gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681302 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 01:34:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 110365 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

Could it be the album is a turkey like GIOMH and they are trying to salvage it before release.......not to sound negative or anything.... Roll Eyes

Shane?   So famous he is known by a single name and can be counted among the elite: Sting, Cher, Bono, Beyonce, Lassie, Dracula, Popeye, and Lulu.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »

I'm a little confused by Jeff Beck's statements.

Beck refers to unfinished or half finished tracks. I understand that and don't doubt that. However, I thought Jeff Beck's remaining job/role was to provide guitar to those tracks. Not to diminish Jeff Beck's talent, but couldn't somebody in Brian's band - or a hired hand - provide the lead guitar parts? Or, is Beck insinuating that he was going to contribute to the CONTINUED COMPOSING of the unfinished tracks? Not that that would surprise me....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »

I misinterpreted that whole quote. I thought he meant he had 3-4 songs left to work on. If no tracks were actually completed, that is disheartening.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Brian has a lot on his plate with the biopic going on. Remember, he is listed as a producer and there may be actual things to do connected to that, including the post-production phase. If there is supposed to be a double length album, then that may have been overreaching if he can't finish the tracks he already started. You would think Capitol would want product from him, but maybe they don't care. Where is Joe Thomas in all of this?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »

Brian has a lot on his plate with the biopic going on. Remember, he is listed as a producer and there may be actual things to do connected to that, including the post-production phase. If there is supposed to be a double length album, then that may have been overreaching if he can't finish the tracks he already started. You would think Capitol would want product from him, but maybe they don't care. Where is Joe Thomas in all of this?

1 - I don't think Brian's involvement with the bio pic goes beyond advisory.

2 - Care to show me where anyone other than a fan said the album will be a double ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Beck refers to unfinished or half finished tracks. I understand that and don't doubt that. However, I thought Jeff Beck's remaining job/role was to provide guitar to those tracks. Not to diminish Jeff Beck's talent, but couldn't somebody in Brian's band - or a hired hand - provide the lead guitar parts? Or, is Beck insinuating that he was going to contribute to the CONTINUED COMPOSING of the unfinished tracks? Not that that would surprise me....
JBeck has very rarely contributed to the composition of his own albums; I don't think he'd be providing those kinds of services for Brian.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »

Where do I apply to be Brian's manager?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »

Maybe Blondie is supplying the guitar work. :D
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »

Where do I apply to be Brian's manager?

Monster.com

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »

Billy, get your resuime on there..... LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »

JBeck has very rarely contributed to the composition of his own albums; I don't think he'd be providing those kinds of services for Brian.

Again, not to disparage Jeff Beck's guitar prowess, he's a legend, but...

Not since Brian's rock & roll days (1962 -1966) and certainly not in his solo years did Brian depend very much for the guitar to drive/carry his tracks. Specifically, very few tracks utilized a guitar solo. Blondie Chaplin, David Marks, Jeff Foskett would not be good replacements? Of course you wouldn't have the publicity of a Jeff Beck association unless his parts are locked into the existing tracks...
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »

Ergh...  Angry

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

Billy, get your resuime on there..... LOL LOL LOL

sh*t, I would've done a hell of a better job with the sound on MIC, that's for damn sure. Live Wild Honey, I'm glaring in YOUR direction Angry

sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

Brian's career is managed by fools and a half dead iguana could do a better job most of the time.
It often seems that way..

Who exactly IS his management?   Does his BAND manage him?   
Too bad Alan Klein is dead Smiley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

Someone named Jean Sievers. And Melinda, to a degree.I suspect Brian is difficult to manage and his enthusiasm varies. Jean also manages the musical portion of Jeff Bridges: career.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »

Could it be the album is a turkey like GIOMH and they are trying to salvage it before release.......

There's a frightening thought.  At the very least, it looks like I'll have to readjust my expectations for this so as not to be disappointed.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

They clearly weren't very far along in their collaboration last fall. All they debuted on the road was an instrumental of "Danny Boy"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »

I have to wonder if Brian - and the other BB's, for that matter - would've done better to end on the high note that was C50/TWGMTR? Naw  Razz Whoever heard of going out on top...unless your name was the Beatles?
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

I have to wonder if Brian - and the other BB's, for that matter - would've done better to end on the high note that was C50/TWGMTR? Naw  Razz Whoever heard of going out on top...unless your name was the Beatles?

The unfortunate thing is that I'm pretty sure Brian can still put out a reasonably good album if it's something he's half-interested in.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

They clearly weren't very far along in their collaboration last fall. All they debuted on the road was an instrumental of "Danny Boy"

Jeff had already done a version of that song live, before he ever teamed up with Brian, so I don' t think that was part of their collaboration.  I'm not sure Beck really did have that much to add other than as a session guitarist. Maybe they did some kind of improv thing, but I don't think that style is Brian's long suit.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »

Well The Beatles had solo careers too
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »

Sounds like Jeff Beck has some sense. Completing the album and then touring together to promote the new album seems like common sense to me. Why they toured together before they had anything to promote didn't make much sense. I did attend one of the shows and left a Jeff Beck fan.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »

This is all so perplexing... but kind of enlightening at the same time.  A guy like Jeff Beck, although talented as hell, has always had to work to stay relevant, and to make a living.  So he has to make smart business decisions, and by doing that for 40 years, he's very, very sucessful at what he does.  He's got money, he's got his health, he's got a great career, and he's got the ability to be creative and make his artwork the way he wants to do it.

A guy like Brian, though, it seems is so talented, and had such success early on that he's been able to squander his career!  The Beach Boys (I.E... Brian) have ALWAYS had sh*t management.  If you look back at their career, it's easier to see the mistakes than it is to see the good decisions they made.  

So a guy like Beck who has had to work hard to get where he is, looks at it, and thinks "well, why don't we just record 2 full songs, instead of 5 half-songs" because he knows that's the way to get things accomplished.  Brian on the other hand still has the clout and rock-star status to just do whatever the hell he wants and half-ass it.  

I say that with all respect towards Brian, but I wish he'd (or his management) treat it like a job every once in awhile.  It's his decision to make, though, and he's certainly earned the right to do whatever he wants however he wants.  

----------------

Ultimately, at the end of the day, though, a focused, driven, intelligent Jeff Beck on his best day isn't going to make a 'better' album than a screwing-around, rolling with the flow, making it up as he goes along Genius Brian Wilson.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:08:14 PM by Ron » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »

The unfortunate thing is that I'm pretty sure Brian can still put out a reasonably good album if it's something he's half-interested in.
Which leads us back to the eternal questions, like does Brian still have an interest in recording? Or touring? Or is he just doing it because it's what he's expected to do?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:33 PM »

Could it be the album is a turkey like GIOMH and they are trying to salvage it before release.......not to sound negative or anything.... Roll Eyes

Shane?   So famous he is known by a single name and can be counted among the elite: Sting, Cher, Bono, Beyonce, Lassie, Dracula, Popeye, and Lulu.

It's gonna be a turkey. If they are still mining 1998 (the best songs were recorded presumably for TWGMTR) and have a car song called "Run James Run" I have little doubt in my mind. Brian seems to no longer have any creative drive. Why make an album if it's only a half effort?

Which leads us back to the eternal questions, like does Brian still have an interest in recording? Or touring? Or is he just doing it because it's what he's expected to do?

Maybe the "new Landys" in his life believe he won't slip into severe depression again if he is recording/touring regularly. He's gonna be on the road forever.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:08:47 PM by Gabo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx