gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:35:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I didn't realize a stereo mix of "Do It Again" was possible  (Read 5369 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »

Were the three sections edited together then prior to '68? I didn't know that.

And I was using tinkering in reference to TSS and MIC.

And if it was tinkering, then what magnificent tinkering.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »

I love that they're still finding tapes...the 1967 solo "Surf's Up," and the "Do It Again" multitracks...it all makes me hold out hope that some day we'll get a nice stereo vocals-only "Good Vibrations"...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »

Allow me to directly quote you, emphasis mine: "If Cabinessence was a good example of Carl's "tinkering"...". Carl died in 1998. TSS was released in 2011, MiC just now.  Smiley

(BTW, is there any other bunch of fans who use song and album title acronyms like we do ?)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:30:38 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 05:29:58 AM »

Personally I'm a fan of TWOTS.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

As I said in another topic... perverts.  Evil

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »

Allow me to directly quote you, emphasis mine: "If Cabinessence was a good example of Carl's "tinkering"...". Carl died in 1998. TSS was released in 2011, MiC just now.  Smiley

(BTW, is there any other bunch of fans who use song and album title acronyms like we do ?)

This is the problem when I'm having the same discussion on three different threads. Somewhere else I'd been discussing the tinkering that has been done to TSS and MIC. I used the word here in relation to Carl because essentially he did the same thing to Cabinessence, i.e, changed / embellished / mucked about with what already existed, as Mark Linnet has done with TSS and MIC. Tinkering is being used as a derogatory thing, so I was putting it in a context where it was positive, i.e Carl finishing Cabinessence.

It's stopped making sense to me as well.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »

If "Smile" had come out in 1972, or '73, or any of those years, I don't think it would have had anywhere near the reception nor the impact that it had when it did finally come out. So whatever it was that Carl had in mind at that time, or whenever, I'm glad in a way it never amounted to anything but auditioning tapes from the vault.

And does it surprise anyone else but me that they never ran a safety copy or a backup copy of the stereo "Do It Again" master tape in the event that it were to meet a tragic fate like flying out of a car on the way to the record company?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
zachrwolfe
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

Oh well, "what ifs" are a pointless exercise.

Yet so much of this board and Beach Boys fandom is made up of "what ifs"
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »

And does it surprise anyone else but me that they never ran a safety copy or a backup copy of the stereo "Do It Again" master tape in the event that it were to meet a tragic fate like flying out of a car on the way to the record company?

"Stephen, Let's make a copy of this master , just in case we lose it in the canyon while we're sharing a splif...." 
Nahh...  don't see that even coming up. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »

"Stephen, Let's make a copy of this master , just in case we lose it in the canyon while we're sharing a splif...." 
Nahh...  don't see that even coming up. 

LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »

I think the workshop fragment was put at the end because of the slightly off drum fill ... covers it up and makes it 'make sense'.

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

There's also a wrong bass note for a second right near the fade (just after the drum fill you mention, actually) which is definitely on the original album mix, but which I never noticed there until I heard the MiC mix, because the Workshop stuff is coming in at that point on the original 2020 album, and it has always successfully distracted me! Maybe that was the idea behind the inclusion of the Workshop overdub, too...!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

Me too!  What do you guys think of TWOTS as a whole?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

Me too!  What do you guys think of TWOTS as a whole?

The more, the merrier.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx