gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:50:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: '5 Classic Albums' release  (Read 24709 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29860947

Okay, so it is Pet Sounds, Summer Days, Surfin' USA, All Summer Long, and Little Deuce Coupe.

Having bought all of these on CD last year, I will not need this set.
Damnit Why did they choose those albums?!
Little Deuce Coupe sucks, All Summer Long is overrated, Surfin USA and Summer Days are all-right and not some of their very best, and Pet Sounds is everywhere!
I would have replaced them with Sunflower, 20/20, Wild Honey, Surf's Up, and Holland
Yea! All of Brian Wilson's music sucked big time prior to Pet Sounds. They should be taken out of production and never available again to the public. Their singing sucks on them too! How dare Capitol put out such rotten stinkin' albums. And those hits on them, boy how much do they suck? What was Capitol thinking? Wink
It's not so much that. In fact it's not that at all. It's just that their late 60's and early 70's work is a lot better
There is a reason why the 5 albums picked are from 1963 through 1966. Care to venture a guess? Which 5 do you think will sell more, 63-66 or 66-69?
They should have at least added 2 pre-Pet Sounds albums, 2 post-Pet Sounds albums, and Pet Sounds. I don't think it would matter which work would sell more, it all depends on the marketing
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »

Maybe this will be volume 1. I know they have had multiple volumes for other artists. Aretha Franklin has 2 volumes and Miles Davis has at least 3. If this one sells well enough I can easily imagine a volume 2.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »

I’m not sure, but the choices aren’t that bad. Well, aside from Pet Sounds, which everybody already owns. ‘Today’ would probably have been a better choice. Or perhaps Surfer Girl.

Little Deuce Coupe sucks,

Are you serious?

All Summer Long is overrated

Yeah… I think you are serious!

Surfin USA and Summer Days are all-right and not some of their very best,

I need to lie down.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:35:08 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »

I concur with the view on Today! been left out. Unthinkable in my mind!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

I’m not sure, but the choices aren’t that bad. Well, aside from Pet Sounds, which everybody already owns. ‘Today’ would probably have been a better choice. Or perhaps Surfer Girl.

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

In my opinion, the LDC album is just as bad as the Party Album for different reasons. Only 5 out of 12 tracks are any good. Very weak album, and I don't care if it's one of the first concept albums. Compared with ANY other albums from the 60's (With the exception of the Party Album), it just falls far short. It didn't help that it was rush-recorded and released so quickly. I usually just skip that album and move on to SDV2 after Surfer Girl, that's how bad LDC is.

All Summer Long is not a bad album at all. But it's not one of their best. Not even close. I'd probably put it between the best and the worst. I just don't think it deserves all the praise it gets. My Opinion: Their most overrated album, and I stand by that.

As for Surfin' USA and Summer Days, I have since grown fond of these albums, largely thanks to Pixletwin's Survivor Contests. With that I had to listen to these albums again, and they're not as bad as I thought. Still, they could have chose Surfer Girl and Today over them. Once Again, very good, but there are better BB's albums.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

I love basically EVERY cut on LDC. My least favourites are 409 and Shut Down sooooo...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2013, 03:44:44 AM »

According to a couple of eBay listings this lot are all stereo-only; no content other than 5 discs in slip cases (and presumably a box).  Anyone bought and listened yet? Available for under £13 on Amaz.uk (& p&p), which makes about £2.50 a disc… which is testing my curiosity…

“We live in divisive times.”
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2013, 03:52:50 AM »

TODAY being left out is lame -- it's arguably the only other wall-to-wall "classic" album in their early years (kinda like the Beach Boys' REVOLVER).  Maybe side two was too much mellow stuff? 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

In my opinion, the LDC album is just as bad as the Party Album for different reasons. Only 5 out of 12 tracks are any good. Very weak album, and I don't care if it's one of the first concept albums. Compared with ANY other albums from the 60's (With the exception of the Party Album), it just falls far short. It didn't help that it was rush-recorded and released so quickly. I usually just skip that album and move on to SDV2 after Surfer Girl, that's how bad LDC is.

All Summer Long is not a bad album at all. But it's not one of their best. Not even close. I'd probably put it between the best and the worst. I just don't think it deserves all the praise it gets. My Opinion: Their most overrated album, and I stand by that.

As for Surfin' USA and Summer Days, I have since grown fond of these albums, largely thanks to Pixletwin's Survivor Contests. With that I had to listen to these albums again, and they're not as bad as I thought. Still, they could have chose Surfer Girl and Today over them. Once Again, very good, but there are better BB's albums.

Re Little Deuce Coupe: wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttt?Huh??

Which are the only 5 tracks that you think are good?

Personally, I'd say the 4 tracks from previous albums are all good.

Be True To Your School is inferior to the single version, but still a decent track.

Betsy, A Young Man Is Gone and - in particular - Spirit of America are all gorgeous and beautifully sung. SOA is one of Brian's loveliest early lead vocals.

Cherry Cherry Coupe is simple but very catchy indeed; No-Go Showboat and Custom Machine meanwhile are catchy and complex (check out the fantastic bass on Custom Machine, which I only just noticed on a recent listen after years of loving the track).

Great album!!!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2013, 06:22:45 AM »

TODAY being left out is lame -- it's arguably the only other wall-to-wall "classic" album in their early years (kinda like the Beach Boys' REVOLVER).  Maybe side two was too much mellow stuff?  

I haven't got their Revolver album, though I have a great Britpop album of the same name!  It's fab and gear, man! LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

Be True To Your School is inferior to the single version, but still a decent track.

Betsy, A Young Man Is Gone and - in particular - Spirit of America are all gorgeous and beautifully sung. SOA is one of Brian's loveliest early lead vocals.

Cherry Cherry Coupe is simple but very catchy indeed; No-Go Showboat and Custom Machine meanwhile are catchy and complex (check out the fantastic bass on Custom Machine, which I only just noticed on a recent listen after years of loving the track).

Great album!!!!!

Those 5 tracks would be: "Be True To Your School", "Spirit Of America", "No-Go Showboat", "Car Crazy Cutie", and "Ballad Of Old Betsy".
As for the rest, they're almost not worth mentioning. Just my opinion though
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »

I bought it and I like it.  Smiley (I'm a beginner)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

Well if it worked for people in your position, that's great! Welcome to the Forum  Smiley

I would definitely look into "Today!" next!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »

Well if it worked for people in your position, that's great! Welcome to the Forum  Smiley

I would definitely look into "Today!" next!

Today is good, but I'd recommend checking out Love You before anything else!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

...And that's a first post!  Welcome addsomemusic.  Yes, Love You would be a great next choice.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »

I would say that Love You  is maybe a tad eccentric and may not be too appealing for newcomers.

I would recommend listening to the mid-to-late 60's albums.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:02:38 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »

I would say that Love You  is maybe a tad eccentric and may not be too appealing for newcomers.

Love You was the 4th album (proper, had a comp or 2 as well) I bought and listened too as a 13 year old noob (after SS/USA, PS/SS) back in 1884 and it remains a personal favourite and I think a very appealling album - perhaps because of age and that I'd not been exposed to the full gammat of "weighty" material by the BB's and other artists (ie 68-74), I was inclined to take it at face value and go along for the ride.

I'd love to see it back out there as much as any other offering; maybe it's unique characteristics will encourage a few other young listeners to look beyond the classic period and seek out the myriad delights of the full catalogue.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:43:06 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

No way should Love You be a recommended album for someone just getting into the band...

Check out Today!, Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland - then make your way to Love You, which is a superb album which I adore but seriously eccentric and you're almost guaranteed a 'What the f**k??' on first listen.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »

I would say that Love You  is maybe a tad eccentric and may not be too appealing for newcomers.

Love You was the 4th album (proper, had a comp or 2 as well) I bought and listened too as a 13 year old noob (after SS/USA, PS/SS) back in 1884 and it remains a personal favourite and I think a very appealling album - perhaps because of age and that I'd not been exposed to the full gammat of "weighty" material by the BB's and other artists (ie 68-74), I was inclined to take it at face value and go along for the ride.

I'd love to see it back out there as much as any other offering; maybe it's unique characteristics will encourage a few other young listeners to look beyond the classic period and seek out the myriad delights of the full catalogue.
1884???
Not only were those albums non-existent back then, but everyone from that year is dead xD  LOL
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

Great album!!!!!

Those 5 tracks would be: "Be True To Your School", "Spirit Of America", "No-Go Showboat", "Car Crazy Cutie", and "Ballad Of Old Betsy".

What about the title track and 409?? BB classics surely? And 'Custom Machine' is the best song on the album btw.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

Great album!!!!!

What about the title track and 409?? BB classics surely? And 'Custom Machine' is the best song on the album btw.
409 is an all-right song at best. It was already on Surfin' Safari, so it shouldn't have been here. The LDC song itself is overrated anyway.
Custom Machine is a annoying, pathetic song.
Just my opinion

No way should Love You be a recommended album for someone just getting into the band...

Check out Today!, Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland - then make your way to Love You, which is a superb album which I adore but seriously eccentric and you're almost guaranteed a 'What the f**k??' on first listen.

Agreed. It did take me a couple of listens to be convinced it's a masterpiece. At first, I couldn't stand it
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:54:12 PM by rockno1fann » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

Are you serious?

I need to lie down.

Great album!!!!!

409 is an all-right song at best. It was already on Surfin' Safari, so it shouldn't have been here. The LDC song itself is overrated anyway.
Custom Machine is a annoying, pathetic song.
Just my opinion

Agreed. It did take me a couple of listens to be convinced it's a masterpiece. At first, I couldn't stand it

'Annoying and pathetic'? Jeez, well I guess variety is the spice of life... Personally I think it's close to being a mini masterpiece. Brian packs so much into such a short song, it's slightly breath-taking.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »

Give Custom Machine one more listen, RockNo1Fann, and listen to the bass melody - might change your mind a tad. It's what made me go from thinking that the song was absolutely great rather than just very good.
Gohi
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »

Thenfirst album I listened to after Pet Sounds was Love You. I loved it instantly.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »

I wouldn't suggest Love You to a new BB's fan unless I wanted to drive them away from BB's for some strange reason.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx