gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:18:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kinks Discussion and Appreciation Thread  (Read 22745 times)
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »

Now then.... A reunion of the bruvs seems to be on the way: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/08/the-kinks-to-reform-davies
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »

Hopefully they can fire each other up again.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »

There's been reunion chatter for years but never comes to fruition.  Hard for me to understand two brothers disliking each other so much.  Then again, although I was in a band with my brother (and we did fight!) it was for only a few years and there was no arduous touring or success to poison us to one another.  If they were to do it I hope they would do it right.  Take a page from the BB's 50th and bring back surviving members and do lots of deep cuts.  The good news for fans is they would play smaller venues.  Not sure how much commercial viability they maintain at this point, although interest could be manufactured getting them in the right spotlight -- Fallon, Rolling Stone, maybe a guest spot on a sitcom -- or hey a reality show!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »

They keep saying they are going to reunite, but both brothers have gigs booked through the rest of year, so I will believe it when I see it.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:51 AM »

For all you lovely Kinks fans out there, the deluxe version of Lola. It seems like it's got some pretty cool stuff, like two unreleased songs (I think they're unbooted) and having the Percy soundtrack built into the second disc, along with extras for that album as well.

I've placed my pre-order and am quite excited for this. Probably best to grab it now before it goes out of print and costs $80, anyway.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2014, 08:32:18 AM »

Get it from the UK Bubbly - under 15 pounds. I'm looking forward to hearing the two new (old) songs from Ray's purple patch.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »

Cool find!!  I'm going to wait a week to see if they put it up on Amazon USA, if not will pay the shipping from the UK.  
This will be the first of the "new" re-re-re-release campaign for the 50th anniversary - they're getting as bad as the Who and Costello LOL.  Uncut gives a better breakdown on where these songs are coming from.  Also found out why the Sanctuary/UMC Deluxe sets went out of print so fast - BMG bought out Sanctuary in 2013.  This new deal will put them out (1964-1971, the PYE stuff) under the Sony CMG umbrella.  Now, what kind of a deal will they make to get the later records back in print?
The re-master for Lola Vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round/Percy is listed as Andrew Sandoval (did he do the Percy re-master from a few years ago?) - don't have it.  The Sanctuary titles I do have, list Andrew and Dan Hersch - with thanks to Andy Pearce (who did the mastering on 2008's Picture Book box, all by himself).  The Deluxe sets benefitted from the additional work done by Andrew and Dan.  So...is this yet another re-mastering or the same ones used for the Deluxe sets and the BBC box?  Or are they just taking off Dan and Andy Pearce's credit?  I didn't get the Arthur or Muswell Hillbillies Deluxe sets, I have the 2004 releases using the 1998 re-mastering done by Simon Heyworth (Arthur), and Bob Ludwig (Muswell Hillbillies).  Could someone who has them look and see who did the Deluxe re-masters.  The early Kinks catalogue on CD is so difficult to discuss, though Wayne Klein (an Amazon reviewer) does the best job I've found - search him out.  He has a good ear for catching mastering mistakes, such as the 1998 Arthur (corrected on the 2004 re-issue).  The 2004 Village Green Deluxe lists Nick Watson (discs one and two) and Dan Hersch (disc three), with Andrew Sandoval as mastering & reissue supervision.  Will Andrew be giving that a fresh re-master?  Will it be three discs?  Could it even be bettered?  It sounds great.
What Sanctuary did in 1998 and 2004 was tricky, adding bonus tracks to the old 1998 re-masters.  I will buy this new one (I don't have either on CD), but will do much more research before buying anything else they have planned.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »

Cool find!!  I'm going to wait a week to see if they put it up on Amazon USA, if not will pay the shipping from the UK. 
Get it from the UK Bubbly - under 15 pounds. I'm looking forward to hearing the two new (old) songs from Ray's purple patch.

I did get it from Amazon UK when it was pretty cheap: about $23.37 total.
I'm pretty sure this is import only, Will, due to differences in who owns the music in the different countries. So, get it while you still can.

I also ordered the Muswell Hillbillies set yesterday - couldn't help myself, I really like that album - so I can tell you who did the mastering when it gets here.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »

They shouldn't reunite. Dave's stroke ruined his voice, and Ray's voice is very raspy from smoking. t would sound awful. We have their amazing recorded music to enjoy. They should just reissue all their Pye music in the US with a great publicity campaign.

I think it's sadly ironic when geriatric rock stars go on tour and their younger sidemen have to do all the heavy lifting. Age doesn't need to stop anyone from making art, but there's a point when someone just loses the vitality necessary to be a charismatic performer.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »

Okay.  Ordered, but I seem to be paying $26.52.  The price after the VAT was removed covered the shipping.  The USA price on all the others I have was about $30 to $35, so that's a good deal.  And maybe they will lower it before release.  Thanks again Josh.  Better to order now in case it goes up again.
The deal with the Muswell Hillbillies...You are wise to get it.  It will have the better remastering, and you don't have the BBC or Picture Book boxes that have some of those bonus tracks.  For me, I'm only missing a few tracks I don't have.  But not that fantastic demo for "Nobody's Fool."  One of these days he might even agree to release the studio version by Cold Turkey (really the Kinks).  Also my 2004 release is SACD/DSD, and includes "Mountain Woman" and "Kentucky Moon."
This new Lola Vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round/Percy has loads of stuff I don't have on CD.  Ray only picked three Percy tracks for Picture Book.  And this will have among it's treasure, the mono 45 versions of "Lola" "Apeman" and "Rats."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:51:25 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »

They shouldn't reunite. Dave's stroke ruined his voice, and Ray's voice is very raspy from smoking. t would sound awful. We have their amazing recorded music to enjoy. They should just reissue all their Pye music in the US with a great publicity campaign.

I think it's sadly ironic when geriatric rock stars go on tour and their younger sidemen have to do all the heavy lifting. Age doesn't need to stop anyone from making art, but there's a point when someone just loses the vitality necessary to be a charismatic performer.
I didn't know Ray was a smoker, but last time I heard him he sounded fine. Dave doesn't sound as good as he did before the stroke, but I still want to see/hear them together. Both have toured doing essentially a Kinks greatest hits show, so why not do those songs together?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »

I saw a documentary on Dave a year or so back and while he spoke very slowly in the interviews, as soon as he started to sing his vocal delivery seemed to speed up.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

I checked out what I could of the new Muswell Hillbillies Deluxe.
"Lavender Lane" - looking at the lyrics you get the feel of Preservation, an Act I type song.  But the theme isn't too far away from Something Else era either.  Then I played the track.  It's melody is all Terry and Julie...you can sing "Waterloo Sunset" lyrics along with it.  Easy to see why it was never released.  Ray is using the quavering (vibrato) vocal style he was developing for tracks like "Mirror of Love."
"Have a Cuppa Tea" (alt. version) (3:32) - From 1971, not too different than the long-player.  Rocks a bit more with the piano up in the mix - this would probably grow on me.
"Uncle Son" (alt. version) - A country blues.  Sounds very American, influenced by Garth Hudson's organ sound.  Sure wouldn't mind having this one.
"Nobody's Fool" (demo) - Already said, this is the prize track on this set.  Shows how deep they had to look to come up with tracks for the Deluxe.  Ray did the fans a boner not putting the studio version here.  This one has fewer added tracks than any of the other sets in this, now ended series.  I say that, but maybe Sanctuary will get the next set - the RCA albums (Muswell was the first RCA album in both USA and UK).  I haven't seen any confirmation, but there is no other album I want next more than Everybody's in Show-Biz, my favorite of all the RCA records.  I want them to expand the live disc to a full show.  The BBC box added "Have a Cuppa Tea" from the Whistle Test tv show, and ten tracks from the Rainbow (31 January)video, and four audio tracks - but that's it from 1972.  Except...the bonus tracks tacked on to EIS-Biz re-issue CD are from the same Carnegie Hall shows (2 & 3 March, 1972) used on the long-player.  I want more of those...they were smoking those nights.  For those who don't know, that tour was the Muswell tour.  Every track they played from Muswell (and LVPATMGR save "Lola") was bettered.  A Lot!  We'll see.  All the RCA records deserve Deluxe treatments as far as I am concerned, with DVDs included from the tours (plenty of that up on youtube).  okay back on topic - just a thrill to contemplate what they might have left in the vaults...
20th Century Man (inst. version) - Only here, can't find it on youtube.  The edit (5:02) and "Muswell Hillbillies" (edit - 3:48) here have been released before.  On Celluloid Heroes 1976 vinyl version only.  When they released that on CD, they changed it drastically (eliminating all the rare edits and alt versions).  
"Queenie" - Only on this Deluxe.  Can't find it either.  It is a Ray original, but only the backing track is available here.
The BBC tracks from 5 May, 1972 are all on the box.  You Kinks lovers should really save up and get the BBC box.
So, of some intrest.  I'll keep it on my wish list.  It's about $20 right now, plus ship.  You know, I don't buy from the UK unless they won't put a listing on AmazonUSA, but I wonder if the merchant sellers include the VAT in the UK listings.
My comment on the Kinks getting back out to tour is... okay, as long as they do as Ray wants - make a new record.  I have heard them both sing, and with the wizardry of technology it would probably sound good.  Ray's solo records sure do.  My choices for the side-men... Mick and the Johns - Dalton and Gosling.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:51:45 PM by feelsflow » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »

Cool info, thanks, Will.
Muswell arrived yesterday and, while I haven't listened to the second disc yet, it's packaged very nicely and has a thick, detailed booklet. I wonder what the new reissues will be like, since they will be put out by different record companies.

Also, this is a new thing: link. It looks really nice, but it appears to be Region 2 only, so we'll have to wait and hope for a U.S. release.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:36:49 PM by eh » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »

The link only takes you to amazon UK, but I figured out what your looking at.  I would wait to order that.  I see there is one for the Beatles too.  Dave has been involved with this kind of thing for years.  Okay if you want four DVDs of critics just sitting around reviewing their career, but what's the point really?  It doesn't say anything about concerts or music in any way.  But the stuff up on YouTube of the early 70's tours shows they have plenty to put out, but I'm sure Dave and Ray, and maybe the others would all have to settle on a deal.  I hope they can, would love to see it on the big screen and in the best sound possible (YouTube is not too good for sound).
I saw the BBC box for 40 pounds the other day on Amazon UK, and part of that may be the VAT.  They have to remove that if it ships to America.  Stick it in a Cart and take a look.  You can always back out before punching place order.  The DVD that comes with the BBC box makes the set worth 40 pounds.  It's several hours of footage.  Some of it is on YouTube.
Speaking of...now that you have Muswell, upload "Queenie" - I'd like to hear it.  Still debating if I should get it or not.
Okay, let me get going...My Saturday Listening Party is starting soon.  I saw you got the Hard Days Night Blu-ray, we watched that last Saturday - great isn't it?  I got in the new Southwest/Sandman import by Herb Pedersen and CSN&Y Blu-ray for tonight, but that's so long...we'll never get all the way through.  take care buddy, Will

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:51 AM »

For all you lovely Kinks fans out there, the deluxe version of Lola. It seems like it's got some pretty cool stuff, like two unreleased songs (I think they're unbooted) and having the Percy soundtrack built into the second disc, along with extras for that album as well.

I've placed my pre-order and am quite excited for this. Probably best to grab it now before it goes out of print and costs $80, anyway.
Now up on Amazon USA for $30 (couldn't get the link to work, these Amazon links just go ...at the end - so incomplete).  Keeping my UK pre-order for now, as it's still cheaper to order from the UK.  Will keep an eye on it.
EDIT:  $28.47 today, 26 July.  This may be getting more pre-orders in the states than the UK.  Something is driving the price down.
http://amazon.com/Lola-Versus-Powerman-Moneygoround-Deluxe/dp/B00LYTMY/ref=sr_1_3?...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:07:23 AM by feelsflow » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »

30 July, 2014 NEW Lola Deluxe price in the USA at Amazon is $22.99.  It's probably not going any lower than that.
Add something to your cart to get it up to $35 and you get free ship.
This takes it below the UK price, which doesn't seem to be changing.  Still 14.49 pounds (With VAT).  Vat removed = $26.52 (including ship).  You can leave both in pre-order and see if the UK goes down until mid-August before having to decide which to cancel.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »

too bad i just bought Lola a few months ago
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »

30 July, 2014 NEW Lola Deluxe price in the USA at Amazon is $22.99.  It's probably not going any lower than that.
Add something to your cart to get it up to $35 and you get free ship.
This takes it below the UK price, which doesn't seem to be changing.  Still 14.49 pounds (With VAT).  Vat removed = $26.52 (including ship).  You can leave both in pre-order and see if the UK goes down until mid-August before having to decide which to cancel.
Oh yes...it has!  This must be getting big pre-orders in America, I've never seen one dip below twenty bucks.
5 August, new price:  $19.88
Amazon UK is still listed as 14.49 pounds. 
I love getting quality product at low prices.  I have cancelled my UK order.
Not getting much response with my updates, so this will be the last time I bump this thread.  Gabo, too bad you already got this.  For you, and I'm sure many others, the old CD will do.  I want CD sound to approach the quality of vinyl.  So far the Deluxe editions have done just that.  For me, it's something I waited to get re-mastered - as I have a vinyl copy to listen to, and that one lone bonus cut never tempted me to buy.  I never bought Percy, so am looking forward to hearing that.  All Kinks material is worth hearing.  That one always got a bad rap, but what I have heard is great.  I like instrumentals.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »

The US price has still got to come down a few more dollars to beat what I'm paying for it on the UK site. I got lucky with my price, I guess.
By the way, Will, I totally forgot to send you "Queenie." Sorry about that. Check your private messages.
Little Pad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 03:03:46 AM »

I only just got into them within the last year or so, despite being a Beatles/Beach Boys/Stones etc. fan for 10+ years (I'm 22). Village Green has quickly become one of my favourite albums.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »

One of my favourite Kinks songs called "Village Green" from the '68 album; 'The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society'----brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320yV68ab5c
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2015, 12:39:03 AM »

I actually dig their comeback era from Sleepwalker through Word Of Mouth!
We all agree that their 60's stuff is classic, but I grew up with the latter day Kinks music, so it's the stuff I have the most personal attachment to. I remember driving around in the summer with the State of Confusion cassette playing in a friend's car, still one of the best albums they ever did.

So glad to hear appreciation for the later stuff, as it's my personal favorite era, too! I like their entire discography, but have a special place in my heart for the later era! From the late 70's to when they stopped in 1996, you'll find a lot of emotionally powerful, intelligent and fun lyrics to go with great music, from both Ray and Dave!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »

We all agree that their 60's stuff is classic, but I grew up with the latter day Kinks music, so it's the stuff I have the most personal attachment to. I remember driving around in the summer with the State of Confusion cassette playing in a friend's car, still one of the best albums they ever did.

So glad to hear appreciation for the later stuff, as it's my personal favorite era, too! I like their entire discography, but have a special place in my heart for the later era! From the late 70's to when they stopped in 1996, you'll find a lot of emotionally powerful, intelligent and fun lyrics to go with great music, from both Ray and Dave!
Agreed. I often find myself thinking of a Kinks song through the work day, and it's often one of the later ones. Lately, I have been enjoying Ray's Return to Waterloo soundtrack. Little notice was paid to that album back in 85, because it wasn't a Kinks album (even though Avory, Rodford and Gibbins played on it), and it was music from a film very few people saw. Great songs, though, and proved that Ray could be a very good guitarist when he didn't have his brother to lean on.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

Agreed. I often find myself thinking of a Kinks song through the work day, and it's often one of the later ones. Lately, I have been enjoying Ray's Return to Waterloo soundtrack. Little notice was paid to that album back in 85, because it wasn't a Kinks album (even though Avory, Rodford and Gibbins played on it), and it was music from a film very few people saw. Great songs, though, and proved that Ray could be a very good guitarist when he didn't have his brother to lean on.

Yes, I loved "Return to Waterloo."  As I recall there was some overlap with a Kinks LP ("Word of Mouth"?).  "Missing Persons" was a heart tugging standout, but the whole album hung together well, better than Kinks LPs of the period to my mind.  Interesting film as well.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx