gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:39:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck are on Jimmy Fallon's Show Tonight  (Read 30941 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

Believe it or not, you don't have to buy an exhaustive box set in order to appreciate an album. She's said she's a fan of the band many times prior to this, if I recall correctly.
I don't know about you but I can't stand hyperboles like "I love this album". Love is a strong word, and music listening is a strange sociology. If somebody is ambivalent, so-so, or simply fond of a work, that's fine by me for them to admit. I would never tell anybody that I love Pet Sounds if the only tracks that I deeply felt from it were Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B. It's a 40-minute piece with a lot of meat; anybody who enthuses the main course ought to be demanding the chef for dessert. And I didn't appreciate Pet Sounds at all until I heard Sessions a couple of years ago. It's not just some box set.

Meh. Love takes on many forms and goes to many extents and you're really splitting hairs. Expressing what you get out of music with language is always gonna tell about 1% of the story, if that. I realize it's "not just some box set", but I like (a lot) or love every single song on Pet Sounds and, to me, that's absolutely enough to justify saying "I love Pet Sounds" or "Pet Sounds is an influence on my life". I'm not sure why it's assumed she only likes two songs from the album. A couple other people I've talked to want to (not you) turn this into some kind of "That dumb bitch didn't even know about the Pet Sounds box!" dick measuring contest.

A dick measuring contest of any sort is about the last thing an art form needs. You like it, you like it. You love it, you love it. If it makes you feel good, there's no need to over-think it or try to validate your appreciation of it over someone else's. f*** that shit forever and ever. Katy Perry comes up to me and tells me she loves The Beach Boys, I say "Cool" or "Hey, me too, let's talk about it", not, "Psh, you cunt, your music's terrible, have you even fucking heard take 3 of 'Trombone Dixie'?"

I agree with you one million percent.

and I disagree with you one million percent (the OP).  I doubt her sincerity and I don't think anything is going to sway me from that stance. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »

I'm not sure why "Our Prayer" is considered such an impressive piece of music. It's super-short, it's simple, and it's not that original-sounding. It's a faux Gregorian chant. I don't think it shows off vocals that well, especially since part of is closed-mouth humming.

Agreed.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »

A Beach Boys' song was featured in a Jimmy Fallon sketch last night.  Check it out:

http://youtu.be/LLQvcolazDI

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »

A Beach Boys' song was featured in a Jimmy Fallon sketch:

http://youtu.be/LLQvcolazDI
Didn't get the humor but their mugs & African dancing were entertaining to see. I recognized that Laurie actor from the "Stuart Little" movies. Thought he was square before. Anyway, I'm glad that Mr. Fallon doesn't lean towards the 60s songs, he enjoys 80s 'cheese' (c) like "Kokomo" as well. In other words, he's an all-around BBs fan. As for "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, I never heard this song & artist in general, only know her by name.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx