-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443623 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »

I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »

I'm a big fan of Edgar Wright

Great to find out. Which one do you feel is his best movie?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »

It'd come down to Hot Fuzz vs Scott Pilgrim.

I think the directing on Scott Pilgrim is a much bigger part of what makes it a great movie compared to Hot Fuzz, which is great cuz Simon Pegg ^^

So I'll say Scott Pilgrim

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »

Agreed, Scott Pilgrim is just insane directing-wise. All over the place in a good way.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:34:50 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »

I can't see the 1st film poster. I tried to copy/paste the image link in another tab to see what it is, but still nothing. So, Rei?

Oh. Well it's Office Space.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »

"Office Space"? Interesting title. Have you seen anything new in the cinema/bought DVD with newish films? Any horror you can recommend?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »

I can't see the 1st film poster. I tried to copy/paste the image link in another tab to see what it is, but still nothing. So, Rei?

Did you like it? I've never really gotten that one...though I think Mike Judge's new TV-show, Silicon Valley, is just brilliant.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »

Halfway through Oculus.... So far so good.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »

"Office Space"? Interesting title. Have you seen anything new in the cinema/bought DVD with newish films? Any horror you can recommend?

Lately, not really. In terms of Horror, it's a genre that doesn't interest me. Though my favourite Horror film would have to be Carrie.

Did you like it? I've never really gotten that one...though I think Mike Judge's new TV-show, Silicon Valley, is just brilliant.

I loved it. Really funny, especially the scenes featuring Milton. Idiocracy's another great film that's lately gained a cult following. Extract I didn't like as much, though it's quite good in it's own right. So far overall, really like Mike Judge's work (TV and Film). Haven't seen Silicon Valley yet, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »

My favorite movie would either be The Last Waltz (ofc) or Stop Making Sense

So good.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »

Watched The Breakfast Club last night and thought it was stunning. I'd been a long-time fan of Ferris Bueller's Day Off but for some reason I kept postponing watching more John Hughes movies. But I'm glad I did, cause this was on a whole other level.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:49 AM »

In terms of Horror, it's a genre that doesn't interest me.
Well, you're missing out on getting lots of fun & adrenaline, just in 1 & half hours. Okay, as you visited Japan, did you like anime, any favorites. To me, I find all of it the same & helplessly boring. ...Except for Pokemon, but I suspect it's more to do with nostalgia for my 10 y.o. self. Even then I was into Americana.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:49:46 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »

In terms of Horror, it's a genre that doesn't interest me.
Well, you're missing out on getting lots of fun & adrenaline, just in 1 & half hours. Okay, as you visited Japan, did you like anime, any favorites. To me, I find all of it the same & helplessly boring. ...Except for Pokemon, but I suspect it's more to do with nostalgia for my 10 y.o. self. Even then I was into Americana.

With a few exceptions, Horror doesn't interest me. Instead of scaring me or entertaining me, it generally bores me.

Not much for Anime, though I really like Death Note, and I don't mind the original series of Naruto. For nostalgic reasons mainly, I have a strong soft spot for Doraemon and Shinchan (Though I doubt if you've heard of either one). As for Pokemon, I still love the old games, up to Diamond and Pearl. But never cared for the Anime itself.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »

For nostalgic reasons mainly, I have a strong soft spot for Doraemon and Shinchan (Though I doubt if you've heard of either one).
You're right, I never heard of 'em. But I'm sure my 13-year-old cousin knows them, he's kind of obsessed with anime games & cartoons. And he too likes Naruto (he actually forced me to see some of it).

As for Pokemon, I still love the old games, up to Diamond and Pearl. But never cared for the Anime itself.
What kind of games they are? I mean the rules & aim.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:42 AM »

For nostalgic reasons mainly, I have a strong soft spot for Doraemon and Shinchan (Though I doubt if you've heard of either one).
You're right, I never heard of 'em. But I'm sure my 13-year-old cousin knows them, he's kind of obsessed with anime games & cartoons. And he too likes Naruto (he actually forced me to see some of it).

As for Pokemon, I still love the old games, up to Diamond and Pearl. But never cared for the Anime itself.
What kind of games they are? I mean the rules & aim.

Doubtful, as they are only really available in Japan.

This'll give you a good idea on the main game series:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/Pokemon
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »

Rei, have you seen any western films? I have an impression you might. I wanna see some good classic western, but where to start... Any tips?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »

Rei, have you seen any western films? I have an impression you might. I wanna see some good classic western, but where to start... Any tips?

I've only really seen Blazing Saddles (a classic), Back To The Future III (another classic), Wild Wild West (Didn't see the whole movie, but really liked what I saw) and Rango (Didn't care for it).
Western isn't a genre I'm really familiar with.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:43:02 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »

Clint Eastwood.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2014, 03:24:01 AM »

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2014, 07:14:33 AM »

Clint Eastwood.

Clint Eastwood isn't really a classic Western star, as he started in the '60s during the beginnings of the Western's revisionist phase.  Some recommendations for classical Westerns:

Stagecoach: Often called the quintessential western
My Darling Clementine: The best of the "gunfight at the O.K. Corral" cycle
Red River: A terrific epic Western about a cattle drive.  John Wayne's best performance (IMO), and great chemistry between him and Monty Clift.
Winchester '73: The first great western of Anthony Mann, probably my personal favorite Western director.  His films tend to treat "the West" in a much more abstract and elemental sense than, say John Ford, in that there's less of a sense of a specific point in history than that of "man against the elements," or of using the environment as a way of expressing internal, psychological struggles.  Also a great Jimmy Stewart performance.
The Naked Spur: Another great Anthony Mann western with Jimmy Stewart.
The Searchers: Probably the turning point from classical Westerns to revisionist ones.  Another great John Wayne performance.
Man of the West: In my opinion, the best of the Anthony Mann westerns and probably my favorite film in the genre.  Really the pinnacle of using the Western landscape to project an internal, psychological struggle onto, and a great Gary Cooper performance.
Rio Bravo: Made as a kind of reaction against High Noon (which many people mistake for a good movie), this film deals primarily with the relationship between the self-respecting, individualistic Western hero archetypes and the community that they form.  Which admittedly a lot of Westerns do, but this one does it better than most of them.
Ride Lonesome: My favorite Budd Boetticher film, a B-movie director who was kind of like the low-rent Anthony Mann.  Seriously, though, this movie has some of the best dialogue I've ever heard.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: Like The Searchers, a film lying somewhere between being a classical and revisionist Western dealing with the way that history gets transformed into legend.  Not a personal favorite so much as an important entry in the genre.

When you've seen all of those, then start on the Sergio Leone/Sam Peckinpah revisionist Westerns of the '60s and '70s (which are also great).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »

Once Upon A Time In The West is a fantastic western.

Also, the remake and original of True Grit are fantastic movies.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »

Once Upon A Time In The West is a fantastic western.

Once Upon a Time is not only a fantastic western, it's one of the greatest movies ever made. It has brought me to tears. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly is another great Leone film. Not as good as West, but great nevertheless.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:13:19 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »

These edits are always so vexing!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: