gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:46:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 73003 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »

Cottonfields wasn't really written by Al, nor was Come Go With Me, and the catchy intro to Lady Lynda was certainy not written by Al. California has also been comapred to a reworking of California Girls. Now if you talk about as lead vocalists, I would say Al contributed to the sales most greatly in Help Me Rhonda, wheras Dennis' would be Do You Wanna Dance.

True but these songs wouldn't have been recorded if Al hadn't suggested/produced them. Therefore he was responsible for them being hits.

If Brian had sung Help Me Rhonda and Do You Wanna Dance then they would still have been huge hits imo.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »

Fair enough!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »

Who produced WIBNTLA?

Dennis.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »

Very few moments can top my hearing this song for the first time.

Agreed

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »

Don't recall anyone saying that SU (the LP) would have been "massive" as a result of WIBNTLA. Don't have the time to go back into the posts to look, apologies for that.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. What you say about WIBNTLA getting some airplay is perfectly possible.

No issues, no worries! But what I can tell you is that I sure would love to have heard this track in 1971!!!  Smokin
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »

Very few moments can top my hearing this song for the first time.

Agreed

I fell into a trance during the solo. Honestly one of my best Beach Boys moments.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 29, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »

I really love the guitar in this track. Was it played by Carl?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

It's a grower, I'll say that. I like it more & more as I keep replaying it. Smiley

I'm right with you drbeachboy....that's how I felt initially upon my first hearing it a few days ago.  My reaction was definitely positive when I first heard it but definitely not the overwhelming love everyone else is expressing.   What are your thoughts about the song after stewing over it a few days?

I gave it another proper listen today and I keep finding new things to like about it.  But I really couldn't help trying to struggle with the hype that had existed for this song and now people confirming that is indeed Dennis' true masterpiece.  I may eventually agree with that...but just not yet.

I had to go back and listen to "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up" off "Carl and The Passions."  To me, WIBNTLA fits as a little suite with these two tunes.  The similarities to "Cuddle Up" are very clear.  "Cuddle Up" was always a favorite for me and I always believed it hit all the right spots and I think Dennis nailed everything about that song.  It's huge, majestic and extremely emotional.  WIBNTLA definitely challenges it. 

So, I'm still processing the song and trying to work through how I feel about it.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 30, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »

As much as I like the coda, I think fading out just as it starts makes the song a bit tighter.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 30, 2013, 03:41:55 PM »

It's a grower, I'll say that. I like it more & more as I keep replaying it. Smiley

I'm right with you drbeachboy....that's how I felt initially upon my first hearing it a few days ago.  My reaction was definitely positive when I first heard it but definitely not the overwhelming love everyone else is expressing.   What are your thoughts about the song after stewing over it a few days?

I gave it another proper listen today and I keep finding new things to like about it.  But I really couldn't help trying to struggle with the hype that had existed for this song and now people confirming that is indeed Dennis' true masterpiece.  I may eventually agree with that...but just not yet.

I had to go back and listen to "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up" off "Carl and The Passions."  To me, WIBNTLA fits as a little suite with these two tunes.  The similarities to "Cuddle Up" are very clear.  "Cuddle Up" was always a favorite for me and I always believed it hit all the right spots and I think Dennis nailed everything about that song.  It's huge, majestic and extremely emotional.  WIBNTLA definitely challenges it. 

So, I'm still processing the song and trying to work through how I feel about it.
I am still at the point where I still agree with Carl. Short of Surf's Up not being used, then yes, a great song to end the album. As for the song itself, I like the ending as is. Very 1971-ish. I made a playlist using

DGNTW
4th of July
LPR
DG
SDT

FF
LAT
ADITLOAT
TID
(WIBNT) LA

Works as a very nice, but moody album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »

As much as I like the coda, I think fading out just as it starts makes the song a bit tighter.
Totally agree. Could the coda been what started the beef with Carl. Dennus wanted the coda left on?
The coda just sounds like an impromptu little jam. It's cool but doesn't fit.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 30, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »

It definitely would have worked in terms of sequencing to have a song called Live Again follow 'Til I Die, assuming 'Til I Die would still be the penultimate track.  Though I've always loved Surf's Up as a closer.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »

My review: it's a very interesting and unique track. Very glad it's on the box set and I like it. Although I can't imagine it being on surfs up. Where would it fit? And it really doesn't sound like a beach boys track at all. But bottom line is that WIBNTLA is in no way a lost classic. Sorry folks. Good, but not great. You're Still a Mystery on the other hand... Wow...
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

Like most Dennis songs, it could have had tighter lyrics. "High on a hill, making love," is a bad lyric and has aged just as well as those in Student Demonstration Time.

Furthermore, like Cuddle Up, the title just seems like a phrase used to add the bare minimum of interest to an otherwise faceless love song. Not that I don't like the chorus...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:49:57 PM by Gabo » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »

If I was a more vindictive man, I'd find the c**t who mixed this, and flush his sorry head down the toilet.

You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin

I don't give a triple toed flying f*** what some pitiful little messageboard c*** thinks about me. Go f*** yourself

Glad to see this idiot has revealed himself for the short-tempered troll buffoon he is...

So I got back from the pub, after a glorious eight or so pints, put on the unreleased D/W gem we've all been waiting to hear, and find

a/ The BVs have been buried. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed the person who mixed this had never heard the Beach Boys before. All the focus is on the lead vocal, to the expense of everything else, and that's just not how a BB production is meant to work. Where the vocals play off each other at the start of the fade....you should be able to HEAR what's going on, like the end of Surfs Up, or Til I die, Leaving this Town.

b/ The long held notes? Auto Tune. And if someone is being smart and denying the use of 'Auto Tune' itself, then fine, but there are other products of different names which have exactly the same affect. It's obvious on Sherry She Needs me- why would there be any doubt that it'd be used across the board.

Sure, unless you're in the studio looking at the plugin chain, you can't say for sure, but I know my way around pro tools, and that sure sounds like AT to me. Maybe they think they've done something smart like tuning the reverb returns rather than the actual lead or something, but it's still noticable. They've made one of the most beautiful vocal tones ever sound like a robot.

As to my general manners in the face of such disappointment. 'Mikie' -

"You're really something else, aren't ya?  I'd hate to cross paths with you if you were any more vindictive.  We'd find out really quick who's head would end up in the toilet.  Hint hint: It wouldn't be mine.  Grin"

Forgive me for not caring that 'someone on the internet' thinks they could 'have me'.

For me saying I'd contemplate flushing Mark Linetts head down the toilet is a vaguely amusing (to me) way of expressing my disappointment at the awful job he's done on this box set. No apologies you brought the beef you despicable old git.

Auto tune, digital reverb, crazy panning on sail plane song? sh*t mastering? We've had final confirmation that the Beach Boys should leave box sets to the Bootleggers.

And Disney Boy:

As if I care what some fucking c*** on the fucking internet thinks of me. Why don't you fucking f*** yourself, you fucking c***.

Good enough for a permanent ban, do we think? I'm done with this nest of fucking pricks Wink
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: August 31, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »

You either had too many pints or too few.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2013, 04:24:49 AM »

You either had too many pints or too few.

I think I would have needed at least twice as many to not have immediately noticed the rubbish mix and auto tune.

Was definitely at prime number of pints to have zero tolerance for Mikie and his passive agressive bullshit. Jesus what a c***. I hope he's nicer in real life.

*awaits ban hammer*
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:34 AM »

As someone who is highly attuned (no pun inteneded) to pitch correction, I have to say I can't hear it on WIBNTLA. Whereabouts in the track are you hearing it?
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2013, 05:36:41 AM »

As someone who is highly attuned (no pun inteneded) to pitch correction, I have to say I can't hear it on WIBNTLA. Whereabouts in the track are you hearing it?

Every long note almost. I wish I couldn't hear it, but I can, and it's hugely, hugely disappointing. I can just about ignore it now I've had a week to get used to it, but it rankles for sure.

Who ever sZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZD

Anyway- if no one else can hear it, I'm happy for you, and honestly don't care whether I'm written off as a troll or not. I've run it past a few fellow engineer types, who share my suspicions...

I wonder whether playing this onto a too hot domestic reel to reel with a wobble issue and a hissy left channel might restore some mystique. Hmmm
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #369 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »

Every long note almost. I wish I couldn't hear it, but I can, and it's hugely, hugely disappointing. I can just about ignore it now I've had a week to get used to it, but it rankles for sure.

Who ever sZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZD

Anyway- if no one else can hear it, I'm happy for you, and honestly don't care whether I'm written off as a troll or not. I've run it past a few fellow engineer types, who share my suspicions...

I wonder whether playing this onto a too hot domestic reel to reel with a wobble issue and a hissy left channel might restore some mystique. Hmmm

There's no autotune on WIBNTLA. You're just reveling in saying you're disappointed and looking for things to moan about.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 31, 2013, 05:49:06 AM »

There's no autotune on WIBNTLA. You're just reveling in saying you're disappointed and looking for things to moan about.

Go f*** yourself you pissy little bitch.

I don't give a bollock what some internet c*** thinks.
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 31, 2013, 06:09:05 AM »

Didn't you just get banned for saying that a week ago?

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 31, 2013, 06:12:35 AM »

I like it although I think it would have benefitted from more complex vocals at the end of the song. But I think My Love Lives On surpasses it. Personal opinion but this one is restrained, thoughtful, profound and emotional. I like Farewell My Friend but My Love Lives On would have made a good alternative to be played at Dennis' funeral IMO.

It surprises me that Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again gets so much attention now that we can now hear both of them. About 15 pages re WITBNA and 2 re My Love Lives On when I last looked.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:18:32 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 31, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »

Didn't you just get banned for saying that a week ago?

I did. I'm searching for the word that will lead to a permanent banning though. What's worse than c*** on the schoolyard profanity league table?

This place is ludicrous. I'm just taking things to their logical extreme.

1/ I make a joke about flushing someone's head down the toilet

2/ Receive ridiculous 'if this were real life I'd kick your ass' threat from 'Mikie'

3/ Call Mikie a c***

4/ Get banned

5/ Pissy little bitch Disney Girl has a go

6/ Call Disney Girl a c***

7/ Get banned.

I mean...ffs. There's no respect for anyone elses opinion round here, no debate, just a bunch of fucking Gnomes knee deep in sh*t arguing over which one's tallest.  f*** it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:28:13 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:35 AM »

Whoa, its time for you to mediate....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx