gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:20:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 58 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Weirdest Photos Of Mike Love You Can Find  (Read 547986 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »

Nobody ever seems to mention that this was an Annie Leibovitz photo, taken for what was supposed to be their 2nd Rolling Stone cover

Dennis put me w-a-y on the spot, and told me to shoot behind her!  I had been so star-struck - This was Annie Leibovitz, after all, that is, until she & her assistant set up lights and a backdrop outside Brother Studio...  I mean, we were only 4 & a 1/2 blocks from the Pacific, for God's sake, why try to recreate reality!  So I shot away behind her, (and I'll post the shot I like soon), and then got blown away when I heard she didn't get anything she found usable...  I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this shot not genius???
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:16:04 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

I'm a fan of Annie Leibowitz as well.  I absolutely love this shot she did of Brian in 2000.

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

Ah, but no backdrop there!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this shot not genius???

Indeed!  Some people just can't be happy with their accomplishments.   Undecided
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

I recall Carnie being interviewed about Mike back then and saying they like to cuss at each other for fun. Maybe that made my brain think they'd make a good talk show team (it was a sort of an argumentative format  talk show in my dream).

"Carnie, you ignorant slut..."

Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »

I'm glad they went with Annie Leibovitz's shot of Brian in his bathrobe for the RS cover.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »

Why am I not surprised that Ontor Pertawst  is good at this! Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »

I'm glad they went with Annie Leibovitz's shot of Brian in his bathrobe for the RS cover.

Except the shot I was referring to was from the "15 BIG ONES" period...  When is the shot of Brian from?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »

The 15 Big Ones period, Ed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:52:23 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »

Except the shot I was referring to was from the "15 BIG ONES" period...  When is the shot of Brian from?

It says 2000 above the picture Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »

Well, Annie DID also do one during the 15 Big Ones period, which ended up as the cover of Rolling Stone.  Perhaps she was referencing this one when she photographed him again in 2000 or maybe Brian just likes wearing bathrobes.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-healing-of-brother-brian-the-rolling-stone-interview-with-the-beach-boys-19761104

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

Well, Annie DID also do one during the 15 Big Ones period, which ended up as the cover of Rolling Stone.  Perhaps she was referencing this one when she photographed him again in 2000 or maybe Brian just likes wearing bathrobes.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-healing-of-brother-brian-the-rolling-stone-interview-with-the-beach-boys-19761104

You know, you're kind of right on both points, probably.  I'd kind of forgotten that cover, most likely because I have such mixed emotions about that day.  Love the Belushi & Aykroyd skit, but I hated what Landy subjected Brian to on that day.  Ah, show biz...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2013, 01:49:42 AM »

Whereas in America, Hitler humor is pretty much a proud industry. Many families put food on the table with Hitler humor! Conan O'Brien was able to finance his haircuts with two decades of Hitler jokes...

Let's chalk it up to cultural differences and agree to disagree. Altho, my family is still a bit annoyed at Germany for putting my grandfather in the camps. It almost ruined his public career! He managed to get out, worked on Madison Avenue for a good stretch, and made sure all us kids watched The Great Dictator. I'll refrain from parting my hair in a severe manner while visiting Germany and quoting certain episodes of Fawlty Towers, but on the Internet -- yeah, it gets a BIT Hitler at times. So you're going to be offended once in a while.

It's not jokes about Hitler that I find offensive, but comparing people to Hitler. That's why I wrote "Please refrain from Hitler comparisons", not "no jokes about Hitler". The Great Dictator is a great movie, and I love the Monty Python bit where they subtitled a Hitler speech with a joke so it looks like he's telling the joke.

You should refrain from parting your hair in a severe manner while visiting Germany though - it might make you suspicious. Shocked

Your grandfather lived in Germany in those dark times?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:48 AM »

Whereas in America, Hitler humor is pretty much a proud industry. Many families put food on the table with Hitler humor! Conan O'Brien was able to finance his haircuts with two decades of Hitler jokes...

Let's chalk it up to cultural differences and agree to disagree. Altho, my family is still a bit annoyed at Germany for putting my grandfather in the camps. It almost ruined his public career! He managed to get out, worked on Madison Avenue for a good stretch, and made sure all us kids watched The Great Dictator. I'll refrain from parting my hair in a severe manner while visiting Germany and quoting certain episodes of Fawlty Towers, but on the Internet -- yeah, it gets a BIT Hitler at times. So you're going to be offended once in a while.

It's not jokes about Hitler that I find offensive, but comparing people to Hitler. That's why I wrote "Please refrain from Hitler comparisons", not "no jokes about Hitler". The Great Dictator is a great movie, and I love the Monty Python bit where they subtitled a Hitler speech with a joke so it looks like he's telling the joke.

You should refrain from parting your hair in a severe manner while visiting Germany though - it might make you suspicious. Shocked

Your grandfather lived in Germany in those dark times?
There have been much worse people than Hitler, and people who deserve to be ridiculed more than Hitler. In the case of people making too many Hitler jokes, I agree that it's too much. It can get annoying mainly for it's repetition, the fact that the Hitler subject in comedy has been milked to death. Not to mention people far more deserving of the ridicule Hitler recieves of which i've already explained.
But I do think you are a little too sensitive. But at the same time, it's understandable. I guess you can consider yourself lucky that Hitler was Austrian, not German!
Anyway, I think we have to agree to disagree  Smiley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:34 AM »

Nobody ever seems to mention that this was an Annie Leibovitz photo, taken for what was supposed to be their 2nd Rolling Stone cover

Dennis put me w-a-y on the spot, and told me to shoot behind her!  I had been so star-struck - This was Annie Leibovitz, after all, that is, until she & her assistant set up lights and a backdrop outside Brother Studio...  I mean, we were only 4 & a 1/2 blocks from the Pacific, for God's sake, why try to recreate reality!  So I shot away behind her, (and I'll post the shot I like soon), and then got blown away when I heard she didn't get anything she found usable...  I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this shot not genius???

Thanks for the background detail! It IS genius. Really captures their personalities somehow... Looking forward to seeing that shot!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:16:37 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »

Anyway, I think we have to agree to disagree  Smiley

No problem with that! Smiley

I guess you can consider yourself lucky that Hitler was Austrian, not German!

Well, that's actually irrelevant, as Austria was part of Germany for centuries, and they wanted in fact join Germany in 1919, but the French wouldn't let them. If they had, Hitler would have been German anyway. The archduke of Austria was German emperor until 1806!

And as I said, it's not making fun of Hitler that I find offensive but comparing people with him.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »

Anyway, I think we have to agree to disagree  Smiley

Well, that's actually irrelevant, as Austria was part of Germany for centuries, and they wanted in fact join Germany in 1919, but the French wouldn't let them. If they had, Hitler would have been German anyway. The archduke of Austria was German emperor until 1806!

And as I said, it's not making fun of Hitler that I find offensive but comparing people with him.

sh*t. You know your history. Good for you!
Just for the record, why do you find comparing people with Hitler offensive?
Like for example, would you be offended if i'd say "When you compare Stalin with Hitler, you can see that Stalin is much, much worse"?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:30:18 PM by bluesno1fann » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »

Anyway, I think we have to agree to disagree  Smiley

sh*t. You know your history. Good for you!
Just for the record, why do you find comparing people with Hitler offensive?
Like for example, would you be offended if i'd say "When you compare Stalin with Hitler, you can see that Stalin is much, much worse"?

I will kindly ask you all to stop talking about Hitler in my thread, not for any ideological reason, but because I started this thread for a laugh, didn't log on for a couple of days, and now IT'S FUCKING BORING. Take it to The Sandbox, or PMs, if you must.

----------------------------

Ed, I just went to look for your site and I can't find anything? Do you not have your photos online anymore? That's a great shot of the group upthread  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2013, 07:52:04 AM »

Yeah, f*** that guy. Asking for cultural sensitivity. WTF!?!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:53:00 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »

Seriously? You want to keep arguing this incredibly boring point? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY when we can WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN?

I say we make with the

The Fisher-Price My First Photoshop

Holy sh*t, What The f*** IS That?

Mike Oversees a Tiny Shorts Malfunction

Deep Inside The Mike Love Shirt & Hat Vault (Sunday Shirt is on a different floor)

I Am So Heterosexual

Mike Love Interviewed by William S. Burroughs

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:28:56 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »

Seriously? You want to keep arguing this incredibly boring point? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY when we can WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN?

The Time They Thought It Prudent Not To Mention His Name

Astounding!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »

Oops, I was going too fast there! bwhahaha.

But WAIT! There's More

Mike Closes The Endorsement Deal

The Legacy of "Student Demonstration Time"

"Classic" Mike, Modeling the Roger Moore Collection of Menswear

His Hall of Fame Speech Slowly Begins Sinking In (Moments later, Little Richard dabbed Mike's tears with his fingers and there-there-ed.)

I Said It's Mine, Bruce
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:51:30 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

The Time They Thought It Prudent Not To Mention His Name

Astounding!

Christ, that is like looking at Mike if he still had a full head of hair.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:42:27 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »

What Do You Mean There's No Cupholder?!

But speaking of Stan Love, whaaaa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8tB5ivQEU

Kevin Love dressed as an old man interviewing a slightly baffled Stan Love. Stan kinda looks like a greengrocer version of Mike these days...

I think I've gone too far. I'm going to sit down and have a think about where this thread is headed and reflect on my poor decisions.

Tim Beasley, would you sing me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggQfP5Tz_74

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:15:24 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »

Mike shares his reaction upon meeting Dolly Parton for the first time.

Halfway through performing Kokomo, suddenly it's Mike's turn to start hearing Murry, Phil Spector, Danny Hutton etc in his head.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 58 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx