gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:01:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 109599 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »

To me, the comparisons to "Wild Honey" and "Carl and the Passions" would suggest less harmonies.
And maybe single-tracked leads. Smiley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »

Or maybe it means the new album is going to contain lots of songs reminiscent of "Make It Good" and "Mama Says". Grin
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »

Or maybe it means the new album is going to contain lots of songs reminiscent of "Make It Good" and "Mama Says". Grin

That would suit me fine, particularly the latter!

Though seriously, I agree with John Manning and I don't really put much credence in the comparison.

Incidentally, it irks me that an album I'm interested in is delayed to coincide with a film I'm not interested in. But that's life I suppose.

Please delete my account
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2014, 04:42:25 PM »

To me, the comparisons to "Wild Honey" and "Carl and the Passions" would suggest less harmonies.

Indeed.  Or the Wild Honey (and even, to some degree, CATP) comparison may suggest a more soulful album--this wouldn't be a surprise considering the resurgence of neo-soul in pop.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »

Maybe he's comparing it to them in that the album is going to be very damn short.

I'm kidding. I think.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »

Hopefully he means it's going to be Rock & Roll Rhythm & Blues.  Blue-Eyed Soul if you will.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »

Suspect though that Joe Thomas is quite astute… he'll have read (or been informed) that the usual comparisons of new music to Pet Sounds material just don't wash with the fans anymore (as seen on this board in recent months) and alighted on a couple more hardcore favourites with which to draw comparisons and get the fans salivating unreservedly.

I suspect it's a mere marketing ploy… the next album after this will probably be compared to Beach Boys Today and Sunflower…

Joe and I don't really play these type of games with one another, or with the fans.  He was quite passionate about Brian's new work during our conversation.  I did not sense at any tome that he was trying to come up with new ways to get me (or anyone else) excited.  Joe was excited.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »

Joe was excited.

yes, during the conversation his voice rose and fell in exact semitone increments.
Nicko1234
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »

Joe was excited.

yes, during the conversation his voice rose and fell in exact semitone increments.

LOL
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »

Not that you can trust ANYTHING that Brian says (or anyone in this whole scheme of things, honestly), but when I asked Brian during his Q&A thing if there were similarities to Friends and Sunflower in his new stuff, he said something like "well, yeah, just in the harmonies". I'm thinking it'll sound similar to Brian's other solo works of the past decade. I mean, you can definitely tell a modern BW record, whether it's Lucky Old Sun, Gershwin, whatever....by the sound-traits. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something that fits in neatly with everything else that is considered canon. I wouldn't mind, either, if the material is good and Brian sings it well.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »

Joe was excited.

With robotic metallic overtones....  LOL
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:33:48 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »

Hey, someone told me they were talking about me over at a Beach Boys message board? That's cool but I never said anything about wild honey. But yeah, my R&B krazy style is so tough, so yeah! You lost me on that stuff about the "semitone increments" and "metallic overtones" though. Anyway, Morning Phase isn't really my type of jam so I'll leave you guys to that. Check me out on Twitter! New album drops THIS SUMMER!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »

Oh, and one more thing, that ESQ Editor dude is telling it like it is...I don't play games with the fans. Be cool.

Subscribe to my Facebook page and enter a contest to win a free copy of my new album THIS SUMMER! THis one's gonna sound a lot like an old fan favorite!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »

I'm surprised that nobody noticed this post in the ESQ thread.

From the BW site....

curt lambert 

Posted 03/16   #1   

The new issue of ESQ has some exciting tidbits from Joe Thomas about Brian's new album. He gives a taste of one song entitled "Sail Away" including a chorus lyric. Thomas says the vibe of the new music is not along the lines of "TWGMTR", but more akin to a "Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions/So Tough" style. He says Brian is working in a higher gear and being very creative. Sounds incredible to me! 

I'm counting the minutes for this album

It's just a shame devil Thomas is involved

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »

I hope the new album is not auto-tuned. 
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »

I hope the new tunes are not auto-albumed.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »

Here's to hoping that the comparisons of the new album to Wild Honey and CatP are less apt than the comparisons of TWGMTR to Pet Sounds were. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »

Here's to hoping that the comparisons of the new album to Wild Honey and CatP are less apt than the comparisons of TWGMTR to Pet Sounds were. 

That was Al, blame him for that comment.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »

From Brian's official Facebook page:

Paul Von Mertens conducting the Empanada Strings with Peter Kent yesterday at Ocean Way Recording in Los Angeles, for Brian's upcoming album. (thanks Paul for the photo)

AND MORE:

Brian at the helm yesterday at Ocean Way Recording in L.A. Who's looking forward to the upcoming album?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:49:50 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »

Many here dont seem too excited but I'm delighted that we have a new BW album on the way. Why would anyone who posts here not be? You cant beat the excitement of that first listen to brians latest creation.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2014, 02:41:04 PM »

From Brian's official Facebook page:

Paul Von Mertens conducting the Empanada Strings with Peter Kent yesterday at Ocean Way Recording in Los Angeles, for Brian's upcoming album. (thanks Paul for the photo)

AND MORE:

Brian at the helm yesterday at Ocean Way Recording in L.A. Who's looking forward to the upcoming album?

I gotta say - that pic of Brian has got to be one of the best pics I've seen of him in a WHILE.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »

Many here dont seem too excited but I'm delighted that we have a new BW album on the way. Why would anyone who posts here not be? You cant beat the excitement of that first listen to brians latest creation.

There has been talk of a new album for a long time now, and nothing new has really surfaced....I think this is why there is a lull in the enthusiasm. Once some audio previews become available I think this place will be brimming with excitement.

It's very encouraging to see a room full of string players...Can't wait to hear what they're working on!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »

Brian's looking really good in that picture.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

Brian's looking really good in that picture.

He really is looking great. Looks like the Brian of 1965, just older.

I'm not gonna lie, I was getting kinda nervous last year because he was looking really old in some of the photos they were posting. But what I've seen lately he looks better than he has in years.

And lastly, yeah it's funny we're talking so much about Brian's appearance, like this is a Lady Gaga forum or something.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:43:37 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx