gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:40:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Fave?
Robbie - 3 (8.3%)
Manuel - 8 (22.2%)
Danko - 7 (19.4%)
Garth - 4 (11.1%)
Levon - 14 (38.9%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Member Of The Band  (Read 19241 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Or, The Artists Formerly Known As The Crackers.

Robbie Robertson

Classic case of great talent marred by a repugnant personality. Mean guitarist, when he shuts up - less is more, which makes The Last Waltz a tad grating. Then again, his personality makes The Last Waltz a bit grating. His lack of a singing voice is the greatest service he did for us all, given that he had to get the three greatest singers in rock to sing his songs. And he did start a song with 'The management are very sorry for the inconvenience', which is possibly the least rock and roll lyric in the history of the medium. But then he did write The Weight, Up On Cripple Creek, It Makes No Difference, etc etc.

Beard rating: 4/10. Not feeling the John Lennon schtick.

Richard Manuel.

Poor bastard. Voice of an angel, a wasted songwriting talent (the guy knew a way around a spectral ballad). Does a mean Ray Charles, even with his voice charred by Gran Marnier and cocaine, and despite being barely conscious as in The Last Waltz. Possibly my favourite singer in The Band - the longing and emotion he gives a song like Rockin Chair is just.... goshdarn. His drumming is also great.

Beard Rating: 6/10.  Haggard. Unkempt. Mesmerising. Indicative of the man.

Rick Danko

Locked in perpetual battle with Manuel to sing the most heartbreaking ballad, but there is no shame in defeat here. Major props for throwing down serious moves on the bass. A goof, it seems in The Last Waltz, yet sounds like he gargles gravel on the first lines of the movie. Plays a mean fiddle.

Beard rating: 3/10. In a band of beards he just does not suit them. A tragedy.

Garth Hudson

Oh yes. Mad genius Garth. Favourite anecdote from the Barney Hoskyns book is where someone interviews the group, not expecting much from Garth until one question to him prompts a 40 minute lecture on the history of jazz piano. If more bands had Garth Hudson figures we'd have world peace. Beat Stevie to the clavinet. Plays mad honky tonk piano next to anglican hymns. Writes obit notices in all caps. Restores church organs. Doesn't cash $25,000 cheques. Nigh on monosyllabic in The Last Waltz, which adds to his zen qualities.

Beard Rating: 9/10. Flawless execution with flailing trails of hair during excessive organ playing is on the next level beard game and we mortals must simply look on in awe.

Levon Helm.

Funkiest white boy in rock. The only American in a band primarily concerned with the place. Sang like a frog. According to a Toronto prostitute, was hung like a horse. Watching The Last Waltz schools most drummers and the guy was playing for 4 hours with bleeding hands, sometimes on songs he barely knew. Ain't no thang for him to play with Joni Mitchell and Muddy Waters on the same night. Sang that country cool. Pretty much defines the group by the fact he sang The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Mandolin is a bitch to play. Fought bitterly to get Muddy Waters on The Last Waltz, which is a public service. Buddy Rich's favourite rock drummer.

Beard Rating 6/10. Simple, well executed and yet has no 'X Factor' to elevate it to a Garth.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:01 PM »

Levon Helm has always been my favorite member of the Band. Awesome voice, good drummer and mandolin player, and is much missed. Danko is my second favorite; 'It Makes No Difference' is a great song made incredible by his voice.

I had no idea Levon was Buddy Rich's favorite rock drummer, that's cool.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »

Nice writing, hypehat. I've been wanting to get into The Band for quite some time now as I love this song very, very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WMBYQL14U

That's Richard Manuel singing, right?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »

Oh yes. Written by His Royal Bobness. So beautiful. I haven't voted yet, but that's the sort of thing that would tip it for Richard.

Thinkin about Music From Big Pink, it's all about Manuel's tunes for me - The Weight excepted - and it makes me think what kind of band they would have been if Manuel had taken the lead in songwriting. He and Robertson are equal in songwriting credits on that record. We may have been saved the snooze that is Cahoots.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »

Richard Manuel, tried to trade his jacket for a guy's girlfriend.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »

Or, The Artists Formerly Known As The Crackers.

Robbie Robertson

Classic case of great talent marred by a repugnant personality. Mean guitarist, when he shuts up - less is more, which makes The Last Waltz a tad grating. Then again, his personality makes The Last Waltz a bit grating. His lack of a singing voice is the greatest service he did for us all, given that he had to get the three greatest singers in rock to sing his songs. And he did start a song with 'The management are very sorry for the inconvenience', which is possibly the least rock and roll lyric in the history of the medium. But then he did write The Weight, Up On Cripple Creek, It Makes No Difference, etc etc.

Beard rating: 4/10. Not feeling the John Lennon schtick.

Richard Manuel.

Poor bastard. Voice of an angel, a wasted songwriting talent (the guy knew a way around a spectral ballad). Does a mean Ray Charles, even with his voice charred by Gran Marnier and cocaine, and despite being barely conscious as in The Last Waltz. Possibly my favourite singer in The Band - the longing and emotion he gives a song like Rockin Chair is just.... goshdarn. His drumming is also great.

Beard Rating: 6/10.  Haggard. Unkempt. Mesmerising. Indicative of the man.

Rick Danko

Locked in perpetual battle with Manuel to sing the most heartbreaking ballad, but there is no shame in defeat here. Major props for throwing down serious moves on the bass. A goof, it seems in The Last Waltz, yet sounds like he gargles gravel on the first lines of the movie. Plays a mean fiddle.

Beard rating: 3/10. In a band of beards he just does not suit them. A tragedy.

Garth Hudson

Oh yes. Mad genius Garth. Favourite anecdote from the Barney Hoskyns book is where someone interviews the group, not expecting much from Garth until one question to him prompts a 40 minute lecture on the history of jazz piano. If more bands had Garth Hudson figures we'd have world peace. Beat Stevie to the clavinet. Plays mad honky tonk piano next to anglican hymns. Writes obit notices in all caps. Restores church organs. Doesn't cash $25,000 cheques. Nigh on monosyllabic in The Last Waltz, which adds to his zen qualities.

Beard Rating: 9/10. Flawless execution with flailing trails of hair during excessive organ playing is on the next level beard game and we mortals must simply look on in awe.

Levon Helm.

Funkiest white boy in rock. The only American in a band primarily concerned with the place. Sang like a frog. According to a Toronto prostitute, was hung like a horse. Watching The Last Waltz schools most drummers and the guy was playing for 4 hours with bleeding hands, sometimes on songs he barely knew. Ain't no thang for him to play with Joni Mitchell and Muddy Waters on the same night. Sang that country cool. Pretty much defines the group by the fact he sang The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Mandolin is a bitch to play. Fought bitterly to get Muddy Waters on The Last Waltz, which is a public service. Buddy Rich's favourite rock drummer.

Beard Rating 6/10. Simple, well executed and yet has no 'X Factor' to elevate it to a Garth.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hypehat, can you PLEASE do this with The Beach Boys? ....... And then every band! Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »

Oh yes. Written by His Royal Bobness. So beautiful. I haven't voted yet, but that's the sort of thing that would tip it for Richard.

Thinkin about Music From Big Pink, it's all about Manuel's tunes for me - The Weight excepted - and it makes me think what kind of band they would have been if Manuel had taken the lead in songwriting. He and Robertson are equal in songwriting credits on that record. We may have been saved the snooze that is Cahoots.

My vote is Richard.

There was a time in college where I'd just HAVE to play Tears Of Rage (Big Pink version) each and every morning before heading out to class.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »

My vote is Richard.

There was a time in college where I'd just HAVE to play Tears Of Rage (Big Pink version) each and every morning before heading out to class.

Oh my god, what a vocal. He just wrenches out some of those lines.

It's a toss up between Richard and the rhythm section, I gave Danko too short shrift in the original post. I guess it all depends on which one I'm listening to at the time...

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »

My vote is Richard.

Oh my god, what a vocal. He just wrenches out some of those lines.

It's a toss up between Richard and the rhythm section, I gave Danko too short shrift in the original post. I guess it all depends on which one I'm listening to at the time...

I'd say when they all lock their voices together for the "get your cannonballs" part of The Weight (Last Waltz version): the whole Band is my fave!

My other particular fave Richard moment is during the big group/guests wail-fest of I Shall be Released.... Richard takes a verse but this time in a rich tenor rather than his famous falsetto.......and not a single camera cares to capture the moment........
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »

'Whispering Pines' has my favorite Richard vocal. Incredible song.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »

It looks like a three way tie between Levon, Rick, and Richard. All great singers, and even better musicians (Levon inspired my love for the mandolin). I mean, Rob and Garth are nice and all, but when one of these guys steps up to the mic, you know you're in for a treat. Just great stuff all around. Long live The Band.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »

I have to go with Levon.  He just seems like he was such a sweet guy.  And he was a great drummer and singer.  I know Robertson wrote those songs but I think Levon brought them to life.  Just look at the sad sight that was Robertson, Danko, and Hudson performing as The Band at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and you'll see how essential Levon really was to the group.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »

Danko. Something about that guy, when he is on screen in The Last Waltz, I just can't keep my eyes off him. Maybe I have a man-crush on him or something. Love that voice, and those great bass lines. And my all time fave Band song is one he sings, It Makes No Difference. And my second fave is Stage Fright. Gotta love Levon, too, seemed like the one it would've been most fun to sit down and talk music with. I know he hated the Waltz film, but I think he comes off great in it, great talker, but doesn't come off so pompous like Robbie.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:36 AM »

Am I the only guy on the planet who loves the Cahoots album?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 02:42:51 PM »

Maybe, lol. The opening track is stunning but most of the rest loses me. 

As for a favourite member, I can't choose. Like, who is my favourite member of Free? An enlightened poster mentioned them locking together----now that was the strength of The Band (and Free, come to that). The interplay between Garth and Robbie in the instrumental break in "Sleeping", Richard and Levon's heartbreaking call and response in "Whispering Pines"...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »

I have to go with Levon.  He just seems like he was such a sweet guy.  And he was a great drummer and singer.  I know Robertson wrote those songs but I think Levon brought them to life.  Just look at the sad sight that was Robertson, Danko, and Hudson performing as The Band at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and you'll see how essential Levon really was to the group.

To be fair, though, The Band in the 80s-90s without Robertson (and without Manuel for the back half of that time) had no magic either (despite some good moments).  It really took all 5 of them to create the transcendent music and be THE BAND.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »

I think it is unfairly maligned because it followed three stone cold classics, but most bands would have killed to have "Life is a Carnival," "When I Paint My Masterpiece," "4% Pantomime, " "Smoke Signal," and "The River Hymn" on one album.  And the rest of the album is solid, just not reaching the heights of the three prior albums.  And certainly on the first two albums, you'd be hard pressed to imagine them without any of the songs on them.  There are no duds.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »

RE: Cahoots, yeah any album with Life Is A Carnival and When I Paint My Masterpiece on it isn't dreadful. And I quite like The Moon Struck One, in it's way. The River Hymn sounds amazing but I couldn't sing anything but the backing vocals to you if asked. And the rest sorta plods, I listened to it twice over the weekend and I can barely remember anything about the album apart from the weirdo chimes in the Chinatown song and that annoying effect they keep putting on Danko's voice.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:20 AM »

Man this is tricky. I think that what's great about The Band beyond the musicianship is that each member brings such a personality to the blend that none of them are superfluous.

After much deliberation, my vote goes to Levon. That he can sing like that and do such awesome drumming at the same time - the man's a miracle. Just listening to Highway 61 live at the isle of wight from the recent Dylan Bootleg, it's Helm that makes the song with his beautifully idiosyncratic drumming and backing vocals.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

Levon I think. What a voice and such a fantastic drummer.

I did quite like Robbie's solo album, forget what it is called but Eric Clapton is on it, not so much his voice but he is one hell of a guitarist and wrote some great songs.

The Last Waltz should be watched by anyone who wants to play music, it should be on some sort of rock curriculum.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

Yeah, a lesson on what not to do when you play guitar in a band  Wink

It's annoying, tbh - Robbie spent most of The Band's career being a perfect accompaniment on guitar. Placing his solos properly in the context of the arrangement, neat chord voicings, playing for the song, etc. Never too much of anything. Gives everyone room.

And on The Last Waltz he's just soloing all the damn time, regardless. Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Also, did Robbie ever play anything but guitar in the band? For all the instrument swapping that went on in the group, I can't place a song where Robbie doesn't play guitar.... he's static on the first two, at least.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »

I love robbie's early guitar work, he plays within the song and let loose when needed. He sounded great on the 1966 tour with Dylan.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

Only one vote for Richard Manuel so far? You damn savages.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

I was the one who voted for him.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »

I was the one who voted for him.

Hey! I did too!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx