gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:42:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 72707 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »

Youngster needs a good spankin'.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself

Is that you, Bruce?
LOL LOL LOL That was wonderful.
As is WIBNTLA. I can't believe we're finally getting to hear it. My only wish is that the backing vocals would have been done in a more "Ahhh" style, similar to Adam Marsland's version. That would have made this absolutely perfect. Still, a great song, Tag and all.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »

Has the rough mix 'people in the know' have heard got the autotune and classic rock lead guitar on it?

Don't hear any of the first, but the "repeating figure" guitar part has always been talked about as part of the original recording.

Transcendental Meditation  Nice song. Dennis voice is in fine form - there is a noticeable lack of BB harmony work, I was hoping for more. The repetitive guitar lick
seemed a bit odd but then again it adds to the trance-like quality of the overall song. I like the shift caused by the tag because it acts
effectively to snap you out of the trance/ dreamy vocal section. I know this tune will grow on me the more I listen to it, especially when I can
hear it on my main system and not cheezy PC speakers.

I understand why Dennis wanted it to go after "Til I Die", since thematically & lyrically it fits perfectly after it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

Is that correct? I thought he was insistant upon it closing the album, that's all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »

This is a beautiful track, his voice is as good here as I've ever heard it. It actually makes POB a little harder to listen to, just because he sounds so clean here yet still with that edge.

The fact that these guys could just leave pieces of music like this laying around unfinished....it's crazy. But then again, the left a whole album of great music unfinished with SMiLE. Think they developed a real problem with closing the deal.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »

Just played it thru my Adam-A7s.  Fucking monster track! Yeah, Beach Boys background vocals might have added something (like Adam's cover) or not. My only critique is the kind of stoned, foggy guitar solo. Dennis just stuns on the vocal!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

Also, insidery folks, how much more of the tag is there before it kind of seems like the folks had stopped trying to play the part seriously? Is Dennis' intention for this section really known?

It goes on pretty seriously for a long time.  It never really breaks down until it breaks down, if that makes sense, and if I recall correctly.

Shoot - I'd love to hear the rest! Hopefully it's released somewhere at some point. Don't get me wrong, I understand the edit and the song is great either way, but still.

Thanks fer the response. ^_^
I think they should have let Charles Lloyd go nuts for a minute or so, and then went back the "who ever said" bits, then a fade out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »

Actually, if l remember correctly this tune was finished...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »

HOLY$HIT I just caved and listened to this track.

There is only one thing I can say:

1. Good Vibrations
2. Wouldn't it be nice to live again

As to how this was never released, I am completely baffled.
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
 2. Good Vibrations.

Yeah, I said it!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:23:16 PM by Diaphanous Moiety » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »

Has the rough mix 'people in the know' have heard got the autotune and classic rock lead guitar on it?

It's exactly as I recall hearing back in the day, but in the interests of research, I'll have a word with the legendary "Someone Who Would Know".

As for the rest of your comments in this thread... they don't deserve or require further comment from anyone here, least of all me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »

I haven't heard it... but the title doesn't even seem that promising. Seems rather forced.

Personally I think the title "Good Vibrations" is so... cliched. Don't think I'll listen to it.  Grin

bluesno1fann
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »

I wonder what SIP Mike and Juice Bronston would think of WIBNTLA?
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »

The song rules! It's classic Dennis and with amazing 1971 production values. Who is on drums? Dennis or Kowalski - the drums are awesome!
It definitely would've made Surf's Up a better album. Take A Load Off Your Feet (especially) and Student Demonstration Time don't fit too well for me. I don't really dig Disney Girls either - Bruce is a bit too twee/naff/square for me. Sometimes I have time for it though.

Although this isn't accurate at all - I've been listening this as a possible first album from DW.

All Of My Love
Lady
Sounds of Free
Barbara
4th Of July

I've Got A Friend
Carry Me Home
Cuddle Up
Make It Good
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »

Drums could have been Dennis - the basic track session was 5/23/71, and he didn't slice his hand for at least another two weeks.

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »

Instead of reading through seven pages of folks trying to describe this song, I learned all I need to know from one post in an Amazon discussion about MIC, which not only got right to the nitty-gritty about this topic, but "California Feelin' " as well... all within a couple of sentences.  

http://www.amazon.com/Tracklist/forum/Fx3VWAI12XJKJGR/Tx3U08893HAH038/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B008XZKSRY

I agree there's enough to entice you to get it some of the tracks you mentioned and a few that got my attention plus even the doubles are all tracks i play and i won't have to play a cd for just a few songs anymore because they'll all be on this thing,,,interesting they jump from different stereo mixes and mono eg 1996, 2002, 2012 you'd think they'd all be 2012 but they're not...California Feelin' i assume is the melody to california girls? wouldn't be nice is the same as the pet sound song but dennis sings it and say wouldn't be nice to live again...he had an interesting voice not to be discarded his solo album was better than anyone could imagine.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »

Instead of reading through seven pages of folks trying to describe this song, I learned all I need to know from one post in an Amazon discussion about MIC, which not only got right to the nitty-gritty about this topic, but "California Feelin' " as well... all within a couple of sentences.  

http://www.amazon.com/Tracklist/forum/Fx3VWAI12XJKJGR/Tx3U08893HAH038/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B008XZKSRY

I agree there's enough to entice you to get it some of the tracks you mentioned and a few that got my attention plus even the doubles are all tracks i play and i won't have to play a cd for just a few songs anymore because they'll all be on this thing,,,interesting they jump from different stereo mixes and mono eg 1996, 2002, 2012 you'd think they'd all be 2012 but they're not...California Feelin' i assume is the melody to california girls? wouldn't be nice is the same as the pet sound song but dennis sings it and say wouldn't be nice to live again...he had an interesting voice not to be discarded his solo album was better than anyone could imagine.

Just the facts, ma'm.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2013, 12:10:02 AM »

Holy f***.

WIBNTLA exceeds the hype  - it's just amazing, awesome and unreal. 

Unbelievable it was canned, and that it didn't get onto 15 B/O, Love You or KTSA (in lieu of the other archive raid artifacts), or booted before - would have been a great scoop for  Adult Child.

I was getting a bit MEH about MIC (not about Alan B or Mark L et als obviously stellar efforts, just Capitol's insistence we repurchase a majority of heavily milked stuff), but this stuff is starting to turn my head around - thanks for posting, I really appreciate it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »

I wonder what SIP Mike and Juice Bronston would think of WIBNTLA?

I'm glad that cousin Denny got another song out there. I like the song, it has lyrics I can relate to about boy and girls.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

If you had gotten the song early somehow, wouldn't you share it? This song was in the vaults too long  Tongue

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »

I don't know, Dick, I think it would be perfectly fine for us to have SEVENTY pages of superlatives for this one. It was clear it was at least very good from the Chaos Band version (lovely work from the wonderful Evie Sands, with Adam and the rest of the band giving it their all), but we now know that it's a track indelibly tied to the voice of Dennis Wilson and no one else.

In the album aesthetics that were in play back in the day, WIBNTLA is indisputably a closing track--it's gotta be the last track on a side, it would pointless to follow it with anything. You need at least the time it takes to get up and flip the record to let the full impact of the song have its effect. I'm no SDT basher, but WIBNTLA would have been one of the greatest WTF moments in rock history if it had been the Side 1 closer. A shame that it didn't, for as Donny said, it might have shifted the dynamics of the band in ways that might have precluded the events that many (most?) of us continue to lament.

It's such an unorthodox construction that it's hard to see it as a hit, but when the guitar kicks in at 2:27 it is--to try to follow Donny's assessment to a more specific observation--one of the five greatest emotionally galvanizing moments in the BB canon. The more times you hear it, the more it captures you. It had a shot to be an FM hit, I think--the early 70s, for all the repetitive torpor that was just around the corner, was still a time when a certain kind of overwrought grandeur could resonate. And Dennis nails it here, in a way that no one else could do.

How could it never get played live? The BBs gave "River Song" a few shots, but--my God--how could a live audience not fall rapturously in love with WIBNTLA? It was made to be played iive!

WIBNTLA proves that Dennis was just as good as Brian at creating out-of-nowhere transitions that magically work, often in spite of themselves. Of course, as Jon, Donny, and runners have said, he does it differently, with a more direct connection to rock'n'roll. I would venture to say that it's Dennis's "Can't Wait Too Long", except that it's a finished track, totally coherent, but amazingly alive and spontaneous.

There's no pitch "correction" here, though it's possible that the track was slowed down in order to let Dennis sing in a more comfortable register...we know that this happened on certain tracks ("Slip On Through"). But I think it's just as likely that he sang it "as is." Whatever the case, there's no question that it's his greatest vocal.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:12 AM »

It's funny to see people being so ecstatic about all the songs that have been leaked so far, when a month or three ago virtually the entire board had very little positive things to say about what was or wasn't on MIC.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »

If you had gotten the song early somehow, wouldn't you share it? This song was in the vaults too long  Tongue

Would depend on the source and any constraints on sharing. That it hasn't been so much as leaked, much less booted, should tell you all you need to know about the latter, and the integrity of the very few it (obviously) was shared with.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:36 AM »

The guy is a complete f*ckwit - been a fan for three years or so, has read Brian's pseudobiography. Claims Mike sued to keep unreleased tracks off the box, and lost, and that this was in a UK magazine. Bullshit, as we all know.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »

Man, can you imagine if the C50 backing band had performed this live, with Dennis's voice on top of everything?  Grin The place would have gone nuts!! They could have dimmed the lights so the only thing you saw was a montage of pictures of Dennis? Or maybe they could have put the spotlight on Dave for the guitar solo.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

Here's my 2¢ - when the chorus kicks in at 0.32, if every single hair on your body doesn't stand on end, then... well... I don't know what to say.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx