gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:16:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Landlocked - soniclovenoize reconstruction  (Read 14237 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »

Keep up the awesome work, man!

A discipline daddy.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »

I'm still wondering just what he will accomplish with Adult/Child...I mean, you can do pitch correction and a few of the tracks have some decent source material out there....but we're still talking about an album that's only half available on bootlegs sourced from really muddy sounding tapes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 12:50:43 AM »

And it's good that you used the original "Fallin' In Love" from the boot instead of the released version. True to form.

Hi Mikie,

Just to clarify, it's not actually the original booted/Desper stereo mix of "Fallin' In Love (aka Lady)" here, in that "Sonic" noted that he simply re-edited the 2009 version to emulate the structure of the original.

The 1970 mix features a slightly different, doubled DW lead with different lyrics in places. For example, the original has the lyrics "I love to grow with my lady" on the first verse. Whereas, on the 2009 version, it's a doubled "I let her grow (or possibly "let her know") she's a lady."  Smiley
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 01:07:29 AM »

Wow, thanks guys for the compliments, I really appreciate it.  Smiley

Zippyshare is legit.  Just be sure to type in the captcha in the upper-right hand corner and click DOWNLOAD NOW.  Don't click anything else, ignore pop ups. 

Great job man. Only complaint are that the drop outs in Big Sur, Loop de Loop and When Girls Get Together are still there. Great sound quality though. Carnival in particular sounds as clean as ever.
Ah yes, good observation.  I left those in because I thought they added to the charm of the recordings, and personally those few drop-outs never detracted me, personally, from enjoying the songs.  It might be though that I am bias towards analog recordings in this modern age and welcome tape imperfections... 

They are a tough fix though.  I'd have to patch them in from another equivalent part of the song, and off the top of my head, it might not be able to come out smoothly.  I know Dumb Angel was able to sample a different part of Life is for The Living to cover the drop out in the beginning, but I didn't quite like the sound of it and so I left the drop out in, you know? 

I've fixed drop-outs by simply isolating the affected area, raising the volume of that area, and doing some EQ if necessary.  When a drop-out occurs, it's usually not that the music is gone, it's that the volume level drops.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 04:40:26 AM »

It's great to have a Lady with the original intro in such high quality now :D Best version!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:28 AM »

Big Sur is running too slow.

You made the dizzying sound effect on "Carnival" even more dizzying! I got sick for a moment! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:42:53 PM by zatch » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »

Thanks so much for this, incredible!

Please do Adult/Child  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »

Big Sur is running too slow.
Same with When Girls Get Together.

A discipline daddy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

And it's good that you used the original "Fallin' In Love" from the boot instead of the released version. True to form.

Hi Mikie,

Just to clarify, it's not actually the original booted/Desper stereo mix of "Fallin' In Love (aka Lady)" here, in that "Sonic" noted that he simply re-edited the 2009 version to emulate the structure of the original.

The 1970 mix features a slightly different, doubled DW lead with different lyrics in places. For example, the original has the lyrics "I love to grow with my lady" on the first verse. Whereas, on the 2009 version, it's a doubled "I let her grow (or possibly "let her know") she's a lady."  Smiley

Desper has said on his thread that the original intent for the lead to be single tracked, and that having it doubled compromised the the emotion.

I may be in the minority here, but I still think they should have included the original stereo mixes of "Lady" and "Good Time" on the Made In California box. Or...for consistencies sake...perhaps the original mono single mix of "Lady" to compliment "Sound Of Free."

The 2009 version of "Lady" is more like an alternate version, reconstruction to me (I won't use the word "outtfake"....lol), in that the string intro was simply created by flying-in that bit, from the multis, elsewhere in the song. I also prefer Denny's lead vocals and the lyrics on the original. On the later version, to me anyway, his vocals sound slightly thicker and more sluggish.

Still cool that "Sonic" gave us something else unique and fun here -- yet with a basis in the original. That's what these fan edits and reconstructions should often be about anyway IMHO: A fresh perspective on an "old friend."
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

cool cover !!!

dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:14 AM »

Top, top job sonic! I love this 'album', some great tracks. Not a dud on there. Never heard this version of Big Sur before and it's a lovely song – one of the best things Mike did perhaps? Susie Cincinnati is one of my all-time favourite Beach Boys songs and one of Al's finest moments. Interesting to note that if this 'album' had gone into production like this then Al would have had four leads/co-leads (Loop de Loop, Lookin' At Tomorrow, Take A Load Off Your Feet, Susie Cincinnati).

It would have been a very quirky album if released like this, with some spartan production values, but still in my mind a terrific album. Again it amazes me how much stuff the Beach Boys recorded and never released. Incredible.

Sonic, could you point me in the direction of some other BB albums you have put together, please. Cheers
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:40:05 AM by dombanzai » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 06:39:31 AM »

Sonic, could you point me in the direction of some other BB albums you have put together, please. Cheers

Thanks for the compliments!

The BB stuff I've done are:
SMiLE (1967 mix)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16411.0.html
SMiLE (2004 stereo mix)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16369.0.html
SMiLE Instrumentals
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16485.0.html

And then there's the Random Heroes and Villains Generator!
http://www.millerbull.com/cortex/smile/

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 06:48:22 AM »

As in, a waste of two minutes waiting for the download to finish. I wish I could have listened to it sooner!  LOL

oohhhoho you almost got me you darned scoundrel you!  Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »

I had forgotten about the H&V random generator.  LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »

Me too, it's great!

Dling this now, psyched.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »

Has the panning left/right issue been fixed on "Big Sur" yet?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »

I wonder what would happen if BW himself found it? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

When will we see Adult Child?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

I may be in the minority here, but I still think they should have included the original stereo mixes of "Lady" and "Good Time" on the Made In California box. Or...for consistencies sake...perhaps the original mono single mix of "Lady" to compliment "Sound Of Free."

That makes us two. The beginning of the original mix with Dennis single tracked without reverb is so great... The MIC mix is overdone.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 02:57:49 AM »

Twilight Zone time. Yesterday, someone sent me an image of an alleged Landlocked tape box label. Pretty convincing fake, have to say, but it wouldn't (or shouldn't) fool anyone here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:06 AM »

Thanks for the compliments!

The BB stuff I've done are:
SMiLE (1967 mix)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16411.0.html
SMiLE (2004 stereo mix)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16369.0.html
SMiLE Instrumentals
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16485.0.html

And then there's the Random Heroes and Villains Generator!
http://www.millerbull.com/cortex/smile/

Thanks very much, I will check them out. I can't stop listening to it, it's great!
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 05:59:20 AM »

Another must-listen from a very tasty series. I appreciate the tape box picture and the cover artwork.
Another winner! Thank you.

Looking forward to the Adult Child mix.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

Decloaking at last...in addition to Adult/Child, I'd like to make the following requests:
From A Basement on a Hill - Elliott Smith (the proposed double-LP version)
Celebration of the Lizard - The Doors (and if you have trouble getting sources on this, there's a guy named Ray in Texas who may be able to help...)
Look Back - The Beatles -this was supposed to be a volume of oldies covers culled from the Get Back sessions. Somebody seriously needs to do some heavy-duty editorial work and save anything good from the Nagras on this. Diamonds are there in the rough, but need cutting and polishing...
Surf's Up - BBs. This one would be tougher, since we don't seem to have any version of "Burlesque" anywhere.

Love your stuff. So entertaining and well-done. Somebody needs to give you a job doing this.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »

Decloaking at last...in addition to Adult/Child, I'd like to make the following requests:
From A Basement on a Hill - Elliott Smith (the proposed double-LP version)
Celebration of the Lizard - The Doors (and if you have trouble getting sources on this, there's a guy named Ray in Texas who may be able to help...)
Look Back - The Beatles -this was supposed to be a volume of oldies covers culled from the Get Back sessions. Somebody seriously needs to do some heavy-duty editorial work and save anything good from the Nagras on this. Diamonds are there in the rough, but need cutting and polishing...
Surf's Up - BBs. This one would be tougher, since we don't seem to have any version of "Burlesque" anywhere.

Love your stuff. So entertaining and well-done. Somebody needs to give you a job doing this.
Hey thanks for the Suggestions, always looking for these!

From a Basement On a Hill - This is one of my all-time favorite albums!  I would love to do this--and I already know how it would be put together as I had thought of this long ago--but are there any non-mp3-sourced bootlegs out there?  Everything I've heard were mp3s only, poorly encoded.  That's one of the prerequisites for my blog, as they need to start in a lossless form. 

Celebration of the Lizard - Lots of people have been requesting this...  But isn't this only half of an album?  I see that the entire suite was released on an anthology and the newest Waiting For The Sun remaster...  Need more information. 

Look Back - I haven't heard of that...  I did a Get Back a few years ago (it's one of the first uploads on my blog) though.  Otherwise, I don't really hear it...  In my opinion, there wasn't a lot of good material from the Get Back sessions, especially the oldies covers that were maybe half a song, with Lennon remembering maybe half the lyrics, McCartney blurting in a totally different song as a band inside-joke, George fluffing his notes but leaving Billy Preston to carry the song.  Razz

I know that Purple Chick put out a great compilation called A/B Road which is literally ALL the Nagra tapes assembled correctly.  There is also a three-disc compilation of "the best" of the Nagra tapes (as you were describing" called The River Rhine Tapes, and they are also in stereo (the compilers synced up the tapes from camera A and B to make a stereo picture!). 

I will say I have been slowly going through the entire Nagra reels (in reverse chronological order) and pulling out my favorite and most interesting pieces for my own amusement and listening "pleasure".  I had no intent to make an album out of it or anything but when and if I ever finish for the whole month (I'm only like ten days in) I could upload it for you. 

Surf's Up - You mean like an alternate Surf's Up?  That's what Landlocked is!!  Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx