personas - the (literally) fanatical part. Would be fun, and I think instructive, to organize a one-time SS convention. I'd be there.

Invercargill, New Zealand, July 2014.

Its the southern hemispheres turn for something!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:58:05 PM by TonyW » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »

Las Vegas, NV
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:16 AM »

Yeah, I did like the Smile Shop a bit more but I think that has to do with nostalgia, at least somewhat.  I visited Cabinessence before that but I found the Smile Shop at just the perfect time for me.  As it is, I still say (despite the "occasional" arguments and flame wars) this is still the best message board on the net, due to the level of knowledge, common interests, honored guests, mods, and community, etc, etc, etc.  I may not post that often but I devour the posts on here every day.

Where would I be without it? AHEAD of my deadlines, rather than just barely maintaining them.  However, I'd be a lot less knowledgeable, more frustrated (at my lack of knowledge), and more alone when I work at my desk. 

Thanks to everyone who helps make this place what it is!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:20:28 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »

Las Vegas, NV

The obvious venue is David Mark's old house in Hawthorne, CA.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:57 AM »

Las Vegas, NV

The obvious venue is David Mark's old house in Hawthorne, CA.

What about us in the UK? either hold it here or pay for our flights and hotels  Evil

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 03:40:41 AM »

How about Not America?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:26 AM »

Stainforth UK.

We have a nice village hall, the ladies might make tea and cakes, and the salmon are leaping on the foss at the moment.

That last factor might be key in enticing Al to be special guest.

Oh, and the pub re-opened last week after a four-month closure.

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:52 AM »

Stainforth UK.

We have a nice village hall, the ladies might make tea and cakes, and the salmon are leaping on the foss at the moment.

That last factor might be key in enticing Al to be special guest.

Oh, and the pub re-opened last week after a four-month closure.

If a UK meet is organised, so long as it's at a weekend/in the break between semesters, I'm in!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »

I am a fan of like ten thousand bands, with maybe a bit shy of a couple dozen being what I would consider "favorites" in which I'm extremely familiar with most or all of their catalog. However, this is one of only two message boards I frequent on a fairly regular basis (with the occasional break, I'll admit) and there are reasons for that.

Apologies if that comes off as "yeah d00d i am msg board connoisseur and am here to enlighten you sorry ass folks", it's just how I feel.

What other board do you visit? Is Smileysmiley the wife or the mistress?   Shocked
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: