gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:34:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated BB's Albums  (Read 28614 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »

It's weird that in the eighties everyone kept talking about the incredible, miraculous high-res clarity of CD sound, how CDs made vinyl sound like crap. I read one of Paul Williams's old books on Dylan recently and he mentioned how he hadn't lived till he'd heard whatever Dylan song on CD, and now he could die happy.

You never hear people talk that way anymore. When people are defending CDs, they just talk about convenience, and its assumed that mint-condition vinyl is of the same if not higher quality fidelity.

Me, I wouldn't know, everything sounds fine to me. I'm glad I don't have to count to twenty while fast-forwarding through a song on cassette anymore.

Nobody talks that way anymore because it's a proven fact that vinyl can hold more information and produces a more dynamic range of sound than a CD. A quick google search shows numerous articles explaining why this is better than I can. It's not just ornery old farts longing for the good old days or hipsters trying to be anti-mainstream for its own sake.

I'll say for myself, I started out listening to various psychedelic albums by ripping them from youtube to mp3 for my iPod. Since I got the SMiLE boxset, I bought a record player to be able to listen properly. And once I had one, I figured I might as well buy more to play on it. Now I have a nice little collection of ~30 vinyls, and Im always hunting for more as I sample different albums on youtube. I have to say, the difference between mp3 and vinyl/FLAC is very noticeable. Sometimes there isnt a huge difference Ill admit, and others it's a completely night/day experience, with new instruments buried in the mix I never heard before. Depends on the album and whether it's 180g or just a standard vinyl.

The only thing I hate about them is getting them out. You always risk getting them dirty, and it's annoying taking them out of the covers and stuff, especially as you're trying to avoid touching the face of the disk as much as possible. That, and the more you play them you risk wearing them out. Thus, on the maiden listen, I plug the player into my computer and record it to FLAC. Then just edit the two sides together into one file and you've got the best of both worlds.

To each his own, but as far as Im concerned...vinyl is king  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:38:11 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2015, 06:34:25 AM »

It's weird that in the eighties everyone kept talking about the incredible, miraculous high-res clarity of CD sound, how CDs made vinyl sound like crap. I read one of Paul Williams's old books on Dylan recently and he mentioned how he hadn't lived till he'd heard whatever Dylan song on CD, and now he could die happy.

You never hear people talk that way anymore. When people are defending CDs, they just talk about convenience, and its assumed that mint-condition vinyl is of the same if not higher quality fidelity.

Me, I wouldn't know, everything sounds fine to me. I'm glad I don't have to count to twenty while fast-forwarding through a song on cassette anymore.

Nobody talks that way anymore because it's a proven fact that vinyl can hold more information and produces a more dynamic range of sound than a CD. A quick google search shows numerous articles explaining why this is better than I can. It's not just ornery old farts longing for the good old days or hipsters trying to be anti-mainstream for its own sake.

I'll say for myself, I started out listening to various psychedelic albums by ripping them from youtube to mp3 for my iPod. Since I got the SMiLE boxset, I bought a record player to be able to listen properly. And once I had one, I figured I might as well buy more to play on it. Now I have a nice little collection of ~30 vinyls, and Im always hunting for more as I sample different albums on youtube. I have to say, the difference between mp3 and vinyl/FLAC is very noticeable. Sometimes there isnt a huge difference Ill admit, and others it's a completely night/day experience, with new instruments buried in the mix I never heard before. Depends on the album and whether it's 180g or just a standard vinyl.

The only thing I hate about them is getting them out. You always risk getting them dirty, and it's annoying taking them out of the covers and stuff, especially as you're trying to avoid touching the face of the disk as much as possible. That, and the more you play them you risk wearing them out. Thus, on the maiden listen, I plug the player into my computer and record it to FLAC. Then just edit the two sides together into one file and you've got the best of both worlds.

To each his own, but as far as Im concerned...vinyl is king  Cool Guy
I read all that stuff too, but you know what, the best way to tell what sounds the best is your ears. If you like what your hearing from old vinyl then that's is your thing. Personally, my ears like digital. I like clean, clear, crisp sound. No snap, crackle or pop and they don't wear like records. Hell, with the Beach Boys releases I actually prefer all of the 2000-2001 releases over what came before or since. I like the new AP releases, but more as a for "old time's sake" type of thing. Either way though, it is all digital and it sounds great to my ears.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »

Having said that I wouldn't change any of those songs for anything! I can get just as much enjoyment out of the likes of Pom Pom Playgirl, Chug-a-lug, Ding Dang, In The Parkin' Lot, Drive-In etc.

"In the Parkin' Lot" and "Pom Pom Playgirl" to me aren't filler. Yes, on SDVII they aren't on the same level as "DWB" and "WOTS" but they are very enjoyable and good.

The modulations and opening and closing harmonies in the former are amazing and sound amazing on vinyl (especially in stereo). The latter has a nice lead by Carl and a I love the drums and the fadeout drum part by Dennis. Very punk sounding for a lack of a better description.  If you get a chance, listen to the Keep an Eye on Summer sessions. It is so fun jamming out on piano to those two tunes for the "tracking sessions."  Good way to enjoy a beer and a Friday/Saturday night!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

What I really miss about cassettes is how once every other week one would get fucking chewed up in the tape deck on your hi/fi. Great days.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »

Here's some controversy...

Most underrated: Keepin' the Summer Alive. It's by far NOT their greatest, but personally I don't think it's as bad as many people say. There are a few clunkers -- "When Girls Get Together" and "Some of Your Love" especially (and "Livin' With A Heartache" just goes on FOR FREAKIN' EVER) -- but there are a few gems that are often overlooked...the title track is a great rocker, the second half of "Endless Harmony" is classic Beach Boys harmony, and "Oh Darling" is a solid tune with a really nice Carl vocal. Yeah, I prefer the bootleg version of "Santa Ana Winds," but the official version has its charm. Heck, even "Sunshine" is growing on me.

Most overrated: Pacific Ocean Blue. There. I said it. Seems to me that among the fan community, and has been since I've been involved in the online community (since 1993), anything Dennis does = holy. People even curse me for not liking "Make It Good." Well...Pacific Ocean Blue is not the end-all be-all, folks. "River Song" indeed is a masterpiece and is worth the price of the 2-CD/3-vinyl LP set alone, and "Time" just kicks so many asses...but most of the rest...well...dated. Yep. The instrumentation and production on much of the album just SCREAMS 1977. The bass harmonica makes the music sound like the theme from Sanford & Son. The electric piano makes you think you're watching What's Happening!!. I'm not saying I don't LIKE it....I'll gladly listen to it over Carl's albums any day....but it's not this magnum opus people make it out to be.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »

I read all that stuff too, but you know what, the best way to tell what sounds the best is your ears. If you like what your hearing from old vinyl then that's is your thing. Personally, my ears like digital. I like clean, clear, crisp sound. No snap, crackle or pop and they don't wear like records. Hell, with the Beach Boys releases I actually prefer all of the 2000-2001 releases over what came before or since. I like the new AP releases, but more as a for "old time's sake" type of thing. Either way though, it is all digital and it sounds great to my ears.

Fair enough. But that crackle and pop only occurs on older and/or dirtier vinyls. Taking care of them and cleaning them will negate that, not to mention there's software that can seamlessly edit out those hindrances. Not trying to convince you to change your ways, just saying in the modern era, analog and digital technology can come together to do some really amazing things. As I said, best of both worlds Smokin

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »

Fair enough. But that crackle and pop only occurs on older and/or dirtier vinyls. Taking care of them and cleaning them will negate that, not to mention there's software that can seamlessly edit out those hindrances. Not trying to convince you to change your ways, just saying in the modern era, analog and digital technology can come together to do some really amazing things. As I said, best of both worlds Smokin
95% of my albums are all from the 60's and 70's. They were taken care of, but not always played on the best turntables and stylus'. I can't afford to spend $300-$400 on a disc-washer, but I do clean them each time before playing. I do digitize my albums, but do not have the patience to edit out all of the noise. It's one of the reasons that I like CDs. Minimal care required; just keep them in their cases. I definitely understand why you like records. They do sound different, a warmth, if you will that can be lacking on CDs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

Here's some controversy...

Most overrated: Pacific Ocean Blue. There. I said it. Seems to me that among the fan community, and has been since I've been involved in the online community (since 1993), anything Dennis does = holy. People even curse me for not liking "Make It Good." Well...Pacific Ocean Blue is not the end-all be-all, folks. "River Song" indeed is a masterpiece and is worth the price of the 2-CD/3-vinyl LP set alone, and "Time" just kicks so many asses...but most of the rest...well...dated. Yep. The instrumentation and production on much of the album just SCREAMS 1977. The bass harmonica makes the music sound like the theme from Sanford & Son. The electric piano makes you think you're watching What's Happening!!. I'm not saying I don't LIKE it....I'll gladly listen to it over Carl's albums any day....but it's not this magnum opus people make it out to be.

Jon Stebbings is coming for you and he is pissed.....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:27 PM »

What I really miss about cassettes is how once every other week one would get fucking chewed up in the tape deck on your hi/fi. Great days.
I must be the only person that never had this problem. The only tapes I lost were those 3 for 99 cent blank tapes the drug stores sold.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »

OK once every other week was a slight exaggeration, it did happen to me more times then I cared for. I had to buy Queen's Innuendo three times over!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:23:34 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

It would be interesting to see people's opinion on which BB's album you think is the most overrated and which one is the most underrated.
This is just people's opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean it's fact.

I'll get things started:

Most Overrated: "All Summer Long"
Most Underrated: "The Beach Boys (1985)"

Nearly two years later, I'd still agree with those choices. Though I'd also agree with those who say L.A. Light Album, CATP and 20/20 are underrated, and that TWGMTR is overrated.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:04:54 PM by Gettin' pretty damn hungry now... » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »

It would be interesting to see people's opinion on which BB's album you think is the most overrated and which one is the most underrated.
This is just people's opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean it's fact.

I'll get things started:

Most Overrated: "All Summer Long"
Most Underrated: "The Beach Boys (1985)"

Nearly two years later, I'd still agree with those choices. Though I'd also agree with those who say L.A. Light Album, CATP and 20/20 are underrated, and that TWGMTR is overrated.

I would just like to remind everyone that my opinion *also* remains unchanged. Just so you know.  Razz

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »

Overrated=Surf's Up

Underrated=Surfin' USA
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »

Overrated: Pet Sounds
Underrated: Summer In Paradise
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2015, 12:28:27 AM »

Overrated: LA Light
Underrated: So Tough

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »

I used to hate Keepin' The Summer Alive, but I'm slowly starting to change my opinion. Right now I have more issues with the actual production, than the material.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
tilIdie
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »

If we are referring to the fan base on this board:

Overrated: nothing, really. All beach boys albums deserve heaps of critical praise.

Underrated: LA Light album.
aniversari's right, no BBs album is overrated. I say everything from surfin usa to love you is underrated, minus 15big 1s.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »

If we are referring to the fan base on this board:

Overrated: nothing, really. All beach boys albums deserve heaps of critical praise.

Underrated: LA Light album.
aniversari's right, no BBs album is overrated. I say everything from surfin usa to love you is underrated, minus 15big 1s.

kook? is that you?

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »

Overrated: Surfin' USA
Underrated: Still Cruisin'
tilIdie
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »

I concur w Aniversari.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »

They're all rated correctly.
SBonilla
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »

overrated: albums (recorded) after Love You

underrated: Party
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »

I mostly just want to reject the premise altogether. And even if I didn't, I'd want to clarify it: rated by whom, etc. But who the f*** doesn't love making lists and whatnot?

So, in terms of the general public: none and all except Pet Sounds, respectively. Because I don't think most average people could name an album other than Pet Sounds.

In terms of this board? Overrated would be Sunflower, Holland, and LA. Underrated would be trickier because someone more or less worships all of them.

But mostly, I'd go back to rejecting the premise.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »

Overrated-Smiley Smile......Sort of like the Beach Boys combined with the Mothers of Invention with a bit of Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard A True Star"........with none of the inspiration of "A Wizard A True Star". It's like the mindset of "Smiley Smile" was, "This music is gibberish anyway so let's just throw something together and hopefully some guy tripping in San Francisco will con themselves into thinking this is 'art'.

Underrated-Summer In Paradise.......I find this extremely tunefull. I love the melodies and harmonies of "Hot Fun In The Summertime", "Strange Things Happen", "One Summer Night", and the Bon Jovi-ish arena-rock take on "Forever"....plus I find the "Surfin' re-recording to be a lot of fun.
I only have it on cassette...bought it out of the cut-outs in 2002...and I play it on whichever of my cassette Walkmans I'm using on my long walk that day (played that cassette on my walk today as a matter of fact) and put it in my tape deck at work regularly.
I've even transferred the cassette to CD-R because I refuse to pay the high prices for the CD second hand.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »

The general public might be forgiven for thinking Pet Sounds was the only album the Beach Boys did. One classic album, a dozen or so hit singles, and a bunch of rubbish after that.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx