gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What would you consider to be the worst song of all-time?  (Read 45105 times)
KDS
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:49 AM »

I'm not even going to comment on genres I don't care for, because then my list would be ridiculously long, but here's a few:

Rawk Fist - Thousand Foot Krutch - Quite possibly the worst hard rock song ever written

Bad Company - Five Finger Death Punch - How to you ruin a classic song?  Add Five Finger Death Punch

Nookie - Limp Bizkit - I could've thrown a dart at a board and selected any of their songs. 

All Summer Long - Kid Rock - Has nothing to do with The Beach Boys classic, but does take elements of Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London to make a heaping bowl of awful.  Never have I heard an ode to summer that makes me long for winter. 

Rock Star - Nickleback - The nadir of a band that is the nadir of bland American 2000s rock. 

Sugar Ray - Fly - Please fly...fly away...far away. 

A Spanish Piece - Pink Floyd - I figured I'd include a band I love.  To be fair, this is from the soundtrack to a movie called More, and meant to be heard in the background, but it's easily the worst song by my favorite band. 

Summer of Love - The Beach Boys - Speaking of bands I love.  Good lord, what were they thinking? 

Illusion of Power - Black Sabbath - Very late in their career, Black Sabbath decided to do a song with Ice T....and they chose it as the album opener.  The 90s were just a bad time for music all around. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

Don't worry, be happy

The last time we travelled to the UK by sea we were woken by this song. Mind you, the hour was pretty ungodly too.

All Summer Long - Kid Rock ...  a heaping bowl of awful.  Never have I heard an ode to summer that makes me long for winter. 

LOL LOL LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »

I'll leave the Justins (Bieber, Timberlake) and their ilk alone, to point at a fav group of mine instead. Worst song ever is... without the slightest doubt...

THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY

When I heard that overlong vocalising*, so totally out of place with all they had created up to that moment in their career, so totally soul-selling to the evil forces of commerce, so totally desecrating to poor Syd Barrett and what he had meant, I thought they were artistically dead.
Then, there came Animals... Smiley

* Nothing against the singer, of course. She did very well what they were expecting from her.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
KDS
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »

I'll leave the Justins (Bieber, Timberlake) and their ilk alone, to point at a fav group of mine instead. Worst song ever is... without the slightest doubt...

THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY

When I heard that overlong vocalising*, so totally out of place with all they had created up to that moment in their career, so totally soul-selling to the evil forces of commerce, so totally desecrating to poor Syd Barrett and what he had meant, I thought they were artistically dead.

* Nothing against the singer, of course. She did very well what they were expecting from her.

I could understand if you said that the song Money was "selling to the evil forces of commerce," but Great Gig in the Sky is one of the more non commercial tracks off DSOTM.  I can see the vocals not being one's cup of tea, but to combine this track with the thought of selling out doesn't make much sense IMO. 

Speaking of Syd, I really like his Floyd era stuff, but there are some tracks on his solo albums I think you can add to this mix.  I can't think of the names off hand since it's been at least 7 years since I've listened to them.  I really like Dominoes and Dark Globe, so those two are not the suspects I'm thinking of.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »

I like "Don't worry be happy". It brings joy. I'll take it anytime than emo-y depressive stuff (say, Joy Division?).

Re: Maywood: the guy in radio said they were very popular in USSR. Hilarious.

Either Justin is snoozefest. The other bad songs: anything by Amy Whinehouse, Madonna, Prince, "Unintended", "Venus", "Euphoria" by some Loreen etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:29 AM »

I would suspect that the worst song of all time is one written solely to praise a regime which not only represses its people but also forbids any music other than unaccompanied songs about how wonderful it is...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2017, 05:08:07 AM »

I would suspect that the worst song of all time is one written solely to praise a regime which not only represses its people but also forbids any music other than unaccompanied songs about how wonderful it is...
I checked to see what is "regime" - too difficult. Tongue As smb. not in the slightest interested in politics, except maybe veeeery shallow way, I really don't care. I stand by saying that the lyrics is boring aspect in the song & I don't listen what it's about. Song to me is about music, if it's hookbound, got good or bad vocs, the choice & blend of instruments etc. So that's that. :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:23 AM »

This is NOT a joke, I'm dead fucking serious. Either he kills himself or someone kills him

Phew, I was starting to fear we had run out of crazy on this board.
wtf? Don't be a jerk...
Jesus Christ, some of the sh*t I said years ago was moronic and f***ed up. What on earth possessed me to say sh*t like that.... No wonder I was looked down upon back then, bloody hell.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:45:06 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:09 AM »

THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY

I could understand if you said that the song Money was "selling to the evil forces of commerce," but Great Gig in the Sky is one of the more non commercial tracks off DSOTM.  I can see the vocals not being one's cup of tea, but to combine this track with the thought of selling out doesn't make much sense IMO.  

Speaking of Syd, I really like his Floyd era stuff, but there are some tracks on his solo albums I think you can add to this mix.  I can't think of the names off hand since it's been at least 7 years since I've listened to them.  I really like Dominoes and Dark Globe, so those two are not the suspects I'm thinking of.
The whole Dark Side of the Moon is "selling out". Money is cringeworthy too, but it has borderline recognisable melody and rhythm. TGGITS is simply awful, with that bunch of notes from nowhere and that prolonged howling. A real wolf would have been much better. Grin

P.S.
On the other hand, with a real wolf they might have reserved that song for Animals, so destroying the beauty of that album...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:00:00 AM by thorgil » Logged

KDS
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »

THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY

I could understand if you said that the song Money was "selling to the evil forces of commerce," but Great Gig in the Sky is one of the more non commercial tracks off DSOTM.  I can see the vocals not being one's cup of tea, but to combine this track with the thought of selling out doesn't make much sense IMO.  

Speaking of Syd, I really like his Floyd era stuff, but there are some tracks on his solo albums I think you can add to this mix.  I can't think of the names off hand since it's been at least 7 years since I've listened to them.  I really like Dominoes and Dark Globe, so those two are not the suspects I'm thinking of.
The whole Dark Side of the Moon is "selling out". Money is cringeworthy too, but it has borderline recognisable melody and rhythm. TGGITS is simply awful, with that bunch of notes from nowhere and that prolonged howling. A real wolf would have been much better. Grin

P.S.
On the other hand, with a real wolf they might have reserved that song for Animals, so destroying the beauty of that album...

Personally, I think "selling out" is one of the most overused terms by music fans.  I don't see how a concept album about the things that drive humanity crazy, amounts to selling out.  Had Pink Floyd completely changed their sound in a sole effort to get singles on Top 40, that would be selling out.  But, there's a natural progression from Piper to Dark Side IMO. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:28 AM »

2KDS: agree with last bit.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »

Vanilla Ice- Ice ice baby.

lil mama-lip gloss.  Seriously? Shocked

dynamite hack- boyz n the hood Roll Eyes

Soooo many more, thought i would start with crap music

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2017, 04:08:08 AM »

kds, "selling out" may be overused, but to my memory it was the very first time I used it, and that only because I was responding to a post where you used it. I even put it in quotes, dammit. Personally, "selling out" reminds me much more of a full theatre.

However, I stand by my admittedly unpopular opinion. There are many ways of selling one's soul. Many are blatant, others subtler. But in any case the Pinx reclaimed their collective soul with "Animals", so it can be said that they didn't sell it, just lent it for a while. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:30:01 AM by thorgil » Logged

KDS
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2017, 05:15:26 AM »

kds, "selling out" may be overused, but to my memory it was the very first time I used it, and that only because I was responding to a post where you used it. I even put it in quotes, dammit. Personally, "selling out" reminds me much more of a full theatre.

However, I stand by my admittedly unpopular opinion. There are many ways of selling one's soul. Many are blatant, others subtler. But in any case the Pinx reclaimed their collective soul with "Animals", so it can be said that they didn't sell it, just lent it for a while. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4

To each their own. 

Personally, I think there are only two instances where you could possibly accuse the Floyd of "selling out."

1.  Using disco beats for Another Brick in the Wall Part II.  On paper, Pink Floyd and disco beats sounds awful, but it does work surprisingly well, even if it was done pretty much to give them a hit single.

2.  Roger Waters going full tilt 80s on Radio KAOS.  For his second solo album, there are some good songs that are, unfortunately, buried in 80s production.  Roger has since admitted it was a big mistake, and when he performed The Powers That Be on his 1999 comeback tour, he gave it a completely different arrangement. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

Roger is true leader & driving force behind Pink Floyd. Smb. doesn't like his voice but many fans do.

KDS
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »

Roger is true leader & driving force behind Pink Floyd. Smb. doesn't like his voice but many fans do.

Roger was a great lyric writer, but I think Gilmour is the far better singer.   I think Roger also benefitted a lot from Gilmour and Wright's sense of melody.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2017, 10:31:19 PM »

but I think Gilmour is the far better singer.
Hence I said "Smb. doesn't like his [Roger's] voice". But to my ears, he's got interesting voice & David's not.

I think Roger also benefitted a lot from Gilmour and Wright's sense of melody.
You're free to think that. I disagree.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:29 AM »

But, there's a natural progression from Piper to Dark Side IMO. 

I've been pondering this statement for days. It's the "progression" from Piper to Secrets that bugs me a little...

KDS
« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2017, 05:13:26 AM »

but I think Gilmour is the far better singer.
Hence I said "Smb. doesn't like his [Roger's] voice". But to my ears, he's got interesting voice & David's not.

I think Roger also benefitted a lot from Gilmour and Wright's sense of melody.
You're free to think that. I disagree.

You're free to disagree.   But, while I'm a big Roger Waters fan, the later Floyd albums and his solo albums can be a little "tuneless" at times. 
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »

https://youtu.be/2DAdWcsM7Po

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
KDS
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:09 AM »

Are you nominating this for the worst song ever?  I'm actually a big fan.  Especially of some the live versions circa 69-70 that feature vocals from Gilmour and key work from Wright.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »

Songs with Cat Stevens vocals. Sounds like goat.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

Are you nominating this for the worst song ever?  I'm actually a big fan.  Especially of some the live versions circa 69-70 that feature vocals from Gilmour and key work from Wright.

No laughing at the gilmour/ waters who was better comments above. together they were better thats why i posted it.

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

KDS
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »

No laughing at the gilmour/ waters who was better comments above. together they were better thats why i posted it.

Makes sense. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

Here's a likely candidate. Touch my bum indeed! LOL

https://youtu.be/xepVMeOqWJo

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx