gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:33:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kinks Discussion and Appreciation Thread  (Read 22757 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »

I did a quick search on the board and couldn't find a proper topic dedicated to just general Kinks discussion. Thus one was needed!

So anyway, The Kinks, probably one of the most under appreciated groups of all time outside of the few known hits! What would you say is their best era? Best album? What needs to be released, and what do you find sets them apart from everyone else?

I always find the favourite album question a tough call, but usually answer the question with Arthur. Shangri-La is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard by anyone, and is there a more carefree song than Drivin'? And the Beach Boys references in Australia are something I clearly appreciate.

Anything from Kontroversy up to Muswell Hillbilles is pure gold, and there's still some great stuff beyond that. Sleepwalker is a hidden gem for sure!

I was also lucky enough to be at Ray's 'Mastertapes' Interview/Acoustic Show for Radio 4 at the end of last year, which was certainly a bizarre experience to have him sat there in his trainers and unkempt wollen fleece. Great as ever though.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »

Their best era, I would say, definitely has to be 65-71. As much as I love The Village Green Preservation Society, my favorite album would have to be Something Else by The Kinks.. by the Kinks; first album of theirs I listened to.

I have Arthur and I've listened to it once or twice, but I wasn't really grabbed by it like I was the other two albums I own. I'll have to give it more tries, I s'pose.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:34:49 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

my favorite album would have to be Something Else by The Kinks.. by the Kinks; .

This is the one.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »

The Kinks best album is probably Village Green. But I think they have many VERY underrated albums in the 70s, especially Soap Opera and Low Budget.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »

Dave Davies has recovered sufficiently enough from his stroke that he played some small solo gigs earlier in 2013 and is going on another short solo tour in November.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »

Their best era, I would say, definitely has to be 65-71. As much as I love The Village Green Preservation Society, my favorite album would have to be Something Else by The Kinks.. by the Kinks; first album of theirs I listened to.

I have Arthur and I've listened to it once or twice, but I wasn't really grabbed by it like I was the other two albums I own. I'll hive to give it more tries, I s'pose.

I  like Something Else a lot but I think Dave's tracks dilutes it. His songs just aren't as good as Ray's. I play Village Green much more than Something Else, but both are excellent.

GOD SAVE THE KINKS

Besides Village Green and Something Else, I only have The Essential Collection. I will probably buy Muswell next, because of the track Have A Cuppa Tea, which I don't already own.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:06:16 PM by Gabo » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Can it be? http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/04/kinks-tour-2014-ray-dave-davies

I would love to see a reunion, hopefully it would also include Mick Avory, Jim Rodford, and Ian Gibbons.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:34:45 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »

My favourite era of the Kinks would be the 1986 to 1993 with their last great albums..... said NO ONE EVER!

In all seriousness, their best era was from 1964 to 1971, some of their albums from that era are just brilliant. But I like the hit singles the most
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:37:55 AM »

Ray said it best at the interview I saw:

"No group failed, time and time again, as much as The Kinks"

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »

Ray said it best at the interview I saw:

"No group failed, time and time again, as much as The Kinks"

Yeah, it's pretty sad from about 1968 on the band was commercially dead in the water, aside from the occasional hit like "Lola."

I really feel like The Kinks need to reissue their music in the US and go on a big advertizing blitz. It's time for The Kinks to become accepted by a wider audience outside of the UK.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

Man, The Kinks are such an odd group, and I love 'em. Their albums from 65-71 are fantastic."Village Green Preservation Society" is one of those rare albums that I can pick up and listen to at any time. It reminds me a lot of "Friends", another album I can listen to without having to be in a 'mood' or whatever. And don't even get me started on their singles. "Autumn Almanac" and "Waterloo Sunset" were probably two of the best singles of '67. Even after the concept albums started, they could still churn out a pretty good song or two. Good gracious. The story of the Kinks truly is a long and bumpy one.  God Save the Kinks indeed.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty sad from about 1968 on the band was commercially dead in the water, aside from the occasional hit like "Lola."

Not necessarily.  The Low Budget and State of Confusion albums were actually pretty big hits.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »

I have Arthur and I've listened to it once or twice, but I wasn't really grabbed by it like I was the other two albums I own. I'll hive to give it more tries, I s'pose.

I disagree 100%. I always looked forward to those Dave tracks on the albums. Not nearly as prolific as Ray, but the contrast in their writing styles is one of the things I love about the group. That and those harmonies.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »

I actually dig their comeback era from Sleepwalker through Word Of Mouth!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of my all time favorite albums.

Also Picture Book is brilliant.

That is all.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 05:11:55 AM »

Fun fact:
Picture Book - The Kinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaah-T0PBD0
Warning - Green Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBU6gOlgR4

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »

Da Dirty Rip Offs.  LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »

Lola is actually one of my all-time favorite albums by anyone ever!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »

I actually dig their comeback era from Sleepwalker through Word Of Mouth!
We all agree that their 60's stuff is classic, but I grew up with the latter day Kinks music, so it's the stuff I have the most personal attachment to. I remember driving around in the summer with the State of Confusion cassette playing in a friend's car, still one of the best albums they ever did.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

Proof that post classic Kinks still could eat the average band for breakfast. Dave is God here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzjoqpTqSR4

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »

Have discussed the Kinks on many a Beach Boys message board, pointing out the similarities between the two great(est) bands.  For starters, Ray and Brian have  the same middle name  Wink.  But more to the point, siblings in the band, early commercial burst followed by horrible sales in what many consider their peak years artistically, years of touring lead to crack live performing, then followed by a resurgence of popularity in mid-70s to early/mid 80s.  Both bands should be considered and rewarded as in the very top pantheon of bands (Beatles/Stones/Who/Zep etc.) but for various reasons -- including a nonpareil ability for self sabotage -- that is nowhere near the case.

And yet they are my very two favorite bands.  Partially because of a great vulnerability, whimsy, and gentle strength at the heart of their greatest songs and performances.  Which isn't to say that they couldn't rock, cos they could.

One of my first LPs was the "Kinks Greatest Hits", with "All Day and All of the Night" and all that and it blew my mind.  I caught up again after seeing them live in '74 touring behind the fairly lame "Soap Opera", but whatta show.  I then was able to get "Kinks Kronikles" (where to start) and then discover "Something Else", Arthur", "Village Green" and so forth.  My vote for the great ignored Kinks album would be "Schoolboys in Disgrace."  Pretty much every LP in their latter days has at least a few good to great tracks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:30:26 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »

The Kinks have a BIG anniversary coming up. Like The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones, they are set to go "where no rock band have gone before" - the big 50. Hope we see Dave, Ray, Mick Avory, and assorted Kinks from over the years on tour in 2014!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

I'm not holding my breath - Dave and Mick never liked each other, and still don't want to work together; Dave thinks he and Ray should tour again, but doesn't want to be locked up in a studio 24/7 with his older brother; Ray, on the other hand, doesn't want to do a reunion unless there is new music involved.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

Somehow I think they'll find a way. Dave's dislike of Mick Avory has always annoyed me, btw.

As always, God Save The Kinks.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »

I'm not holding my breath - Dave and Mick never liked each other, and still don't want to work together; Dave thinks he and Ray should tour again, but doesn't want to be locked up in a studio 24/7 with his older brother; Ray, on the other hand, doesn't want to do a reunion unless there is new music involved.

That's funny because Ray's talked recently about some ongoing "pet" project he and Mick have going on.

I saw Dave play in LA many years ago and someone yelled out "Waterloo Sunset" and Dave said "Ray wrote that one: the c***" ..... But then he did a gorgeous version of it all by himself.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx