gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681385 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 12:54:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 73625 times)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »

Very good song made great by the vocal and the arrangement/production. I'd rate it just below 'Surf's Up' and 'Til I Die' and ahead of 'Feel Flows'. Great lost (until now) classic.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »

I DO
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »

In 1972, The Doors released Full Circle, which was their second and last album recorded after the death of Jim Morrison. There is a song on that album, "The Piano Bird", which has a very similar instrumental fadeout as on "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again". The fadeout on "The Piano Bird" is dominated by Charles Lloyd on flute. I'm assuming Charles played the flute on the Surf's Up album sessions. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to mention it.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

It certainly holds up to multiple listens doesn't it?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

You notice that '4th of July' fades in and out kind of strangely, I always thought it might have been spliced out of an early version or something.

The song as presented on the 1993 box was comped from three separate tapes:

- the instrumental track...

- Carl's work vocal...

- a safety copy of the flute coda.

Also, remember that "Live Again" & "4thoJ" didn't make it to Surf's Up because Carl & Dennis butted heads over the sequencing and Denny pitched a hissyfit and pulled his tracks from the album.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:36:19 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

I also think it's likely that "Carry Me Home" was viewed as pushing the social commentary too far by various folks, and would have been taken out of the running relatively early.

Given that "CMH" wasn't recorded until after Surf's Up was released, I'd venture it was never in the running for inclusion.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

What a perfect magical song.
Wow.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
MBE
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »

I disagree with any that say this is short of a masterpiece. Til I Die (and maybe Long Promised Road) is the only other thing from those sessions in the same category.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »

You notice that '4th of July' fades in and out kind of strangely, I always thought it might have been spliced out of an early version or something.

The song as presented on the 1993 box was comped from three separate tapes:

- the instrumental track...

- Carl's work vocal...

- a safety copy of the flute coda.

Also, remember that "Live Again" & "4thoJ" didn't make it to Surf's Up because Carl & Dennis butted heads over the sequencing and Denny pitched a hissyfit and pulled his tracks from the album.

I think many of us hear would die to know what Carl's suggested sequence was and what Dennis' suggested sequence was. I am surprised this has never really been categorically stated (at least not to my very limited knowledge).
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »

Heard it on Youtube. Utterly amazing. 'Baby Blue' is still my favorite Dennis song, but this might be second or third. I dunno if I like it as much as 'Forever' but man....frickin' spectacular. That man could sing, don't let anyone tell you different.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »

Not getting the negativity toward the tag. It was made to seem like aimless noodling after the song was actually finishedm by earlier reports, but holy jeez, I really like it and wished it didn't fade so early. You just start to get into where it's headed when it starts to fade. I'm not normally into this sort of thing, but it's perfect, as is the supposedly incomplete "guitar solo" section. Perfect as is, all of it.

The song as a whole is really great. I don't understand how it took this long to release a song this good. I'll also say that I've been tired of the hype for maybe a couple years now and, as childish as it is, I was tired of hearing about it by this point. It's so darn good, though. I won't babble on about my experience too much, but I did manage to hold off a few hours, as I'm out of town right now on a (coincidental!) trip to the shore. Very lucky to have Wi-Fi access where I am, it wasn't expected.

Anyway, took a walk, stood in the ocean, looked out and listened to a few songs from MIC, including this one five times. First two listens were waves of goosebumps, third brought a bit of teh choked-up-ness (if only because of a few particular lines which hit close to home for me right now and omg no-longer-living guy does beautiful things). Again, I don't want to babble on for the sake of seeming like an over-dramatic dipshit, but it was a very, very nice experience.

Thanks, Denny.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:41:24 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »

The tag is like...my favorite part  LOL
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »

Also, insidery folks, how much more of the tag is there before it kind of seems like the folks had stopped trying to play the part seriously? Is Dennis' intention for this section really known?

Also, while I love the song, I have to say I can't really place it on the Surf's Up album. Maybe it's the fact that the mix is more modern and clean where as the Surf's Up album has a slight layer of murk over it, but it just doesn't seem to fit anywhere, to me. Carl And The Passions or Holland seem much more fitting, for various reasons. Either way, again, I'm baffled as to how Dennis did not insist on its release on a later album, especially POB where he had no one to answer to but himself, and further baffled as to how such a great and important piece of the Beach Boys catalog remained shelved for frigging forty-two years.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

I haven't heard it... but the title doesn't even seem that promising. Seems rather forced.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »

Has the rough mix 'people in the know' have heard got the autotune and classic rock lead guitar on it?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Fun fact: I just found the song on tumblr, and went to view it from the beach boys tag onto the blog, and as soon as it loaded, out comes out "Wouldn't it Be Nice". From Pet Sounds. Thinking I've been gipped, I throw down my headphones in disgust and realize that the song has not been started. However, spotify was open, and had started playing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" at that EXACT moment. Freaky.

As for the song itself: It's nice. Very good. I wouldn't call it Dennis' magnum opus (much of POB outstrips it in my opinion, as well as Carry Me Home) but this is easily one of the best combinations of his earlier rocking material like Slip On Through with his heartfelt ballads like Barbara. My favorite bit was the tag, I'm almost curious to hear what that extra noodling would sound like.  LOL

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

Has the rough mix 'people in the know' have heard got the autotune and classic rock lead guitar on it?

Don't hear any of the first, but the "repeating figure" guitar part has always been talked about as part of the original recording.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

I'm almost curious to hear what that extra noodling would sound like.  LOL

That will be on the next box set  Roll Eyes

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

What a perfect magical song.
Wow.

This is one of the crowning glories of the Beach Boys canon IMO. The level of emotionality, triumphant yearning, and mystical, transcendent joy on display in this vocal, arrangement, production and overall concept elevate it to another level entirely. The melancholia in much of his work is here transfigured into a clarion call for the beauty of love and a celebration of the sensitivity of the human spirit. MAGNIFICENT!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

That would be Mark Linett. Nice guy. Care to elaborate?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »

Just heard it, definitely NOT as bad as Barbara or Make It Good, but it's still not on the level of any of the other Surf's Up tracks. I'm glad it's not on it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:37:04 PM by Gabo » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:39:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:48:20 PM by zatch » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx