gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 03:55:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this not the most beautiful performance of GOK by Brian Wilson?  (Read 5092 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2013, 05:29:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD19cDOOnzI

This, imo, is a stellar performance, all the way through.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:30:39 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »

There was another great Brian vocal posted on one of the other threads. Brian is in great form at the moment, way better even than last year. Looks like they found the right medication now. Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »

It is one of the best I've seen. Ever.
And it's great to see him sing AND play, something that was sorely missed during the larger part of his solo career.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:49:54 AM »

What has happened? It's almost like 1966 all over again, such tenderness and beauty... Amazing.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »

What has happened? It's almost like 1966 all over again, such tenderness and beauty... Amazing.
Which could mean that soon he puts out a brilliant album and then descends into madness (again). Grin

In all seriousness, this is a stellar GOK performance by Brian (band's brilliant as always, d'uh). 3D
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »

And no teleprompter??

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »

The teleprompter is in front of the piano, sitting at an angle about four feet away from Brian. It uses huge font, so it's not hard for him to see the words. The placement does make it less obvious than when he sat at middle stage with the small keyboard.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:02:36 AM »

The answer is no - it's a very good performance from Brian (though Jeff is audibly shading him after the middle-eight) but the flat out best solo performance of this song I've heard by him was at the 1988 NAS Tribute show.

1988 NAS Tribute
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:05:42 AM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

AGD has it. I've never seen that 1988 performance, and it is very, very good.

I like the recent one, and it's good to hear more tenderness and less 'shout' in Brian's live vocals of late... but it'll never be the 1960s for his voice again, let's face it. How could it be?
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »

OP link is indeed a great performance of the song, nearly ruined by the horrible offkey singing of a woman either filming or nearby the filming. Really distracts from the beauty of the performance. If you suck at singing, don't sing along at concerts. In fact, even if you don't suck at singing, don't sing at concerts...people paid to hear professionals sing, not you.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »

There was another great Brian vocal posted on one of the other threads. Brian is in great form at the moment, way better even than last year. Looks like they found the right medication now. Evil
Why do you bring up his medication? Are you a doctor? Maybe he's just enjoying his life and career and the new situation he's in.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »

The answer is no - it's a very good performance from Brian (though Jeff is audibly shading him after the middle-eight) but the flat out best solo performance of this song I've heard by him was at the 1988 NAS Tribute show.

1988 NAS Tribute

Thank you, Mr. Doe, for sharing this! You made me cry, late at night, working at the office...what a beautiful, beautiful performance...

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »

1988 NAS Tribute

Why the hell were they paying tribute to a rapper who was still years from gaining notoriety? Or was it for the energy drink which also didn't exist at the time? Who are you people and where is my horse?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

I'm pretty critical of Brian's voice these days, but that performance was wonderful and about as good as we could ever hope to hear from the modern-day Brian Wilson.

wish i could say the same for his dance moves  Wink
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

1988 NAS Tribute

Right on, AGD. Honestly this is what I thought was gonna be posted the first time I opened this thread.

However, the performance that was in the first post was good too. It sounds like how he did it in St. Augustine when I saw him a few weeks ago. He's definitely going with a quieter, mellow approach on that song, and it's working. I hope he uses this vocal approach on the ballads on the upcoming album.
theCOD
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »

The video AGD posted is my favorite, but this is a very close second. Beautiful. Thank you.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »

The video AGD posted is my favorite, but this is a very close second. Beautiful. Thank you.

Right on
very tender perfomances indeed..
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:06 AM »

The first half or so of that is wonderful. I'm actually quite shocked at how well Brian is singing. He does sort of drift off after that but all in all that's a very decent and moving performance.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

I just can't believe , there's one little spot on 2:00-2:02, ..is that Brian? If indeed that's him solo I'm very impressed..I haven't seen him pull of that range recently..
WOW...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »

If you suck at singing, don't sing along at concerts. In fact, even if you don't suck at singing, don't sing at concerts...people paid to hear professionals sing, not you.

Some people pay to go there to sing along with the professionals. That's the way they enjoy themselves at concerts.

Personally, I'd like them all to be quiet too.

Why do you bring up his medication? Are you a doctor? Maybe he's just enjoying his life and career and the new situation he's in.

It's because I'm mean and evil and have a villainous sense of humor. In fact I don't care if it's due to medicaments or whatever that he sings so well, the main thing is what you said - that he's enjoying his life, due to meds or not.

Brian's 1988 performance is really extraordinarily tender! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »

OK, this one's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7znc-bhDs

pmb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »

Although it's not the full song, this version to my ears sounds excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_5LQs1cj0

Especially the first verse.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »

Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:55 AM »

Vow! it's so cool to see Brian doing this song with heart and soul! This song really deserves it..
Tnx so much for this video..to see him so upclose and close his eyes while he sings..
i'm blown away
God bless you Brian...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

1988 NAS Tribute

This is nice, but I wouldn't call it the best. Too much of Brian's "your slightly-off uncle who smokes a lot" voice of the early and mid-90s peeking through, here.

Is this the version he amusingly prefaced with "I gotta sound real feminine on this one" or something similar? It's slightly over the top in a few spots (although he sounds pretty into it, so hay, can't complain), but overall I still really like it. It kind of shows a side to his voice that's not present very often in the last few decades.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx