gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:29:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ouch!....Al Opens Up Again.  (Read 24485 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/09/26/one-track-mind-the-beach-boys-al-jardine-on-help-me-rhonda-dont-fight-the-sea-sloop-john-b-others/

On the latest tour with Brian.

....And you’re going to hear those things in their original style when you come to our concerts. You have the architect of the music up there, and you have original Beach Boys voices. What else can you ask? This is as close as we can get to it, minus a couple of upstarts — or one particular upstart — and, unfortunately, Carl and Dennis, who can’t be with us.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »

Distinct lack of grace. All rather sad, really.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »

Not really! It's a nice plainspoken interview and there's nothing sad about this tour, even without That Other Guy... The upstart missed out.

Brian's recent tact is probably better: "no comment."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

Why does the thread title start with "Ouch!" ?  I don't see any "ouch" statements by Al during the brief interview.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

You must've missed the explosive bombshell about Sean Lennon.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »

Go Al! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

So, Al arranged "Sloop John B" for Pet Sounds?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

So, Al arranged "Sloop John B" for Pet Sounds?

Oh, c'mon now. He's careful to credit Brian with expanding it and bringing all the good stuff:

"He took my arrangement, after I changed the chord structure to fit the Beach Boys’ style. I told him: “This is something that we could put our style on, and we could have ourselves a pretty big hit.” He took it to heart, and we expanded on the concept. It was just the great template of a song. Brian never fails to amaze. He’s just got a sixth sense for this stuff."

Claiming he had a template isn't saying he arranged it for Pet Sounds. If he wants to think he helped inspire it, gee what's the harm there. He's not asking for a few million dollars in court.

Besides, the next person in this thread will mention Wilson's home recordings of the tune.

Anyway, Al needs to save his energy for taking credit for the White Album this fall.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:37:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »

Not really! It's a nice plainspoken interview and there's nothing sad about this tour, even without That Other Guy... The upstart missed out.

For sure - Alan's comign across as a bitter and petty-minded little man.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »

Really?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »

All the digs at Mike, not mentioning him by name, "we're the heart and soul of The Beach Boys"... so childish. Just STFU and let the music speak for you.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »

Mike has screwed Al over so many times that its not suprising that Al is like this.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »

Why? Because he has one very brief slight dig at Mike's expense (if it can even be called that)?

I thought he came across as enthusiastic and proud to be a Beach Boy as always...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

Besides, perhaps its time we all stopped fighting it and just accepted the truth: maybe Mike is an arsehole.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:59:22 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »

Why does the thread title start with "Ouch!" ?  I don't see any "ouch" statements by Al during the brief interview.

As AGD said, all very undignified from Al and not the first time. He's burning his bridges with Mike and I wouldn't be surprised if he dishes the dirt on the goings on during the C50 and the aftermath at some point.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »

I see now how it can get tiring to work with Al most of the year for three and a half decades. Whew, time to meditate...

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »

All the digs at Mike, not mentioning him by name, "we're the heart and soul of The Beach Boys"... so childish. Just STFU and let the music speak for you.

I think it's worth mentioning that they are essentially The Beach Boys.  You know how many people are being fooled by Mike Love's "Beach Boys"?  Probably a crapload of people going to those shows, I'd wager.  He gets the name--BAD has to prove that they are the ones who deserve it.  And I don't think they can rely on the music to speak for them when the general public--and probably even the general audience of a "Beach Boys" show--aren't even aware that there are two bands!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »

I think it's worth mentioning that they are essentially The Beach Boys.  You know how many people are being fooled by Mike Love's "Beach Boys"?  Probably a crapload of people going to those shows, I'd wager.  He gets the name--BAD has to prove that they are the ones who deserve it.  And I don't think they can rely on the music to speak for them when the general public--and probably even the general audience of a "Beach Boys" show--aren't even aware that there are two bands!

No, they're not. Neither group are The Beach Boys obviously. It can't really be The Beach Boys if 4 key members are missing.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »

Al can say whatever he likes. Unless you know exactly what has gone down the last 20 odd years, its pretty rich telling him to STFU.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »

Mike has screwed Al over so many times that its not suprising that Al is like this.

Right.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »

At least his digs are put in a nice way. He could have flat out called him an asshole or worse. I am quite convinced at this point that more went down at the end of C50 than Mike just going back to the status quo. Wondering now if some verbal promises or whatever were broken last minute.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »

Or did Al screw himself over and he blames Mike?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

I cant help but feeling Al is gonna screw up any chance of a nother reunion..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »

I cant help but feeling Al is gonna screw up any chance of a nother reunion..
Nope, money cures all bad feelings, especially in the Beach Boys. Nothing Al has said is worse than Brian accusing Mike of firing the 3 of them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

As AGD said, all very undignified from Al and not the first time. He's burning his bridges with Mike and I wouldn't be surprised if he dishes the dirt on the goings on during the C50 and the aftermath at some point.

Let him! Al can say whatever he wants short of slander. It's gettin' real late in the game here - water's already under the bridge and we're headed for the finish line. Either sh*t or get off the pot. The 3 or 4 REAL Beach Boys are going into the studio to make a record and Mike can't put his name on it. It's Mike's problem if he and Bruce the Coattail Rider can't get their sh*t together and join forces. This is good for the fans. We got a big gun named Jeff Beck. And we got Blondie Chaplin. Can't go wrong with this band, at least for the short term!

Mike kicked Al outta the band and he sued him AND Brian. Seems like they got past their differences to do the C50 and then Mike bailed. Al's had enough bullshit and so has Brian. I find it hard to blame those guys.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:53:37 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx