gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC in may hands!! Booklet review.  (Read 11982 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:10:52 AM »

Just got the set delivered 10 minutes ago! Packaging is beautiful. A faux-leather bound booklet the size of an LP. When I first opened it up I thought "WTF"? as all the existing band's signatures where in there!! The photographs start with a bang and go upwards from there. There are some pictures which I have never seen before - like a teenage Brian at the family piano. Then some B&W live gig pics circa 61 or 62 - THEN color ones!! In  many cases photo montages of ones that have grace back cover slicks - and with a bit of detective work you'll find a couple that are new. There are many of the individual Hawthorne front lawn shots which were used for the CD of the same name. Further interior Wilson home pics follow - alot I have not seen before. Then a stack of 1964 pictures many of which are alternates of 45 shots. SDaSN boat pictures and ASL outtakes are also there. Bruce is seen in the boat pics. Many B&W shots of the (I guess) Party! Including one which explains why we only ever saw the top half of Mike. Then come m,any Pet Sounds cover session shots from SD zoo. A nice big color Frank Holmes drawing of SU from the Smile booklet (would have been nice to have some more Smile session photos, but oh well). There are a set of the H&V promo shoot pics (where they are leaning on haystacks), and then some color pics of the guys circa 1967 playing sports. There is a glorious Sunflower gatefold shoot of the town square. A couple of SU session pics follow with the album cover. Then we move to 1976 with alts (and not so alts) of known pics from then through to the 1980's. Then a jump to the C50 concert pics. There is a 2012 group shot and then a curious set of location pics in and around LA which will get a few laughs followed by track details interspersed with candid shots from their long career. A nice dedication to Carl and Dennis and a complete list of session and band member alumni.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:20:44 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »

Did you get it from Amazon?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »

sh*t looks great. Thanks for the early bird review.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:33 AM »

sh*t does indeed look great. I may have to get a physical copy of this after all...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »

sh*t does indeed look great. I may have to get a physical copy of this after all...

You didn't expect the book to look like this?
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »

Yep I got it from Amazon.de and I pay for express shipping on an anual basis so I am usually guaranteed a time-of-day delivery. Also actually being_in_ Germany hepls.

Two more as a tease:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:16:53 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »

I'd have tidied away my wife's night clothes before taking the pictures. She's not going to be happy with you.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »

Fear not! It's just a throw for the couch.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:50 AM »

Those pictures are beautiful! Love the faux autograph section. Nice touch.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:25:59 AM »

3D 3D

I want.... Lucky man!

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »

Initial thoughts on the tracks:

Meant for You - reduced me to tears. Amazing vocal arrangement. So far the highlight for me.
Slip on Through - the fade out vox you get a tease snippet of the groove Dennis could have explored more. Man oh man - he _feels_ music!
Sherry Baby - awesome mix using the 1976 Brian vox plus flown in Sandy backings!! Seamless integration as well. Another standout track.
Where is She? - hauntingly beautiful and the tune sticks in your head long after.
Sail Plane Song - yowser - note to self: dont use as an LSD comedown track
Be With Me demo - sounds like Dennis would fit perfectly in a uptown jazz bar sitting lone at the piano
Barnyard Blues - why oh why did they leave stuff like this in the can when 15 Big Ones comes out instead?
California Feelin' demo - holy moly Batman - the missing link vocally between angelic and gruff Brian vocals
My Love Lives On - another why the f was this left in the can?
WIBNTL - if this is how Dennis' early 70's solo album would have sounded...

many tracks made me immediately think the Wilson are ideally suited to soundtrack music. I think given the opportunity they would have produced some amazing scores.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:56:10 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »

Just got the set delivered 10 minutes ago! Packaging is beautiful. A faux-leather bound booklet the size of an LP. When I first opened it up I thought "WTF"? as all the existing band's signatures where in there!! The photographs start with a bang and go upwards from there. There are some pictures which I have never seen before - like a teenage Brian at the family piano. Then some B&W live gig pics circa 61 or 62 - THEN color ones!! In  many cases photo montages of ones that have grace back cover slicks - and with a bit of detective work you'll find a couple that are new. There are many of the individual Hawthorne front lawn shots which were used for the CD of the same name. Further interior Wilson home pics follow - alot I have not seen before. Then a stack of 1964 pictures many of which are alternates of 45 shots. SDaSN boat pictures and ASL outtakes are also there. Bruce is seen in the boat pics. Many B&W shots of the (I guess) Party! Including one which explains why we only ever saw the top half of Mike. Then come m,any Pet Sounds cover session shots from SD zoo. A nice big color Frank Holmes drawing of SU from the Smile booklet (would have been nice to have some more Smile session photos, but oh well). There are a set of the H&V promo shoot pics (where they are leaning on haystacks), and then some color pics of the guys circa 1967 playing sports. There is a glorious Sunflower gatefold shoot of the town square. A couple of SU session pics follow with the album cover. Then we move to 1976 with alts (and not so alts) of known pics from then through to the 1980's. Then a jump to the C50 concert pics. There is a 2012 group shot and then a curious set of location pics in and around LA which will get a few laughs followed by track details interspersed with candid shots from their long career. A nice dedication to Carl and Dennis and a complete list of session and band member alumni.

Well I already spotted errors in the photos...
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »

Assuming of course they were the right way round originally... Afro
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:05:55 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Got mine today!!! Made In California .... bought in Wisconsin. There is a store in Milwaukee that never honors the release dates. I always buy early from them. Just got it home!!
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

Received mine today, unpacked it and love it. What a cool edition.

Let's see:

2011: Unpacked "the Smile Sessions"
2012: 50th Anniversary Tour
2013: Made in California

What will happen 2014?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »

A BB live box set.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MBE
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

Surf's Up era photos please???
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

Received mine today, unpacked it and love it. What a cool edition.

Let's see:

2011: Unpacked "the Smile Sessions"
2012: 50th Anniversary Tour
2013: Made in California

What will happen 2014?

MLPAC

Mike Love Presents Adult Child :D
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »

I once dated a girl called May Hands.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

"They're doin' it all over the world...................."

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »

2014: Love & Mercy

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

I once dated a cross-eyed seamstress who couldn't mend straight.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »

I once dated a cross-eyed seamstress who couldn't mend straight.

She seems like a bad fit for her job.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

Well May Hands takes it up the clacker so who cares?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »

"Clacker". Depending on what country you're from, it could be defined as:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clacker

I just wanna know what a Mooger Fooger is.  I'm almost afraid to look.......  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx