gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck are on Jimmy Fallon's Show Tonight  (Read 30932 times)
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

I'm not sure why "Our Prayer" is considered such an impressive piece of music. It's super-short, it's simple, and it's not that original-sounding. It's a faux Gregorian chant. I don't think it shows off vocals that well, especially since part of is closed-mouth humming. I wish they would have chosen different pieces of music than that or "Danny Boy." Oh, well.

1) If you think "Our Prayer" is simple you must have never analyzed the voice leading Brian worked out.
2) If you think it sounds like a "faux Gregorian chant" you either don't know the meaning of "faux" or you haven't a clue what features distinguish a Gregorian chant.
3) You wish they had done another song... woop dee doo.

I don't mean to be rude but sometimes it pays off to think before applying finger to keyboard.

Woop dee doo to you and a couple of other people's opinions on this thread, too. I do think before applying finger to keyboard, unlike some people who are obsessed with kissing Brian Wilson's behind every waking moment of the day and going all Nazi-like to keep people in line on that opinion (and by definition are non-thinkers). What a bunch of charmers who try to bully everyone on this board who don't subscribe to the group-think of Brian IS GOD! Every turd he pushes out is gold.

Wow! Are they selling Brian's golden turds at the shows? They should! Sounds like a good investment to me.  Roll Eyes

I would have loved nothing more than if Mike and Bruce were on stage with Brian, Jeff, and the group. I think the majority of the people who read this board feel the same way.

Give Brian and Jeff some credit. This is a really cool pairing. On the other hand I'd like to see all of the Beach Boys back together real soon.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »

Believe it or not, you don't have to buy an exhaustive box set in order to appreciate an album. She's said she's a fan of the band many times prior to this, if I recall correctly.
I don't know about you but I can't stand hyperboles like "I love this album". Love is a strong word, and music listening is a strange sociology. If somebody is ambivalent, so-so, or simply fond of a work, that's fine by me for them to admit. I would never tell anybody that I love Pet Sounds if the only tracks that I deeply felt from it were Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B. It's a 40-minute piece with a lot of meat; anybody who enthuses the main course ought to be demanding the chef for dessert. And I didn't appreciate Pet Sounds at all until I heard Sessions a couple of years ago. It's not just some box set.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »

Believe it or not, you don't have to buy an exhaustive box set in order to appreciate an album. She's said she's a fan of the band many times prior to this, if I recall correctly.
I don't know about you but I can't stand hyperboles like "I love this album". Love is a strong word, and music listening is a strange sociology. If somebody is ambivalent, so-so, or simply fond of a work, that's fine by me for them to admit. I would never tell anybody that I love Pet Sounds if the only tracks that I deeply felt from it were Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B. It's a 40-minute piece with a lot of meat; anybody who enthuses the main course ought to be demanding the chef for dessert. And I didn't appreciate Pet Sounds at all until I heard Sessions a couple of years ago. It's not just some box set.
There is always some hyperbole.  But, I can say that I LOVED hearing Brian do I'm Waiting for the Day, at sound check the other day.  One of the greatest things about aging, is that your treasures in life become more precious on some level and the whole "youth" thing becomes immaterial.  All those words learned by heart a million years ago, come right back, in a better and softer context.  And, that Brian picked that song, indicates a real fondness that he might have as well.  Not a hit, but lovely, with that yearning quality that his brothers both embodied while performing.  

The only thing I like better than Pet Sounds, is Pet Sounds Sessions! That is the neatest auditory backstory of all. I think you're correct!  Wink

Wild Honey has been a hot topic since last April.  And lucky me, I saw it the first night that the Touring Band did it in NJ.  Now I've seen Blondie do it only last week.  But, found the "karaoke" version (yes, I'd say the Boys invented karaoke!) from Stack-o'- Tracks! It is floating around on YouTube and I highly recommend it.  Best, listened to, with some decent headphones to hear the guitar and, percussion - very neat!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 06:55:53 AM by filledeplage » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

Meh. Love takes on many forms and goes to many extents and you're really splitting hairs. Expressing what you get out of music with language is always gonna tell about 1% of the story, if that. I realize it's "not just some box set", but I like (a lot) or love every single song on Pet Sounds and, to me, that's absolutely enough to justify saying "I love Pet Sounds" or "Pet Sounds is an influence on my life". I'm not sure why it's assumed she only likes two songs from the album. A couple other people I've talked to want to (not you) turn this into some kind of "That dumb bitch didn't even know about the Pet Sounds box!" dick measuring contest.

A dick measuring contest of any sort is about the last thing an art form needs. You like it, you like it. You love it, you love it. If it makes you feel good, there's no need to over-think it or try to validate your appreciation of it over someone else's. f*** that shit forever and ever. Katy Perry comes up to me and tells me she loves The Beach Boys, I say "Cool" or "Hey, me too, let's talk about it", not, "Psh, you cunt, your music's terrible, have you even fucking heard take 3 of 'Trombone Dixie'?"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:30:53 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »

She loves Pet Sounds, fine. But for her to claim it has influenced all her music is delusional, self validating dogshit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:38 AM »

Meh. Love takes on many forms and goes to many extents and you're really splitting hairs. Expressing what you get out of music with language is always gonna tell about 1% of the story, if that. I realize it's "not just some box set", but I like (a lot) or love every single song on Pet Sounds and, to me, that's absolutely enough to justify saying "I love Pet Sounds" or "Pet Sounds is an influence on my life". I'm not sure why it's assumed she only likes two songs from the album. A couple other people I've talked to want to (not you) turn this into some kind of "That dumb bitch didn't even know about the Pet Sounds box!" dick measuring contest.

A dick measuring contest of any sort is about the last thing an art form needs. You like it, you like it. You love it, you love it. If it makes you feel good, there's no need to over-think it or try to validate your appreciation of it over someone else's. f*** that shit forever and ever. Katy Perry comes up to me and tells me she loves The Beach Boys, I say "Cool" or "Hey, me too, let's talk about it", not, "Psh, you cunt, your music's terrible, have you even fucking heard take 3 of 'Trombone Dixie'?"

"Bro do you even lift?"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »

sh*t FROM A DOG'S ASS

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »

It's not unreasonable to ask a musician if they own or have ever heard the "Pet Sounds" boxed set. It's an opportunity to hear how music is put together. Of course, Katy isn't a producer of her own work, but you'd think she'd be curious to hear something like that. I hope Jimmy gives her that boxed set. It might change her life. Or not.

I've never heard Katy's early work, but she was a more conventional singer-songwriter at one point. Perhaps she was more influenced by "Pet Sounds" then, or at least inspired by it. I give her credit for being familiar with it. She's one of the more inoffensive of the singers of her type.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »

It's not unreasonable to ask a musician if they own or have ever heard the "Pet Sounds" boxed set. It's an opportunity to hear how music is put together. Of course, Katy isn't a producer of her own work, but you'd think she'd be curious to hear something like that. I hope Jimmy gives her that boxed set. It might change her life. Or not.

I've never heard Katy's early work, but she was a more conventional singer-songwriter at one point. Perhaps she was more influenced by "Pet Sounds" then, or at least inspired by it. I give her credit for being familiar with it. She's one of the more inoffensive of the singers of her type.

Wasn't unreasonable of Fallon to ask her at all. His response was more the "Hey, me too, let's talk about it" kind of thing I was talking about earlier.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:27 AM »

She loves Pet Sounds, fine. But for her to claim it has influenced all her music is delusional, self validating dogshit.
No more delusional than all those grunge bands from the 90's claiming they were influenced by PS or the Beatles catalog.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »

Early on in my fandom I made the mistake of buying an album by Spaceman 3, who claimed to have been influenced by Smile. The album also boasted arrangements by VDP.

What a pile of shite it was. I never made such a mistake again.

Instead I sought out the music which had obviously inspired Brian, and this was the beginning a musical journey which took me back 800 years. Far more rewarding.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2013, 05:38:13 AM »

guitarfool, thanks for the photos. Smiley I can see them now. (Was offline during the weekend.) Like in the vid, there's a smile in Brian's face that really reminds me of the young Brian.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »

I would like to point out that the version of Danny Boy played in concert is longer and features an elaborate harmony beginning that wasn't featured on the Fallon show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxZ-nTLVKQ
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »

No more delusional than all those grunge bands from the 90's claiming they were influenced by PS or the Beatles catalog.

Grunge will always be a fairly meaningless tag to me but out of all the bands labelled by it, I'd say Stone Temple Pilots had some fairly Beatles inspired songs in their latter days.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »

What were the Grunge bands who said they were influenced by Pet Sounds?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »

Pearl Asylum, Soundhoney, and The Screaming Jam.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

Pearl Asylum, Soundhoney, and The Screaming Jam.
lol
Gohi
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »

You guys are being presumptuous nerds. So someone can't be influenced by someone else unless their music sounds like that artist? f*** that. Prince is a huuge influence for me but not one of my songs sounds like him. Does that mean I am a liar? I guess so.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »

It is a pretty weird stance to take, isn't it? Most artists would prefer to do their own thing and not imitate their influences!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »

It is a pretty weird stance to take, isn't it? Most artists would prefer to do their own thing and not imitate their influences!
I think so, too. Track title is probably just 'fan service' / inside joke. (But who knows. It's Brian Wilson. He's crazy.)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

I think so, too. Track title is probably just 'fan service' / inside joke. (But who knows. It's Brian Wilson. He's crazy.)

You've crossed the Run, James, Run streams, haven't you? It happens. The track title to me kinda seems a bit... Foskett.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »

You guys are being presumptuous nerds. So someone can't be influenced by someone else unless their music sounds like that artist? f*** that. Prince is a huuge influence for me but not one of my songs sounds like him. Does that mean I am a liar? I guess so.

I personally think you're confusing "being influenced by", and "being inspired by" something.

Being influenced by something would infer that you have taken something of said influence, be it vocal harmonies, or instrumentation, and moulded or changed that to fit your own sound. I think to claim influence, there needs to be something there that you can say, "yep, that person was definitely influenced by so and so" A  lot of these people who claim they are influenced by Brian Wilson are at best self delusional, and at worst just name checking to be trendy.

I would say that you admire Prince, and his music maybe prompted you to create your own, but unless there is something, however small that you can say you learnt or derived from one of his songs and it directly affected a stylistic choice, then your music is not influenced by him, it was inspired by him.

Take Brian's own influences. The Four Freshman and Phil Spector. You wouldn't even need to be told who influenced him. Whereas he was inspired by the Beatles, and his music sounds nothing like theirs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:45:19 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »

You've crossed the Run, James, Run streams, haven't you? It happens. The track title to me kinda seems a bit... Foskett.
Weird... but thanks for noticing. Tongue
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

This is great! Just what I expected, after watching the 2012 performance on Jimmy Fallon. Both numbers have seamless flow, but I mostly enjoyed "Danny Boy" - excellent guitar jamming by Beck, whom I have a big respect for. "Our Prayer" is good, only the harmonies sound a bit unfinished, as if it lacks 1 additional voice/register. That said & all things aside, it was enough for me seeing The BBs (aka BAD), their happy smiling faces & various awkward but cute gestures & mannerisms. I don't care that they were just sitting with nothing to do - they deserve to have a rest, albeit in front of millions of TV/Inet viewers. It's the BBs we're talking about, the No. 1 American band! Though of course, Brian's own band is awesome too.

Some jolly interesting comments here, e.g. by guitarfool2002. He made excellent points around Katy's remark: indeed, people tend to have obsessions over their favorites, so they keep following them everywhere, check every interview, absorb what their idols say etc. It's especially true of current generation, so that'd be cool to observe youngsters standing in line for buying Pet Sounds in stores. Maybe Placebo effect could work here too, i.e. Katy's fans so blindly love her, that their ears would automatically accept this record. Generally, I like Katy's voice, she's arguably one of the better singers today, very professional in concerts (according to various videos).

2keysarsoze001: you're right about mid-ranges being the most difficult to learn in choir. Nearly every multi-layered harmonizing is sth. of a task.
Finally, agree with phirnis' post re Al's classy fingersnaps (in addition to his crafty whistling). It surely mixed well with Jeff's playing.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

I agree with you one million percent.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx