gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:31:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RECORD COLLECTOR: Beach Boys Special  (Read 2092 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »

The new issue of Record Collector is a Beach Boys special. Great and very accurate little essay by the editor and an interesting interview with the band (plus a cool Stack O' Tracks photo shoot cover).

Two quotes from Mike:

''Brian told me on the 50th anniversary tour that he was doing LSD when he wrote California Girls''. (Wow, really? He'd never heard that before? I'm sure there's lost aborigine tribes in Outer Mongolia who know Brian was on LSD when he wrote that song...)

''Dennis was like the Wagner of the Beach Boys. He was up there on a whole other level''.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:23:18 AM »

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »

The new issue of Record Collector is a Beach Boys special. Great and very accurate little essay by the editor and an interesting interview with the band (plus a cool Stack O' Tracks photo shoot cover).

Two quotes from Mike:

''Brian told me on the 50th anniversary tour that he was doing LSD when he wrote California Girls''. (Wow, really? He'd never heard that before? I'm sure there's lost aborigine tribes in Outer Mongolia who know Brian was on LSD when he wrote that song...)

''Dennis was like the Wagner of the Beach Boys. He was up there on a whole other level''.

That last quote was from Al. They mistakenly attributed it to Mike in one highlighted area, but if you check the article itself, it's Al.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »

Two quotes from Mike:

That last quote was from Al. They mistakenly attributed it to Mike in one highlighted area, but if you check the article itself, it's Al.

Having just finished reading said article, yeah you're right (there's a fair few grammatical mistakes throughout the article actually. I'm assuming this is a misprint - Mike: ''Alan Jardine, myself and Bruce Johnston did drugs [Huh] and the Wilson brothers got into all kinds of things'').

Quite a moving section on Dennis, Al says some really nice things: ''He was under a shadow, he should have had his own solo career a lot sooner because frankly the Beach Boys model didn't work for him anymore. He ran out of time''.

Also, each member is asked to name what they consider the groups most under-rated album: Brian picks Summer Days... and Love You; Al picks Love You; Bruce picks Smiley Smile (Good call!! Almost makes me forgive his dislike of Friends...); Mike picks Wild Honey (on the title track: ''When I wrote that I was thinking salacious thoughts''.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:54:59 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
MBE
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »

Mike seems to really like Dennis' music and have a more measured view of him now. Big thing that bothers me is that Al and Mike make Brian's real decline come on much more dramatically and early than it was. You think with the box they would remember he was there all through Friends, most of the time on Sunflower, and at least half the time for Surf's Up and 20/20. I know it was a big change from when he was in sole charge, but it was a gradual one. I just think they get the era's mixed up. Mike was asked about Sunflower said how Brian wasn't around and then (seemingly confused on what was on Sunflower) talks about songs from the Holland era which was a very different Brian. Still that's what makes the history wrong sometimes. Al thinks McCartney produced the Smiley version of Vegetables so it really seems they are muddled about the 1967-70 era.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »

As John Stewart said to Peter O'Brien (founder of Omaha Rainbow), half seriously, half in exasperation, "Dammit O'Brien, you know more about me than I do - I should be asking you what I was doing in September 1975 !"

I think the same may be true of us, to an even greater degree in some respects.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »

I think very much in terms of time period, but I know the detail can get confused for those who lived it instead of studied it.

Putting 1975 Brian in 1967 is a pet peeve of mine, but as writers we can to try to make it so the lines become more clearly defined.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx