gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:58:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Still A Mystery  (Read 24974 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »

I understand how you feel, but I still say it's not objective...I can just as easily say that Lahaina Aloha (which I like, btw) is far more derivative than Soul Searchin. I find the late 80s/early 90s drums, driving guitar/bass and production to be incredibly derivative myself. Carl's vocal saves it from mediocrity, in my opinion, and lifts it to "pretty good" status.

Exactly, there's nothing in the chords structure of "Lahaina Aloha" that is ground breaking either. It has nice ear-catching chord changes, but they are not at all original or unique. Certainly, production-wise, for what it's worth, "Lahaina Aloha" is far less "timeless" than "Soul Searchin'." On "Lahaina Aloha", you can tell from a mile away that it was recorded and mixed in the early 90's. Harsh, fake-sounding drums, and the overall mixing and mastering screams early 90's digital.

I think "Lahaina Aloha" is a cool little song; probably the best thing on "SIP." It probably belongs on a career-spanning BB boxed set to best represent that era.

If you're more inclined to catchy, poppy stuff, I can see how you'd like "Lahaina Aloha" more than "Soul Searchin'." But if we're breaking it down in terms of originality and whatnot, I don't think "LA" is in any way more noteworthy.

I just completely disagree. Oh well. But lets at least remember that soul searchin is an Andy Paley song with some Brian Wilson lyrics. Not the other way around. My point being that it is in no way Beach Boys sacrilege to suggest that Soul Searchin as a song is just average and not particularly noteworthy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

I'm just being difficult. Pay me no mind.

Sadly, the best thread ever about Melinda's villainy disappeared from the board some time back ... It lives on if you do a bit of Googling, though. I started it, and there's a bunch of fun stuff on there. Including the fact that she called the Paley sessions demos. Boo! Hiss!

Grin

Don Was may have influenced her in the "demo" department...he consistently referred to those sessions as such, even though Andy went on record stating uncategorically that they were "masters, not demos"...as if what he intended to do with those songs would automatically elevated them to "releaseable" status (definitely NOT the case).

It's a weird thing, because I think most of the vocals are definitely scratch takes (including the fact that Andy does leads on some stuff that is very, very Brian, like "Frankie Avalon"). And some of the tracks (including, again, "Frankie Avalon" and "God Did It") are clearly works in progress.

But a lot of the tracks are fully orchestrated, complete with horns and sound effects and what not. It's hard to call the track to "Some Sweet Day," for example, a demo, or a lot of the bigger productions. It's not remotely on the level of the TLOS demos, which really are just the sound of two guys in a room. Andy and Brian were in real studios, with real studio guys.

Enough from me, though. Craig, why would you say the Paley tracks weren't releasable. (Assuming they got some decent leads and backing vox recorded.)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »

But lets at least remember that soul searchin is an Andy Paley song with some Brian Wilson lyrics. Not the other way around.

1.) Without lyrics, a song ain't a song.

2.) Andy's accounts of his work with BW are ... um ... shall we say, his role has grown in the telling.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »

Does anybody remember the Rolling Stone piece when Imagination was released? I recall Brian seemingly not too enthused with Imagination, and preferred to release the Paley stuff, but Melinda was dismissive of it.

Andy's accounts of his work with BW are ... um ... shall we say, his role has grown in the telling.

That is most definitely true. Certainly has caused him a problem or two, so to speak.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »

Does anybody remember the Rolling Stone piece when Imagination was released? I recall Brian seemingly not too enthused with Imagination, and preferred to release the Paley stuff, but Melinda was dismissive of it.

Andy's accounts of his work with BW are ... um ... shall we say, his role has grown in the telling.

That is most definitely true. Certainly has caused him a problem or two, so to speak.

Now this I've never heard of! Anybody got a scan of this? Or could at least type that article up?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »

I wish I still had it. It was a nice sized article, too. Brian also had a feature story in USA Today around that same time, too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »

There was an RS piece in 2000, when BW had briefly reunited with Andy and was working on some of the Paley sessions songs again. I remember that distinctly.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

There was an RS piece in 2000, when BW had briefly reunited with Andy and was working on some of the Paley sessions songs again. I remember that distinctly.

If anybody has any more info, I can look through the Rolling Stone Archives to try and find it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »

The one I'm thinking of also had a thing on Brian's cars.

It's possible the 2000 one might be what I'm thinking of, and the 1998 piece was just the USA Today one.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »

The one I'm thinking of also had a thing on Brian's cars.

It's possible the 2000 one might be what I'm thinking of, and the 1998 piece was just the USA Today one.

Yes, I remember the cars, too. Pretty sure that's the 2000-ish article.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »

So, I couldn't find the article in question.

But, I did find some other interesting stuff. Like a 1970 article written by Jack Rieley. Also, a Love You-era interview with a quote I love: "Now my escape is going to the gymnasium. There's nothing better to do with your time than go to the gym. I'm going to start lifting weights. I want to be toned."

And another fitting quote from an 80's article called "Was Brian Wilson Shanghaied?" where he says of his current situation "I don't know. It sure is weird."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:41 AM »

This would make sense timeline-wise...remember that Andy replaced Mike D'Amico in Brian's onstage band for most of 2001 and early 2002.  BTW, Brian's new lead vocal on "Still A Mystery" is from late 1999.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2013, 04:55:57 AM »

BTW, Brian's new lead vocal on "Still A Mystery" is from late 1999.

And there we have it. Wow...I would've pegged it as being even more recent than that. Wonders never cease!

So, I guess this was part of the aborted work that was to follow-up Imagination, and from which the applicable TWGMTR tracks also originated?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

And there we have it. Wow...I would've pegged it as being even more recent than that. Wonders never cease!

So, I guess this was part of the aborted work that was to follow-up Imagination, and from which the applicable TWGMTR tracks also originated?

I don't think so...by late '99 Joe Thomas was gone...so Brian probably tried working with Don Was again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »

I don't think so...by late '99 Joe Thomas was gone...so Brian probably tried working with Don Was again.

Yep. Suit was filed in August of 99.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »

Thanks to both of you -- really fascinating!

I'm trying to warp myself around and refresh my memory of the timeline, as it probably would've been sometime shortly after the Bridge Shows if it were, say, the fall of 1999, right? Any other evidence of studio material that may have been worked on with Was from around this time? Were the new vocals done at Mark Linett's studio or somewhere else?

Really looking forward to the sessionography as well.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »

I'm frankly surprised. There were never any reports that Brian was in the studio at the time. But it makes sense in retrospect, especially given that Paley was around again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2013, 02:08:20 AM »

And another fitting quote from an 80's article called "Was Brian Wilson Shanghaied?" where he says of his current situation "I don't know. It sure is weird."

That was early 1983, concerning his being flown to Hawaii late 1982 by Landy after the latter was rehired by BRI: the quote was in response to Carolyn Williams asking him to do something about her being evicted from the rental house they'd shared. Cross referencing with another thread, this is the single piece of BB history I'd go back and change, because the damage Landy did to Brian is still painfully evident today.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

That was early 1983, concerning his being flown to Hawaii late 1982 by Landy after the latter was rehired by BRI: the quote was in response to Carolyn Williams asking him to do something about her being evicted from the rental house they'd shared. Cross referencing with another thread, this is the single piece of BB history I'd go back and change, because the damage Landy did to Brian is still painfully evident today.

Assuming history could be changed in such a way that Brian still survived the 311-pound, chainsmoking mess he was at the time...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »

I'm trying to warp myself around and refresh my memory of the timeline, as it probably would've been sometime shortly after the Bridge Shows if it were, say, the fall of 1999, right? Any other evidence of studio material that may have been worked on with Was from around this time? Were the new vocals done at Mark Linett's studio or somewhere else?

Not after the Bridge School shows...earlier the same month.  And definitely not Linett's studio, as he apparently had no knowledge of the overdub until recently.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2013, 10:02:04 AM »

So...what year was it that the pitch correction was applied?  Evil

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

Not after the Bridge School shows...earlier the same month.  And definitely not Linett's studio, as he apparently had no knowledge of the overdub until recently.

Thanks again. Really fascinating stuff.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx